Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Harris Tweed?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jay said:
Only Hem could post a jacket that gets 6 months worth of compliments...

I'm also on the jealous-of-stylish-coat bandwagon. I'll have to keep an eye out for one...
Thanks Jay, that was a very cool and kind thing to say. I appreciate it. :)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The Miracle Tweed!

I was so crazy about that Hem's 2005 BB Tweed coat - I had to have one! Stealing it from Hem wasn't a good idea because he is a friend (also he is a totally different size).

So I strike upon the idea of emailing BB's customer service. In today's age, I really expected a form response saying they could only help me with what is in their current catalog. But that did not happen. A rep emailed me asking if I had a pic. I sent them the one off of here.

Uh-oh, I forgot to ask how much the coat cost. I couldn't justify the $350 Hem put up for it even though it is worth every penny and then some. Well they won't find one, I tell myself.

A day passes and the rep emails me the good news - they have one in 41R at a factory store in VA. She has put it on hold under my name.

However, I need to call that day because those coats are designated to be returned to the consoldation center THE NEXT DAY!!! They were marked for (my guess) destruction!

Miracle 1 - they find it in my size
Miracle 2 - had I procrastinated just ONE DAY, I would have been too late...

And now the 3rd miracle - the price. Originally, the tweed was $500; at the factory story $350...for me, on its last days, $110!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes...I almost asked for them to get me two if they had them!

I called right away and the clerk kept saying how beautiful the coat was and she should get one for her husband. She even knocked off ANOTHER 10%!!!

The jacket came today and it is truely as wonderful as Hem described it. He and I, of course, can never been seen together wearing it but it is a small price to pay.

I must say Brooks Brothers has the best customer service of any chain store I have dealt with in my life. And thanks to all of you here for making me aware of this awesome tweed!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
000_0032.jpg

My tailor was right on - the coat is from 1977.

The Harris Tweed Authority looked up the number and found it was made for the S.A. Newall & Son, a company that was purchased by another company.

Well, for $3 plus some tailoring cost, it will be a nice weekend beater.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
Brian Sheridan said:
A day passes and the rep emails me the good news - they have one in 41R at a factory store in VA. She has put it on hold under my name.
Please send that rep's name and E-mail address. I suspect they may have more (I need a 40 or 41 Long). I also suspect that they will go to a store such as Ross, rather than be destroyed.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
cookie said:

The history of old-fashioned craft-type industries in the UK over the past 100 years shows that gradual decline or constant retreat can run parallel with continuing demand. Consider that when the UK's Campaign for Real Ale started in the early 1970s, most people thought we'd seen the last of beer produced locally by small breweries. Now there are micro-breweries all over the place, even in places that make a virtue out of keg bitter. (I'm not naming countries here!)

It's the demand that'll give tweed fabric a future, whether for Harris or otherwise. I suspect that if the new conformity of the main Harris tweed producer proves successful, its success will lead to interest in and an increase in demand for the products of smaller weavers.

Any weavers amongst FL people?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Lucky Strike said:
The neeeeeeeeeeed for tweeeeeeeeeeed...it must be satisfied.

I like the Dashing Tweeds neo-tweed, with inlaid metal threads and reflective stuff.

Apologies in advance for going massively off-topic.

I really like the OpArt McDougall check. This should surely be regarded a new classic.

I particularly like idea of going back in time and twisting tweed into a new tradition, which the Futurists neglected to do, despite their flirting with branding and fashion. Imagine the impact of a Wyndham Lewis-designed tweed to accompany the Blast! publications: it would have done more than any number of words to make people rethink their relationships with art, culture and society.

Right, out with the sketchbook.

Would I wear a Dashing Tweed suit? If you're buying...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
I sell clothes at markets and it's winter here, but no-one wants tweed, let alone Harris, even though the fashion mags show all the sour-faced young rockjaws poncing around in $1000 tweed jackets. me no understand.

I can't understand it as I have bought some from the 60s for like AUD20 with unique never-to-be-seen again weaves...yet my 19 year old son won't wear 'em and he's an art student and wears all sorts of stuff and likes vintage/retro.

I love wearing it and have done so since my 20s ...the texture..etc but maybe the article is right...too old-fashioned...one foot in the grave:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :( :(

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
I sell clothes at markets and it's winter here, but no-one wants tweed, let alone Harris, even though the fashion mags show all the sour-faced young rockjaws poncing around in $1000 tweed jackets. me no understand.

Every second person down my way is clad in ostentatious polyester hoodies. I think I'll get myself some tweed when I've got a little dough to spare.

wildbluesea

New in Town
Mt Tweed

I've got a nice blue/grey tweed jacket that was woven in the shetlands and tailered in Australia. Bought it about 13 years ago. Still like new. And the wife even let'm me wear it occasionally!

DerMann

Practically Family
I remember reading, about a year back, about legislation that limited the use of cloth manufactured in such mills, and how it was spelling disaster for the weavers and the entire industry.

Both of my Tweed sportscoats are genuine (they carry the little tag) - one Jos. A. Bank and another from a brand I've never heard of (made in Canada, though).

It really is a sad thing when we have to watch an industry that has managed to survive for so long slowly die right before our eyes.

If I can scrape together enough funds, I'm going to buy a Tweed suit this winter. We must all do our part :)

Salv

One Too Many
Back in December '06 I started a thread after reading an article in the Guardian newspaper about Brian Haggas and his hopes for the Harris Tweed industry which he had just bought. In the article Haggas was quoted thus:
"We know exactly what we want to do. I have written a little piece I am going to send to the weavers saying we have bought the business with the aim of trying to revitalise the name and build up the sales of Harris tweed. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but that's our aim. I would love to think that when I fade away Harris tweed will be thriving in the islands and it will be a name even better known than it is now."

Looks like he hasn't been very successful so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran