Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Television... who's sick of it? Anyone?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've been watching a couple of great series via Netflix: Sanctuary and The Lost Room. If you want to watch some smart, unusual dramas, I recommend these.

At the same time, I agree with Forgotten Man that mindless, indiscriminate viewing is, indeed, a time vampire.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Richard Warren said:
Also, the constant use of the present tense to describe the past.
:rage:
That bothers me too.

It seems like a lot of television that people are mentioning are pay extra channels. I long for a good show and gave up on some like True Blood, House, Mad Men (I dont get why people love that show) and Rescue Me after I just couldn't *stand* the writing anymore.

I generally watched a show through its entire run. The first I broke that tradition with was the Simpsons. But now, I just dont feel compelled to watch these programs, or even finish them after a few years invested Ive in the characters. These unbelievable characters in their stupid situations.

The only show I covet right now is Dexter. Its just great.

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Richard Warren said:
Also, the constant use of the present tense to describe the past.

I recently tried to listen to a book like that: How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accent, or something like that. Incredibly annoying.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
:rage:
These unbelievable characters in their stupid situations.
LD

That's the reason I don't watch many movies made during the past 30 years, especially romantic comedies. Unless it's supposed to be silly (think Carol Burnett), it doesn't work.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
iPlayer, ITV player, Channel 4 On demand

In the UK we've seen a really big rise in the ability to stream live video and audio content directly from the broadcaster's website. The biggest being the BBC's iPlayer which can now be accessed through the Playstation 3, The Wii console as well as a computer. (Maybe even smart phones now too)

So people have less of a need to watch an acual television and, in particular, watch it live.

For me there are a bout half a dozen shows of interest and those I just watch online when it's convenient. There is a lot of fodder out there.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I lost interest in television around 10 years ago when it started to dumb down too much.

In Ireland we get both RTE and all the UK channels, including the BBC. In the 90s there was always something intelligent on the box on every night. Nowadays such programmes seem to be a weekly occurence. The dumbing down of the BBC has really disappointed me. Lord Reith must be spinning in his grave.

We don't own a TV and don't plan to purchase one. If there is something on that we really want to watch we can find it on-line. The only programmes I have any interest in at the moment are the bonkers Harry Hills TV Burp and the sublime QI. To watch anything else would take away time I could spend with my wee baby son.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
grundie said:
I lost interest in television around 10 years ago when it started to dumb down too much.

In Ireland we get both RTE and all the UK channels, including the BBC. In the 90s there was always something intelligent on the box on every night. Nowadays such programmes seem to be a weekly occurence. The dumbing down of the BBC has really disappointed me. Lord Reith must be spinning in his grave.

We don't own a TV and don't plan to purchase one. If there is something on that we really want to watch we can find it on-line. The only programmes I have any interest in at the moment are the bonkers Harry Hills TV Burp and the sublime QI. To watch anything else would take away time I could spend with my wee baby son.

Ah Harry Hill is great and he is bonkers!

I guess no-one here will be swayed over by 3D TV then?

hyundai-3d-46-inch-tv-big.jpg

Burton

One of the Regulars
I havent had TV in my home for years as much of it is just stupid. I do enjoy old movies I have on DVD and VHS. I have to confess that when I am traveling and in hotel rooms (with lots of channels) I go slightly insane and enjoy the hell out of A&E, History, and other like channels.

I would never watch a contemporary sitcom but feel they are a great reflection on society, its values and desires. One does not have to travel to distant and exotic lands to witness seemingly bizarre behaivors.

Edward

Bartender
grundie said:

Without gonig all political, I really do feel for Auntie in recent years. The Beeb are under constant attack from various sources, mostly one side of the politial fence more than the other, which long has form for seeing the creative arts as something of 'the enemy'. Increasingly, a lot of people are opposed to paying the licence fee for "channels I don't watch, my money is being stolen from me.... blah blah". The Beeb's response has been, unfortunately, to use its mainstream channel to up the quantity of drivel during peak hours, chiefly rubbish like those dancing shows designed to compete with whatever Simon Cowell product is on the other side now. (no matter how unbearable it is to see this on the Beeb, the commercial channels are invariably worse). I'm one of those who passionately believe the Beeb should be responding with high quality stuff, rather than sinking to lowest common denomenator output. Popularity is all very well, but simple pandering to rampant populism with no care for quality is surely the very antithesis of the BBC's core design. I'll be gutted if (as looks a realistic possibility) our next government makes radical change to the Beeb.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:
Without gonig all political, I really do feel for Auntie in recent years. The Beeb are under constant attack from various sources, mostly one side of the politial fence more than the other, which long has form for seeing the creative arts as something of 'the enemy'. Increasingly, a lot of people are opposed to paying the licence fee for "channels I don't watch, my money is being stolen from me.... blah blah". The Beeb's response has been, unfortunately, to use its mainstream channel to up the quantity of drivel during peak hours, chiefly rubbish like those dancing shows designed to compete with whatever Simon Cowell product is on the other side now. (no matter how unbearable it is to see this on the Beeb, the commercial channels are invariably worse). I'm one of those who passionately believe the Beeb should be responding with high quality stuff, rather than sinking to lowest common denomenator output. Popularity is all very well, but simple pandering to rampant populism with no care for quality is surely the very antithesis of the BBC's core design. I'll be gutted if (as looks a realistic possibility) our next government makes radical change to the Beeb.

Firstly solidarity for Auntie! She may be 83 but the gal got life in her yet.

Secondly I do notice that the more channels there are the worse the content seems to get, case in point, BBC 1 and 2 expanding to BBC 1, 2, 3 & 4 (although I still think of BBC4 as BBC Choice.)

Edward

Bartender
Ethan Bentley said:
Firstly solidarity for Auntie! She may be 83 but the gal got life in her yet.

Secondly I do notice that the more channels there are the worse the content seems to get, case in point, BBC 1 and 2 expanding to BBC 1, 2, 3 & 4 (although I still think of BBC4 as BBC Choice.)

Wasn't 3 Choice, and 4 Knowledge? I could be wrong, they were 3 and 4 already when I got a digibox. The only real problem I have is 3 especially being used as a first run for stuff which gets repeated on 1 or 2 later on... I'd rather they used them more creatively. I think ITV actually does really well with its 3 and 4, using them to screen a lot of great old shows from its archives. I suppose the Beeb is held back by the obligation to make sure that those folks who can't get digital yet still get the new programming they pay the licence fee for. Maybe they will rethink their strategy when the switchover is completed by end 2011. The logical thing would be to split it up as they did Radio content when they went from one station to Radios 1-4.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:
Wasn't 3 Choice, and 4 Knowledge? I could be wrong, they were 3 and 4 already when I got a digibox. The only real problem I have is 3 especially being used as a first run for stuff which gets repeated on 1 or 2 later on... I'd rather they used them more creatively. I think ITV actually does really well with its 3 and 4, using them to screen a lot of great old shows from its archives. I suppose the Beeb is held back by the obligation to make sure that those folks who can't get digital yet still get the new programming they pay the licence fee for. Maybe they will rethink their strategy when the switchover is completed by end 2011. The logical thing would be to split it up as they did Radio content when they went from one station to Radios 1-4.

Edward you are quite right, so I remember incorrectly. :eusa_doh:

I think the BBC have a few deals with the UK TV Brand such as G.O.L.D (was UK Gold) so perhaps that's why they hold back with the repeats they have had a few good repeats (The Good Life, The Avenger) but I tend to miss as I don't check the schedule often.

ITV3 and 4 have their distinct flavors, so does More4 too (If you like property programs).

The most useful thing, I think, is the 24 hour news service. Another movie channel TNT perhaps would be nice.

OFF TOPIC:

I noticed on today's Harry Hill's TV Burp They Have started the K Factor (or Knitting Idol) send in your best knitted items to win 8 balls of wool a DVD, knitted toy and a trophy.

http://www.itv.com/entertainment/comedy/harryhillstvburp/kfactorsubmissions/default.html

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't care less about modern television as a whole, though there are some shows I still watch on TV, even if they aren't necessarily modern. :p

Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: The Animated Series (it's rarely on these days actually), I Love Lucy (classic sitcom!), Rawhide, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Lupin III (classic anime), Cowboy Bebop (sort of similar to Lupin III, and very jazz inspired)... Actually, some of these shows don't even air anymore regularly...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
TVs are appliances; Blaming your tube for making you stupid is like blaming your fridge for making you fat.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Seventh year. I do the television before there was television. Here in western Montana we call it "books."

I have a huge aperture grill CRT on which I watch movies of my choice - usually movies of my youth and earlier.

I've become sufficiently atavistic that I have substantial pity - or disdain, if appropriate - for chumps who continue to waste their lives on that thing.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I'm Not Tied To The Idiot Box...

While I have a televison, it's been several years since I actually watched quote un-qoute television on it. I had my Directv cut off purposely about almost 3 years ago and haven't watched anything but DVD's and now Blu-Ray since.

At first I was buying the equivalent of my satellite bill in dvd's each month, then got smart and signed on to Netflix.

I really don't like how people shape their lives by what's said/done on television, so why support it?

Randy

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Nice hearing from some like-minded people.I guess I`m not the social pariah my co-workers make me out to be? :)

I have`nt had network(nor satellite)television for approx. 2 years and I don`t miss it at all. The few select current tv series I enjoy watching(Family Guy,American Dad,Simpsons,etc.)I watch online.I also get my news online.

I`m equally a radio "snob" as well;I listen to audiobooks or music during my daily commute.

Meeting Gman

New in Town
I gave up watching tv about 2 years ago, maybe longer. The only time I missed it was when they'd have the Twilight Zone marathons, but I've remedied that as I now have the DVD box set.

Aside from The Twilight Zone I occasion a few silent movies and some beloved internet series I enjoy.

When visiting family and they have their tv on I am instantly reminded how much I do not miss television.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
When we're done beating up on television we might as well take to task the other forms of mass media; Radio, film, print, internet, etc......:rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you on this.

Well made films can be entertaining and do not rely on a brand or slogan to convince the audience of their quality. Some films rely on this branding, but they aren't necessarily good films. Look at Psycho - great film, well made and relies on the director to craft a work of art. Psycho did not rely on 2 hours of expensive CGI surrounding a tearfully stupid plot (i.e. almost everything being regurgitated out of Hollywood).

Newspapers, although rife with advertisement and dummied down to the level of school children, must be objective to at least some minimal degree and require a bit of concentration. And look where newspapers are going - down the drain. Why? Because they're trying too hard to be like Television, reporting "hot" topics, rather than relevant topics. A good example; the Des Moines Register once was a nationally respected rag. When uber-Corporation Gannet purchased it, it went from reporting national stories to today's front page: "Gov. Culver attacks rival in campaign ad" or in other words, apparently Iowan's care more about a tv ad than say, the oil spill, or War, or what have you.

Radio, similarly, may be spewing all sorts of nonsense, but you must be able to patiently sit through it without visual stimulation. And like newspapers, radio is going nowhere because everyone is falling into this instant-gratification/idiot-brain trap.

Television and the internet, on the other hand, are both becoming havens for ignorance, laziness, low-grade-but-edible information, etc. Comedy shows are so poorly written and rife with cliches that it's insulting to even hear them in the background. And look at things like YouTube with these "memes". 99% of it isn't funny, but 100% makes its way to you whether you care or not, because at least one idiot has to run over to your desk (or chair, or garage, or whever you're hiding) and tell you about a cat that makes faces, or a fat kid twirling a baton, or an animated banana.

So in a long winded round-about way (the only way I ever take), I disagree. I say, get out of the house, stop watching this insulting mish-mash of cliches and read a subversive book, or watch an inappropriate film, or listen to a radio program while you're cutting down your neighbors' tree onto their house - or anything, but get out and move!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart