Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

Death, or the Reaper:

ReaperTatt.jpg

Vajrabhairava in consort with Vajravetali:

YamantakaTatt.jpg

Vajrabhairava is only about 1/3-1/2 done. The above was a 5 hour session with Dan Gold. It needs to be completed with throne, flames etc. Will in the end be this:

Yam_13_Front.jpg

bk

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Feraud, those are just great! I noticed the prices at the tops .. wow! I think that the prices of ink these days is a good example of how popular tattoos REALLY are, despite the puritanical naysayers, people pay big bucks for modern ink.

Feraud

Bartender
If you consider the price of tattoos based on artist's reputations, I consider the stereotype of a lowlife or convict is a bit outdated.
Unless you are a lowlife convict with a lot of cash.

My grandfather was in the navy in WWII. He had a chain and anchor design on his wrist.

Pricing of tattoos is entirely down to the quality of the artist.

I'll propose that the average quality of a tattoo is much better today than in the past. With dedicated artists, a regulated industry, top-notch training programs, and discerning customers, the industry has improved markedly. or so say the older artists/cusomers.

bk

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Rooster said:
I find tats pretty creepy, kind of a Carny type of thing. My attitude may reflect my age as I'll be 50 in a few days. The popularity of tattoos seems to be more of a younger generation thing.
My dad had a bluebird tattooed on each shoulder. He always regretted it. One of my friends in his mid 60's got his name tatooed on his arm when he was in the navy, he really regrets ever having it put there, and he's a hard core Harley guy.
The level of artistic value varies widely on the tatts I've seen . Most are absolutly horrid, while a few I've seen are well done. Some are so bad I'd chop that body part off just to get rid of it!lol

I'm 43 and feel the same way. No offense to anyone, but tatoos are just not a very pleasing aesthetic, especially on women.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I could never get one myself, but as an artist I've designed some for friends. Only very special friends--and it's really cool because it's a way to link us in a very individual way. Yet, I still couldn't do it to my own body. I can't even figure out what kind of sandwich I want, let alone to choose what to permanently imprint on my flesh. To each his own.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like and admire many tattoos. I would have a hard time doing it myself though, because of cultural/religious reasons.

Most people only have to worry about their parents. I'd have aunts, uncles, random folks who knew my aunts... I once got a premptive lecture on it when I was 16 and saying I wanted one from a second cousin! :eek: lol

-Viola

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
thebadmamajama said:
I could never get one myself, but as an artist I've designed some for friends. Only very special friends--and it's really cool because it's a way to link us in a very individual way. Yet, I still couldn't do it to my own body. I can't even figure out what kind of sandwich I want, let alone to choose what to permanently imprint on my flesh. To each his own.

Almost exactly how I would have put it. I certainly don't mind tattoos on other people, but I couldn't possibly decide what to put on my own skin.

Used to hang with a biker who ran a tattoo shop out on the coast, but could never do it myself, due to my reflexes (point that needle at me and it's potentially Reaper Time...:rolleyes: )

About the only way I could see it being done is that once I earn the right to wear my stars, they are NEVER leaving my shoulders.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Phil_UK said:
Live and let live I say and never say never, cos you just might change your mind one day.

Regards Phil

I say the same. Which is exactly why I don't get one. It's easier to change my mind toward a tattoo than away from an existing one. But, I'm just not a tattoo kind of guy, so I'll never get one. Yes, I can say never in this case. (I can also say never to walking barefoot on broken glass, intentionally touching a hot iron, smoking crack, commiting murder . . . :p )

On the other hand, I have dated a couple women with tattoos. One also had a pierced brow, and the other her tongue. If I like her personality, I'm not going to let a couple small things like those turn me away.

Lee

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Just remember, to each their own. You can not judge a book by its cover, alot of books have dust jackets on, and under those dust jackets may be tats that you didn't even know were there. Then what are you going to do when that book decides to reveal what tats are under the dust jacket to you? Stop reading that book that you've been reading for months, years?
Just something to ponder.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
cgab1 said:
I'm 43 and feel the same way. No offense to anyone, but tatoos are just not a very pleasing aesthetic, especially on women.
I don't think it's offensive (though, as mentioned, you should've added "to me" since there is no real "universal" aesthetic), to each their own. It only becomes offensive when you start making assumptions about people with tattoos based on their tattoos and not based on the person. I've seen that happen more than once both to myself and others and it really says more about the person hatching those remarks than it says about the person with the tattoo. You simply cannot know anything at all about a person based on their tattoos.

In my mind, dislike tattoos all you want, hate them if you have to, as long as you don't try to restrict or limit my right to have them, which unfortunately there are people who are trying to do of various reasons, including but not limited to political and religious reasons. It saddens me.

[edit] oh yeah, most of this post isn't directed at you personally but rather generally at everyone and no one.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
For the record, I know many fine people who have or want tattoos, my father has one on his arm. But you are correct, I should say they are not pleasing "to me". Cheers!

cgab

MrPumpernickel said:
I don't think it's offensive (though, as mentioned, you should've added "to me" since there is no real "universal" aesthetic), to each their own. It only becomes offensive when you start making assumptions about people with tattoos based on their tattoos and not based on the person. I've seen that happen more than once both to myself and others and it really says more about the person hatching those remarks than it says about the person with the tattoo. You simply cannot know anything at all about a person based on their tattoos.

In my mind, dislike tattoos all you want, hate them if you have to, as long as you don't try to restrict or limit my right to have them, which unfortunately there are people who are trying to do of various reasons, including but not limited to political and religious reasons. It saddens me.

[edit] oh yeah, most of this post isn't directed at you personally but rather generally at everyone and no one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot