Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tango!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
About 20 years ago, when I was first taking ballroom dancing lessons (which is what got me into the whole swing dance and vintage scene in the first place), a bunch of us went to see Tango Argentino on Broadway, then had dinner at an Argentine restaurant on W 44th St. A very elderly lady sang terrific Tango torch songs, and a couple of people danced. Shortly after that a friend, who was sharing a loft with an Argentine artist, invited me to a party at his loft. There was a little old record player, with scratchy vinyl albums and everybody danced. The best dancer there was a 77 year old lady. Later 4 members of the Tango Argentina cast showed up. More dancing. The gal who had bamboozled me into taking ballroom dancing lessons in the first place and I did our pathetic little imitation of tango that we had learned. We didn't even know how to turn around. We danced into the wall, disentangled, turned around and danced into the wall again. lol
It was a great few weeks of my life! I still have the cassette of the music somewhere.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Argentine Tango

I've been taking Argentine Tango classes for over a year now- it really is a great complement to swing.
I've had several instructors tell me Argentine, not Ballroom Tango, is the way to go- Ballroom is an adaptation in short. I agree with them! ;)
I've noticed though, most Tango leaders lack the sophistication and style that the follows have; I don't know if this is by choice, or because most of the instructors don't offer that to the men. I know the women are the feature, but the men should style it a bit. :eek:

Baio Blanco (NO clue if I spelled that right!) is a haunting Tango song. It was featured in "Assassination Tango" during a scene with a legendary tango lead, Orlando Paiva.

Oh yeah, for those of you who aren't ready for the close, intimate embrace, there IS the open embrace; all together you and your partner are about one armlength apart. It requires a bit more upper body strength, but it's more "courteous" to strangers.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As for male embellishments (flicks..etc)

The man is like a frame, with the lady being the painting. We are there to 'show off' our lady. Lady's have some lovely embellishments, but...men can also do them too. Also, the lady is only as good as her 'lead.' The man's lead must be such that the lady knows what is being asked of her. It's all done through very light touch, so there needs to be a good 'connection' between the two people. The mark of a good lead, is a man who can ask any lady to dance (note: Men ask the lady, not the other way around...just not done in Argentine Tango), and can lead her. Leading isn't just all about signalling/communicating where the lady is to go next, but also being able to stand back and give the lady time to 'strut her own stuff' too.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Tango Leading?

PADDY said:
Also, the lady is only as good as her 'lead.' The man's lead must be such that the lady knows what is being asked of her.

Actually I keep thinking it's the other way around- my instructor agrees with you, though. The lessons never end! [huh]

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took Tango lessons in Argentina

from a wonderful instructor during the course of a week.

He charged American prices for his lessons, which was high for the region but fair for his teaching.

Unfortunately, my husband and I hadn't really studied enough of Argentine Tango to make the lessons very worthwhile. We really needed to study much more before we could appreciate his teaching and what he was teaching us. We had studied American Tango previously.

We will probably go back there (we have relatives there) and thanks for reminding me to add this to our "need to learn list".

And yes, for those who already said it, Argentine Tango is far more romantic (and difficult!) than American Tango.

On a side note: During the lessons, the instructor had me press my hand with great force against my husband's chest to learn the proper distance, balance, etc. To this day, I think there is a small pain in my hand muscle from this lesson. Has anyone else dealt with this injury as a result of Argentine Tango? I've never had this problem with American Tango, but the hand placements are obviously different.

Vintage Betty

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
On a side note: During the lessons, the instructor had me press my hand with great force against my husband's chest to learn the proper distance, balance, etc. To this day, I think there is a small pain in my hand muscle from this lesson. Has anyone else dealt with this injury as a result of Argentine Tango? I've never had this problem with American Tango, but the hand placements are obviously different.
Vintage Betty

(In re: to the trip)- sounds GREAT. I am DYING to go, hopefully within a year.
You injured your hand? Wow! I get the exercise of "pushing" away your lead, but I haven't heard of injuries from it. Cramps, sore muscles, but no injuries.
Incidentally our instructor shows the follows to grasp the base of the man's shoulder, from the front. This plus the other hand (in the lead's hand) apply a "push-up" style of compression. Sounds different than what you learned- or was this just for the sensation for you?

Vintage Betty

dakotanorth said:
(In re: to the trip)- sounds GREAT. I am DYING to go, hopefully within a year.
You injured your hand? Wow! I get the exercise of "pushing" away your lead, but I haven't heard of injuries from it. Cramps, sore muscles, but no injuries.
Incidentally our instructor shows the follows to grasp the base of the man's shoulder, from the front. This plus the other hand (in the lead's hand) apply a "push-up" style of compression. Sounds different than what you learned- or was this just for the sensation for you?

Who knows? Maybe we can get someone to arrange a 2008 Fedora Lounge Tango Tour. :)

About the injury thing: Yes, I know it seems weird. But I never had hand pain until that one exercise.

I also was taught (briefly) the shoulder method by the same instructor. I seem to have a "learning the correct hand pressure with your partner and distance from your partner problem" that has plagued me for years regardless of which dance I learn. :(

Vintage Betty

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Leading

dakotanorth said:
Actually I keep thinking it's the other way around- my instructor agrees with you, though. The lessons never end! [huh]
I think Tango can be just like swing. Any woman can learn to lead, but then you have to lead, and stand in that position. If you're the lady (i.e. following) and try to go off and do a move not anticipated by your partner you'll look terrible. Can't have two leaders.
(BTW, how did this discussion wind up in Radio? Not that it matters all that much.)

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
I also was taught (briefly) the shoulder method by the same instructor. I seem to have a "learning the correct hand pressure with your partner and distance from your partner problem" that has plagued me for years regardless of which dance I learn. :(
Vintage Betty

Two words: Marine Pushups! It seems like both Swing and Tango exploit women's weaker upper body. Not nice to say, but true.
Still, it's muscle control, endurance and strength. Work the pecs, avoid "Cheating" by rolling the work onto the shoulder- that's when you see women lifting their arms up (like a flap position).
Not easy, but simple. ;)

Jp

Vintage Betty

dakotanorth said:
Two words: Marine Pushups! It seems like both Swing and Tango exploit women's weaker upper body. Not nice to say, but true.
Still, it's muscle control, endurance and strength. Work the pecs, avoid "Cheating" by rolling the work onto the shoulder- that's when you see women lifting their arms up (like a flap position).
Not easy, but simple. ;)

Jp

Gosh you guys are tough! I can do about 100 Marine pushups - I think. How many do I need to do before I get better? :p

Feel like showing me the right/wrong way in photos so I can improve?

Vintage Betty

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Good frame for follows

Vintage Betty said:
Gosh you guys are tough! I can do about 100 Marine pushups - I think. How many do I need to do before I get better? :p
Feel like showing me the right/wrong way in photos so I can improve?
Vintage Betty

100? How many with only one broken arm? :p

I would love to offer pictures, but I have none. Here's an experiment though:
Do two push-ups. Do them against the wall- it's just an experiment, save your energy for something important!
The first one, keep your elbows down, basically by your sides. Palms flat, fingers pointing up. As you close in to the wall, you will use you chest somewhat, along with you triceps. Your shoulders will be "awake" but not really "Flexing".
Now, for the second one, pivot your hands inward so your elbows point out (horizontal).
You will use the same muscles as the first one, but COMPLETELY different proportions. In the first one you should feel your chest flex and your arms extend; in the second you will feel your upper back/shoulders and your arms.
I'm not a Tango instructor, so I can't say "Right" or "Wrong", but the first method is "Better" while the second is "Worse."
The easiest way to get this feeling? Keep your elbows down when you tango.
Good luck, and post some pics of a Milonga! :eusa_clap

Jp

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
!!Soy Tanguero!!

Do it well, lose yourself in the fantastic music of the dance, and it's a very powerful and emotional journey.[/QUOTE]

Good Day,
Firstl allow me to say that I have been and in my heart am still a tanguero.
I started my affection for the music/dance more than thirty years ago.
These days I still manage it, albeit as anyone would expect from one with limiting physical restrictions. I lean on and manage well enough to enjoy Tango with my lovely wife, of 43 years tomorrow.:eusa_clap

I have a music collection of Tango consisting of more than sixty CD's, which includes all of Piazolla's work. I stay away from the electric tango music that is alleged to be modern tango. I feel it is not tango at all, and I am not a music purist or snob. I just class it in the bin with Hip Hop, and other wailing that preports to be music.
Rule of thumb: If one cannot whistle it or hum it; it ain't music.

Warmest regards,
G.Ashe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran