Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Support Mom and Pop

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've decided to start patronizing my local mom and pop breakfast joints at least once a week. I've never liked Starbucks because of the coffee, but I really love the friendly unpretentious atmosphere of the neighborhood diner. I used to be put off by literally ubiquitous greasy spoons until I realized that the overpriced four and five star places also offered cutlery with questionable matter on it. Yes, the menus should be cleaned off more often, but I love the way the owner is usually at the grill, and every customer is valued and treated as such. Homefries made right are good for the soul.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hear, hear! When I could afford it, I used to eat breakfast in the little mom-n-pop lunchroom downtown every Saturday morning, and there's nothing like being able to plop down at a counter and have your order handed to you fresh and hot without even having to ask for it. One scrambled egg, side of sausage, white toast, strong tea -- a great way to start the day!

Feraud

Bartender
I agree we need to support the mom & pop diners!
We have a couple of greasy spoon joints in Queens that are "A o.k." in my book. Nothing beats a ham steak and eggs with lots of hot sauce in the a.m. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I would if there were one near me. I miss Mickey's Diner in St. Paul. When I saw it in the Prairie Home Companion movie I let out an audible sigh.

800px-Mickey27s_Diner.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Here

There's a mom & pop in my hometown, but it sold a couple of years ago to some "rules" people. You know the type. Right on the front door:
NO PUBLIC RESTROOMS
NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED
NO FLIP FLOPS
SUNDAY LUNCH MUST HAVE RESERVATION (for a teeny greezy diner!)

The food isn't worth running the gauntlet of rules. So, off to Bob Evans.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

My town has tons of independent restaurants. Greek, American, fishhouses, Asian, barbecue, and your run of the mill greasy spoons. I very rarely eat at a chain.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Mom and Pops

PrettySquareGal said:
I've decided to start patronizing my local mom and pop breakfast joints at least once a week...

If we can support a local restaurant, hardware store, toy store, sewing shop or independent film house or smaller playhouse, that's what we do.

There's life and soul in those places, and it's so much more of an adventure than a "process."

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
imoldfashioned said:
I would if there were one near me. I miss Mickey's Diner in St. Paul. When I saw it in the Prairie Home Companion movie I let out an audible sigh.

800px-Mickey27s_Diner.jpg
You're right, there aren't many mom n pops in our area. One you may not know about that is actually really good is on Harvard Street in Allston called The Grecian Yearning. It's the closest thing to a real diner that Boston has. I never understood why Boston doesn't have any diners, such a disappointment!

I get my morning coffee from a local bagel shop. They have the best coffee, and I always liked the idea of supporting this small local business. They also are the only place I know of with good bagels in this area. Another thing lacking in Boston, real bagels. Oh, and theirs really not the best pizza here either..

Anyway, whenever I can, I prefer to support the local smaller shoppes. I just think that they tend to have better quality, and they take the time to get to know you.

Elaina

One Too Many
I usually eat at local ones, but we also do the chains. Why? Because the mom and pops (aside from the greasy spoons) don't allow smoking and my husband won't go. He also doesn't like restaurants that are of questionable cleanliness, so I take myself and the boy to them.

The one diner I used to go to all the time was recently sold to a man who is not an American citizen. I quit patronizing the establishment because he fired all the American english speaking workers for those that are working under the table and bring you something different then what you order. I just follwed the waitress to her new, chain, job.

scotrace said:
There's a mom & pop in my hometown, but it sold a couple of years ago to some "rules" people. You know the type. Right on the front door:
NO PUBLIC RESTROOMS
NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED
NO FLIP FLOPS
SUNDAY LUNCH MUST HAVE RESERVATION (for a teeny greezy diner!)

The food isn't worth running the gauntlet of rules. So, off to Bob Evans.

I can actually agree with the first three. Sounds vintage enough for me. "No shirt, no shoes---no service." ;) :p

Regards,

J

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Wonder what they'd do if a bunch of us walked in and started TXTing each other, with our ringers on "vibrate."

On Sunday.

At lunchtime.

And on being rousted out, asked, one by one, to use the restroom.

I'm still trying to work in the flip flop angle. Maybe wear 'em with argyles? :D

Fletch said:
Wonder what they'd do if a bunch of us walked in and started TXTing each other, with our ringers on "vibrate."

On Sunday.

At lunchtime.

And on being rousted out, asked, one by one, to use the restroom.

I'm still trying to work in the flip flop angle. Maybe wear 'em with argyles? :D

You would each end up flying out by the scruff of your neck via the vintage way. :p ;)
Oh, and once outside, spanked with flip flops. ;) lol

Regards,

J

s7eng

New in Town
Step back in time

I had a wonderful Mom and Pop experience a few years back. Wound up in a small town in Ohio. It was the town restaurant/convenient store/video store/flooring store. We sat at tables and booths and ordered lunch. When it came time to pay, there were no tickets. You just went up to the cash register and told the lady what you had, total honor system. You could have convinced me that we had entered a time warp.

griffer

Practically Family
Elaina said:
The one diner I used to go to all the time was recently sold to a man who is not an American citizen. I quit patronizing the establishment because he fired all the American english speaking workers for those that are working under the table and bring you something different then what you order. I just follwed the waitress to her new, chain, job.

Well, if this isn't LOADED with xenophobia and innuendo.

This post makes me very sad. This used to be the land of immigrant opportunity, now laws and litigation have forced opportunity into the black and gray market.

CORRECTION, see post below, I was incorrect in my assumption.

Elaina

One Too Many
I also refuse to have to learn a third language to order food.

And to the fact that the new owner...I met him, on his way back to his country, while he complained loudly about mine and how he was glad he never became a citizen. So, sorry. I heard that by my own ears. But it falls into political, hence I can't say too much more.

Whatever, it's convience. I don't go to places where I, and the one taking my order, have a language barrier. I'll go somewhere else for convience of getting my order taken in English, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo