Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweat Band Won't Lay Flat. Remedy?

MJL

One of the Regulars
I picked up one of the newer "Temple" Stetson fedoras being sold by Grapehillvine a few weeks ago. I have been busy dealing with Katrina, Rita and their aftermaths at work so I haven't had a chance to look at this hat too hard. Well, I wore it to work the other day despite the fact it is still 90+oF and high humidity here in Southern Florida. It looks good and I got a lot of strange looks from my coworkers and students. OH well! Anyway, although I like the hat a lot I do have one beef that I would like to request help with. The sweat band has a sort of ripple or wrinkle in it where it does not lay flat. The ripple is large enough for me to be able to stick my finger into. When I put the hat on my head it kind of feels weird where the ripple is as the sweat band bulges out a little bit. Can I just "wear" this into place? What are your suggestions for getting the sweat band to lay flat?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Try putting some leather conditioner, or what have you on the sweatband and try mainipulating and massaging it for a while- then put the hat on for a while and see if it makes a difference. If you have a suitable shaper, block, or stretcher, or anything of the correct size, you could put the hat on that and let the band conform while it is wet with conditioner-

B
T

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Part of the reason for the "ripple effect" is that Stetson along with most other companies today dont measure the leathers exactly sometimes . When the hats are made and the leather is sewn in and it;s slightly big , you have a little problem. It should flatten out over time as the leather softens up.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Stetson sweatband

Part of the problem with Stetsons from Grapevinehill is they 1)are seconds(look for a punch hole in the sweat) and 2) the sweatband is not leather, it's leatherette(synthetic) and does not conform to ones head as well as leather.

I own one from them and will not buy another. The price is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

MJL

One of the Regulars
jeboat said:
Part of the problem with Stetsons from Grapevinehill is they 1)are seconds(look for a punch hole in the sweat) and 2) the sweatband is not leather, it's leatherette(synthetic) and does not conform to ones head as well as leather.

I own one from them and will not buy another. The price is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

With my hat size I have to take what I can get. With that in mind I Have picked up four hats from Grapevinehill. Two were Stetson cowboy hats and two were fedoras. One of the cowboy hats seems to be old stock as it appears to have older markings on the sweat band. One of the Fedoras, the one in question, does, in fact, have a punch in the sweat band. I got it cheap enough but would like to make it work regardless due to the lack of hats in my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic