Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell Us Your Christmas, or Any Holiday, Pet Stories

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My family (read: parents) never cared much for hanging tinsel strips on the Christmas tree, mainly because tinsel had to be removed before the tree was disassembled and stored in a box for the rest of the year. (We've been "recycling" our tree since the sixties, and it looks more real every year.)

One year, though, when I was in high school, someone, I'm guessing it was a sister, decided to buy some tinsel. Everyone was excited about this new-fangled (to us) decoration, with the obvious exception of mom and dad. But, they let us have our fun and we spent the evening tossing it and various baubles and lights onto the tree until everything was perfect.

As anyone with cats knows, the little buggers love, love, LOVE playing with Christmas ornaments - something about shiny dangly things, I guess. Well, one of our cats decided that the tinsel was much more fun than the glass baubles, and decided that, for maximum enjoyment, he had to become one with the tree to become fully immersed in the experience. It didn't take him long to regret his mistake.

After swatting at the tinsel for a while, he backed up and took a flying leap into the tree, about two feet from the floor, thus becoming completely entangled in tinsel and stuck in the tree, the tinsel tying him to it. lol Mother pulled him out of the tree and untangled him. That cat decided to forever keep a good distance from that tree until the next year.

I also have a story of a cat eating a strip of tinsel. He kept that little transgression hidden from us, until a few hours later, when a shiny little tab of tinsel made a curtain call, so to speak. :eek:

Tell us your Christmas pet stories.

Lee

EDIT: OOPS! This was meant for the Observation Bar. But if someone includes pictures, I guess won't have to be moved. lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tinsel. Oh, yes! They do like to eat the stuff. And Oh, Yes! It does come out at the other end! When I was a kid we had a cat decide to climb the tree. He saw it and you could see from the look in his eye he was telling us "I just have to do this!" So he zoomed up the tree, and and immediately it came crashing down. God bless all cats. I don't know why, but my present cats seem to have no need to do this, maybe because they can climb up real trees right out the back door.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
this year my cat knocked the tree down the third day it was up. i came downstairs, made breakfast in the kitchen while chatting with my roommate, and two minutes later i went back in the living room, and the tree was now on the floor! octavian was sitting on a side table right next to it, purring and licking his paw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo