Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
All I can remember of 10-codes is that a 10-55 is a car accident, and 10-20 is "I'm at Dunkin's."

10-4 LizzieMaine!

When you 10-8 @ Dunkin's,
head on out to City Hall .
Need an SOT from the mayor
a.s.a.p.
(SOT = sound on tape)
Copy?

Even after going to computer-chip
cameras and no longer using vhs
tapes. We kept the ten-code phrases.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
That reminds me of the expression that was used all the time when computers still took "floppies:" garbage in, garbage out. That goes back to the time when computers came with keyboard dust covers.

Was watching "A Letter to Three Wives" last night and they referenced a wife leaving her husband for good as "she took a powder."

I know we've discussed that term before, but always fun to see it used in the wild.

Also, plenty of other expressions of the time in that movie - a movie that is a darn fine soap opera with a bit more philosophical / social commentary in it than the average soap.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Long Johns.
Usually cotton material.

Icebox.
Although haven't seen one since
the early '50s.
I still call it the icebox.

Yelling "bingo".
Last time was years ago at
the local movie theater before the 2nd feature came on.
Big prize was two tickets for the
new Gene Autry flick the following
week.

Last edited:
Our pronunciation is pretty close to the Brooklyn version. We're extremely anti-rhotic.

My keyboard limitations prevented me from getting the exact Brooklyn nuance, thinking about it some more, it would sound like "BUBluh" (heavy accent on the "BUB," big fade on the "luh," not quite, but the word would come out almost as one syllable). A hard Brooklyn and hard Boston (not as familiar with a Maine accent) share some things in common, but definitely have their regional differences.

New Englanders of a Certain Age call a water fountain a "bubbla."

I was told by a linguistics buff that my calling a drinking fountain a "bubbler" was a clue I hailed from Madison, Wis., or somewhere thereabouts.

According to that person, such usage was rare anywhere but there. Sounds like he might have been talking out of his hat.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My keyboard limitations prevented me from getting the exact Brooklyn nuance, thinking about it some more, it would sound like "BUBluh" (heavy accent on the "BUB," big fade on the "luh," not quite, but the word would come out almost as one syllable). A hard Brooklyn and hard Boston (not as familiar with a Maine accent) share some things in common, but definitely have their regional differences.

That's how we do it here, but it's more a "lah" on the end than a "luh." Most of these Northeastern dialects come from a common root -- the hash of European accents that clustered around the docks in the 19th century -- and I imagine the subtle regional nuances are only distinguishable to those of us who live here. To a Southerner or a European, I imagine we all sound like nose-talking characters out of a Warner Brothers potboiler in 1933.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo