Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Television... who's sick of it? Anyone?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
So, as of late I’m finding that I really couldn’t care less for TV. I love watching old movies but, if there was an old theater down the street that showed classic films, I would heave the boob tube out… since there isn’t some special theater down the street that only show classic films, I don’t know if I could do without the TV set and DVD player since I do like watching an old movie some nights.

But, if I were living on my own, I would probably put the darn thing in the spare room and watch movies in there… but, that’s not so much the case anymore.

I used to be the type when I had a day off I’d just leave the TV on… I’d watch it in the morning with breakfast but, I’d check the clock and then it was 1-2pm in the afternoon! What a time vampire! I used to leave it on but, now I’d much rather just listen to music or something. I can get the news from radio or the internet… so, why do I need to watch TV which is mostly commercials anyway… and I’m talking about cable! Yes, even cable is inundated with crummy commercials! Are you serious? We’re paying for a service to watch 30 minutes worth of commercials each break? Why hasn’t anyone started a revolution against the networks?

Ok, rant is coming to an end… I just want to know if there are others here who feel they could live without a television set or TV in general.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
My son and I turned the TV off for good 2 1/2 years ago. But we are having it forced upon us at my parents house this xmas!
AARRGGHH.
Mind you they do have the odd good period drama.
I do feel tho that my now teenage son will want it back again in the not so distant future.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I havent had a television for about 4 years. I did turn off tv week and never went back. Granted I do watch shows online, but the amount of ads online pales compared to the old squawk box.

I havent found many tv shoes to get excited about. I frankly just stopped watching them because I stopped caring. Over the last year or so Iv stopped watching about 5 of the 7 tv shoes I use to watch because writing got terrible.

Alas, Im not a huge fan of old movies. I know some people love to identify, or imagine themselves as the characters, Ive never gotten that with old movies. Many have generally felt very oppressive to me. I appreciate the more naturalistic characters in modern cinema, modern meaning 50s and up :)

'Revolution against the networks'? Its here, my friend. Everyone I know watches their shows online. Commercial Free-ish and good quality.

LD

Smuterella

One Too Many
I live alone, and I don't so much watch television as have it burbling on in the background for company. I know I could have the radio on instead but somehow I find listening to the radio more demanding, if I want wallpaper then television seems to work best.

Foofoogal

Banned
I cannot stand what is called entertainment. Most is pure filth. I am not a total prude but it is all about s e x. Even stupid commercials.
When honey traveled for 3 years I never had the tv on and it is very hard to get used to it again. I would have either total quiet or music. Coming from a large family I cherish peace and quiet.
I will watch FOX and weather. That is all I care to watch and sometimes Hallmark channel or old movies or Andy Griffith. (love Opie) lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've got no problem with sex on TV either - whether its just discussion or imagery. I'm more offended by religion but thats not a topic for this forum. ;)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I like South Park, Little Britain, and the ocassional old movie -- all stuff I can watch on DVD. My husband loves TV, though. When he's not here I go into my sewing room and never even turn the thing on!

Eyemo

Practically Family
British TV is dreadful, a lot repeats of cheap programmes (Property?? three years old??..what's the point..).....

But there are some Gems such as Dr Who and Spooks...

And Eastenders..Suicide TV..:rage:

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Being at the center of my ET, I can't say that I'm tired of it ...

afterb.jpg

But again I'm not addicted to it. I just watch mainly documentaries like in the Discovery & History Channels. Talk about documentary, there's a new interesting show coming up on Discovery Health starting on Jan. 4 ...

http://health.discovery.com/tv/new-year-new-you/i-was-dead.html

I thought I'd give a heads up. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't lose interest in television, television lost interest in me -- I'm not a free-spending 18-to-34-year-old, so I might as well not exist as far as they're concerned. I'll watch the Red Sox in the summer, the occasional TCM or DVD movie, and the weather before I go to bed, and that's pretty much it. Like LD, I stopped caring about it a long time ago.

LordBest

Practically Family
There are a few programs on television that I watch. I have to admit the ABC (the Australian one) does an adequate job of picking the best from British television. Unfortunately Australian domestic television consists of copies of American reality shows or sitcoms about working class families or middle class newly single women. Oh and the ubiquitous 'gritty' crime shows.

I do rather enjoy ABCs (the American one) Castle, which I watch electronically to avoid ads until the DVD is released.

Foofoogal

Banned
Surely one sees that sex is just used too much. Overkill.
I do like the Mentalist. Very funny.

Happy New Year Binkie and all Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy