Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sword and Sorcery Movies from the 80's

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Lucio Fulci is the Mozart of stinky-bad Z grade filmaking and Conquest is one of his stinky-baddest. Topped in awfulness only by the few moments in Conan the Barbarian when Arnold reads (phonetically, I guess) his long prayer to Crom. S&S just has to be bad to be good.

peliculas.3761.IMAGEN1.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thinking it would be another Conan, I convinced my mom to take me to see this masterpiece at a local grindhouse theater called The Circle.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086340/
What it turned out to be was a movie about (I think),topless identical twins. I spent the entire time squirming in my seat next to my mom. Brutal.

Hondo

One Too Many
Dragonslayer

I have this "thing" for Caitlin Clarke ever since Dragonslayer, a beautiful young, talented actress no longer with us in this excellent film for Sword & Sorcery fans.

Amazon.com essential video
Despite its box-office failure in 1981, Dragonslayer was gradually recognized as one of the finest fantasies to emerge from the post-Star Wars boom in special effects. It's still one of the best adventures of its kind, featuring one of the most fearsome fire-breathing serpents in movie history. Ominously named Vermithrax Pejorative, this ill-tempered monster terrorizes the peasantry of sixth-century England, feeding on maidens sacrificed by a duplicitous king until a sorcerer's apprentice named Galen (Peter MacNicol, long before Ally McBeal) is recruited as a reluctant hero. Aided by a tenacious beauty (Caitlin Clarke) and his resurrected mentor (Ralph Richardson), Galen confronts the soaring beast in a breathtaking climax. Employing a then-innovative technique called Go-Motion to animate the dragon, the special effects are still dazzling, and stunning locations in Scotland and Wales allow director Matthew Robbins (cowriter of Steven Spielberg's feature debut, The Sugarland Express) to maintain a vivid atmosphere for the wealth of movie magic. --Jeff Shannon

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hondo said:
I have this "thing" for Caitlin Clarke ever since Dragonslayer, a beautiful young, talented actress no longer with us in this excellent film for Sword & Sorcery fans.
Ahh yes...Vermithrax Pejorative: "The Worm of Thrace Who Makes Things Worse".

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Excalibur, with the magnificent Helen Mirren as Morgan le Fay, and Nicol Williamson as Merlin.
Wasn't Dragonslayer Ralph Richardson's last role? (No, it wasn't, Dan.) Great film, anyway.
Clash of the Titans doesn't quite fit the category, but it's close.

Hondo

One Too Many
Excalibur well made,I enjoyed, never tire of it,
It also has a small part with Patrick Stewart
(StarTreks Capt. Jean-Luc Picard)
And Ralph Richardson was great in Dragonslayer,
but then its me Caitlin Clarke who moves this heart of mine ;)

dhermann1 said:
Excalibur, with the magnificent Helen Mirren as Morgan le Fay, and Nicol Williamson as Merlin.
Wasn't Dragonslayer Ralph Richardson's last role? (No, it wasn't, Dan.) Great film, anyway.
Clash of the Titans doesn't quite fit the category, but it's close.

Not a real big Tom Cruise fan but in the early years "Legend" stands out even today, plus Tim Curry to boot! ;)

An early Cruise film, and Tim Curry as the Lord Of Darkness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran