Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Take your hats off, you are indoors".

Feraud

Bartender
admonishes Donald Trump to his latest group of clueless apprentices.
I only saw a two second clip but a group of wannabe high-rollers went into one of those boardroom meetings wearing visor caps.
Trump should have fired the whole lot for that transgression. :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
agreed Sir, agreed
It never ceases to amaze me the lack of manners/respect shown by the uneducated ( hat wise that is). I have had the opportunity to talk with clients about this very thing and find an appreciative audience every time. Nobody really wants to show disrespect, just are clueless as to the rules.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
As new to the passion, I would appreciate a discussion of said rules. I mean, my mama always taught me to take my hat off inside. Always? What about outside, sitting down and eating? Etc., etc. If this has already been discussed ad nauseum, a link would be appreciated!

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Here's something you guys had going months ago for us newbies. Don't know if this cut and paste will work. Really don't know how to work these new-found computer thingys, as is evidenced by my lack of an avatar! ;)
thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13009&page=5&highlight=hat+etiquette

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
The one that really p's me off is indoors, at a hockey game, and these dipwads don't remove their "ball" caps for the National Anthem!:rage:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think this about covers it.

I'll admit I was less conscious of hatiquette before rejoining the fedoristas.

The part about women in elevators I learned from Bob Benchley, who was as correct as he was irreverent.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
topper said:
I agree that globally we are facing a lock of traditional education, which polished off kids education. This liberal 'slackness' a couldn't give a damn attitude.
topper comes off a wee bit reactionary. Slackness and/or not giving a damn are not liberal values.

Then again - I don't know the score in Britain very well, but I suspect he has nothing on our American "traditional" education advocates, who are basically tools.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Hat question:

I work in a fancier restaurant and while a good deal of our male clientele wear hats, isn't it bad etiquette AND bad luck to put a hat on a table?? Or was my Grandmother being a bit loopy when she taught me that?

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've heard that too. Probably something that originated with a desire to keep a fellow's hair jelly off the tablecloth. Ew.

I hope your restaurant provides proper hat pegs or racks or a hat check?

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
We do have a hat/coat/umbrella check, yet I still see these gents with their hats on the table and my heart lurches... It just seems obvious that that's bad form!

Feraud

Bartender
beaucaillou said:
Hat question:

I work in a fancier restaurant and while a good deal of our male clientele wear hats, isn't it bad etiquette AND bad luck to put a hat on a table?? Or was my Grandmother being a bit loopy when she taught me that?

Cheers!
It probably was bad etiquette back in the day but most restaurants today have limited with space. Putting a hat on a table could be a necessary evil. :)
I can usually find a space with the coat check or on my lap if necessary.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would not put my hat on a table where food is going to be served on. It is the same as putting ones feet up on a table. I think most wives tales and superstitions arise from practical reasons that may not be applicable now but still remain as a guide.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
I've heard that too. Probably something that originated with a desire to keep a fellow's hair jelly off the tablecloth. Ew.

I hope your restaurant provides proper hat pegs or racks or a hat check?

...and also to keep the table jelly out of his hair. :p

If I were a gentleman, I would hesitate to put the hat on my lap for fear of spilling food on it!

--Leslie

jkingrph

Practically Family
Unfortunately in our part of the country, few restaurants provide hat racks, hat check facilities. Yesterday while at a local Italian restaurant I chose the only alternative available, I left it on my head. I will not place a nice hat on a table to risk having it soiled, nor place in in my lap to risk dropping food on it.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
beaucaillou said:
We do have a hat/coat/umbrella check, yet I still see these gents with their hats on the table and my heart lurches... It just seems obvious that that's bad form!
It's definitely bad form - and as others have mentioned, it's esthetically unappealing - as mentioned, like putting your feet up on the table.

I'd offer to take the hat to the hat check whenever you see one on a table.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
I Repeat

You can't wear a hat where you can't spit. I agree with DOUGLAS, take your shoes off and put your feet on the table, same thing! Just my two bits. No hat rack? Put it on the seat beside you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails