Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teardrop Workshop

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Honestly, IC -- after making the acquaintance of Sam throughout the evening, and, given the low lighting conditions in the cabin, I'm just amazed that these didn't come out as trapezoid creases...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

And thanks for the kind words, Grayfox. ;)

Cheers,
JtL
Or the JTLDTrapezoid!:D

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
May2010003.jpg

Question to JtL - How can I get the back ridge as smooth as you do? I`ve tried steam, but the felt wants to `break` into edges, and not smoothly?

Thanks

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have that problem, too. When I try to smooth from underneath as directed, the teardrop gets thicker, and starts inching up the crown, messing up the rake. Then it pops back into its bumpy Fluteplayer's Teardrop-Trapezoid Bash. Then I get angry.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:
Question to JtL - How can I get the back ridge as smooth as you do? I`ve tried steam, but the felt wants to `break` into edges, and not smoothly?

Thanks

Looks like you got it figured out, D-Guy. The easiest way to smooth out the rounded part of the teardrop is to use the method detailed in my first post in this thread (see point #6 and photo).

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
I have that problem, too. When I try to smooth from underneath as directed, the teardrop gets thicker, and starts inching up the crown, messing up the rake. Then it pops back into its bumpy Fluteplayer's Teardrop-Trapezoid Bash. Then I get angry.

Flute -- The back surface of the teardrop can be smoothed out as detailed above. In order to make sure that raising the "inner teardrop" doesn't spoil the rake, make sure that you use enough steam to allow the inner teardrop to form easily -- this allows the inner teardrop to be pressed up without really raising the sides. If necessary, you can also keep one hand on top of the side of the lid while pressing up from underneath in shaping the inner teardrop.

One other point -- if the sides of the lid are a bit higher than you want, you can lower them be running a finger in the channel between the inner teardrop and the side of the lid, pressing down as you go. This is one way to bring the height down.

One last observation -- adjustments made to the inner teardrop are often useful in fine-tuning the rake of the lid.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Cheers,
JtL

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:

One other point -- if the sides of the lid are a bit higher than you want, you can lower them be running a finger in the channel between the inner teardrop and the side of the lid, pressing down as you go. This is one way to bring the height down.

One last observation -- adjustments made to the inner teardrop are often useful in fine-tuning the rake of the lid.

I just want to point out that the above techniques also play well with diamonds.

wrvavra

New in Town
Thanks so much, Jimmy. I only had a cooking pot and the damned job took me an hour, but my first hat now looks a hell of a lot sharper than it did off the rack.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
You're most welcome, Gents! Glad to see that people are trying out the techniques here and having success in creasing their own lids! :) :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

T Rick

Practically Family
Jimmy, this is a great tutorial, very much looking forward to trying it out on my BGCD. Thanks for posting, I wonder if you'd share with us what you use for a source of steam? Like most, I've got a kettle (around here somewhere, I think...), and possibly a steam iron. I'm betting you're using a garment steamer of some type?

TIA for any additional info (hoping I can make my Campdraft look sort of like the one you posted in my "Fedora with Jeans" thread on Friday).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner