Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailcoat Advice?

gamez32

One of the Regulars
Hello all
I'm new to the forum, though I have been sticking my head in from time to time picking up tips here and there.
Anyhow, I would love to hear some advice about what I can wear with this tailcoat that I found today. I'm getting married in a few months and would love to wear this; I just need some advice from you all. Any information/help/advice about what to wear head to toe would be definitely appreciated.

Bugsy

One Too Many
gamez32 said:
Hello all
I'm new to the forum, though I have been sticking my head in from time to time picking up tips here and there.
Anyhow, I would love to hear some advice about what I can wear with this tailcoat that I found today. I'm getting married in a few months and would love to wear this; I just need some advice from you all. Any information/help/advice about what to wear head to toe would be definitely appreciated.

I've never seen a tailcoat like that before. It almost looks to me as though someone cut an overcoat down to make a period costume.

Welcome to the Lounge. Where in California are you?

GBR

One of the Regulars
Looks more like 'costume' than something that one would wear seriously - let alone to a wedding..
Suggest burn it and get yourself a decent suit - advice on that abounds here.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I agree with what's been said already. Not much you could do with that except perhaps an early-19th century themed wedding, a la Jane Austen.

In which case, wear it with tight tan-colored trousers and knee boots, a waistcoat that buttons to the neck, a white shirt with a high stock collar and a long linen cloth wrapped several times around your neck and tied like a bow tie.

But even men in the early 19th century, when tailcoats were worn during the day, probably wouldn't have worn a coat patterned like that. Trousers, perhaps, but not a coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy