Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoo Covering Makeup? Brands, How Tos?

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I have three unfortunate tattoos. By this I am not saying that all tattoos on vintage gals are unfortunate or bad - but mine ARE. I really hate that my two terrible, unfinished shoulder pieces are displayed when I go strapless, halter, or low backed and especially hate the largish travesty of a piece just above my ankle that shows, well, all the time. Since I'm in skirts nearly every day.

Eventually, I'll have the pieces removed, but for now, I'd like makeup, at least for photos and special occasions. Do any of the gals here have experience with the various products out there - what works, and how to use them?

R

ruby-blue

This is actually my first post but I felt compelled to reply to you (so hi everyone!).

You'll want to find a product called dermacolor by kryolan and buy a palette or wheel so that you have a few shades, you will also need the setting powder.

Clean the area well with a rubbing alcohol.

Mix a few varying shades and using a concealer brush and a damp latex sponge start dabbing the concealer on to the tattoo.

You're trying to create natural skin so the colour needs to be stippled and varied which is why you use a few shades.

When you think you have achieved good coverage, set the product with the power, apply with a puff, press it in being careful not to wipe or drag the puff. Do this in really light layers so that you can add extra concealer if you need to in light layers until you are happy with the final result.

This is not an easy technique to master but patience and practice will have you well on the way to successfully covering your tattoos.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Ben Nye, Graftobian, Cinema Secrets....

All will do a dandy job of tattoo coverage. Just find the nearest retailer and see what color suits you.

Dermablend should do the trick as well, I just haven't used it myself.

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
I recommended this in another thread:

Make Up Forever Full Cover concealer - this stuff is amazing - I have used it to cover bad insect bites but the girl in the shop said its often used to cover tattoos:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P151107

I have some of that concealer and it is pretty serious coverage - i'll give it a test this weekend on a tattoo and see what coverage I get.

Back in the 80's when my job cared about tattoos and I had to cover up something I would always use Dermablend - stays like iron!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I have some of that concealer and it is pretty serious coverage - i'll give it a test this weekend on a tattoo and see what coverage I get.

Back in the 80's when my job cared about tattoos and I had to cover up something I would always use Dermablend - stays like iron!

Let us know how you get on! I had some serious insect bites on my legs after a trip to Florence a few years ago and I had a wedding to attend the following week :eek: - I was seriously considering having to wear a long dress but once I put this particular concealer on you really couldn't see the bites at all and I was able to wear a dress that came to just below my knees - I didn't need to reaaply it either - it lasted all day and night!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Tattoo covering is tricky. After I saw this post last night I tried a few of the different methods on my tattoo. I have a largeish tattoo on my left thigh. It is mostly teal, green, cobalt and a bit of purple. managed to make it disappear but because I am so pale I had a very large orange blob on my left upper thigh. So if you are fair like I am (I use the lightest makeup most companies make) most stuff is going to turn you and orangish color. I used the lightest makeups I could find. If you are pale perhaps you should try mixing some white in there. But I did find out using aerosol hair spray does help it keep in place. That worked really well. Good luck keep us posted with pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats