Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T-Shirts on Women?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I recall making an enlightening and pertinent post in this thread months ago but I now see that it was expungeded.......That's sad........:(

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's sad? So is highlighting your 'enlightening and pertinent' post, which it was not. Like I said before, don't comment if you are not going to add to the conversation.

LD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's sad? So is highlighting your 'enlightening and pertinent' post, which it was not. Like I said before, don't comment if you are not going to add to the conversation.
Pray tell, in what way was my commentary lacking? Do you even remember what I wrote?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ancestry.com hosts every single Sears catalog from 1896 until 1993 and I am learning more about fashion from looking at them then I ever have from all my books combined that I've collected since 1998 (when I got into vintage bigtime.)

Looking at the catalogs in chronological order is like watching time go by before your very eyes and you can see EXACTLY when and where certain things began to change (hems, sleeves, silhouettes, etc.)

You also see lots of "ugly" things lol and also things that totally break a lot of fashion myths about the "Golden Era." I love looking at these catalogs and I'm saving pages like crazy!!!

Last edited:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
just came across this picture from 1950 of a girl in a t-shirt and jeans

hmm... can't make the image work! here's a link: http://www.life.com/image/3166432/in-gallery/35032/fashion-trends-of-the-40s-and-50s

Last edited:

MizzAlice

New in Town
1930's-1940's T Shirts!

We've gone through various specific fashion items on this board (Horrockses come to mind), but it appears no one has touched on vintage T shirts. They've been around since the turn of the century and were mainly an undergarment, but in the late 30's/early 40's era they started to emerge as an everyday wardrobe item. Pictures of them from this period have been elusive though. This is one of a few that I have found:

http://www.vintagedancer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Esther-Gene-Womens-Pants-Nautical-shirt-July-1940-Shorpy-169x300.jpg

I've also seen a pic or two of 'puff' sleeve versions for women. Has anyone got any photos of shirts they can share?

MizzAlice

Miss Sis

One Too Many
There is already a thread on this subject, complete with pictures!

Edit: I have just searched for said thread and cannot find it. It is here in The Powder Room somewhere. Amy Jeanne and others posted lots of pics of actual vintage ladies in t-shirts. Can anyone better at using the search function than me help?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy