Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Schnitzel und Pommes" is one of the german junkfood-favorites, next to Salami-Pizza (probably No.1), "Currywurst und Pommes", "Goulash and Maccaroni" and so on. ;)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Gulasch und makkaroni&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=gulasch und makkaroni&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

Have a good sleep at night, my buddy. :D:D:D

Thanks!
It's a pleassant sunny afternoon on the tennis courts right now.
"Have a good nite & don't let the bed-bugs bite!"

Common term over in my "neck of the woods" ;)

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Most of those new words mentioned above haven't entered my vocabulary, although a few others have. But I don't really know much contemporary slang, probably because I'm not contemporary. I'm from the past, in a manner of speaking.

There is a brand of ice cream, Haagen-Dazs, that is pure marketing on the part of a couple of Americans. Fancy name, good ice cream (I guess) but it isn't imported from Holland or anything like that. But it's a nice name. I wonder if there's a term for giving a product a fancy name when none is really deserved. Another case is somewhere south of here on U.S. Route 29 on the way to Charlottesville there is a vineyard (I think): Prince Michel's. There a gypsy caravan out front, if memory serves me. Well, he's not a prince. In the same way, way back in the 1950s, the most basic version of a car was named the "Deluxe." I don't know what the upscale version was, probably a Pontiac or Oldsmobile. We had the Chevy.

Big Joe M

New in Town
Denizens of the Fedora Lounge look askance at Asiago cheese and Fontina. No selfies or emoticons. Carbon footprints are for coal miners only. A ladies short skirt would leave a man a "twitter"

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
You can't really fault food for being food. Chipotle is a pepper, asiago and fontina cheese have been around for centuries, though ciabatta is actually an invention of the 80s. If anything, there's more food variety from other cultures at one's fingertips.

Though I still like egg creams and blue blazers.

The term is "banana sandwich"
Sliced banana with mayo on bread.
Been told it's very popular in the southern parts of the U.S. ...

Is a banana and mayo sandwich really a thing? I've never heard of it and, therefore, have never tried it, but it doesn't seem like two things that go together in any way. I'll need to be sold harder before I try that one. However, bananas and peanut butter - now we're talkin'.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Meanwhile, we've often discussed whether certain types of Bad Language were appropriate to various historical period. Well, here's sort of an Ur Document along such lines. This letter was hand-delivered to each team in baseball's National League before the 1898 season, spelling out exactly what sort of language was prohibited on the field. This is not a modern-day mockup, fake, or hoax. It's the real deal, fully authenticated by the Chief Historian of the Baseball Hall of Fame, and please be warned -- the language used will lift your stovelids. And it'll put to rest any speculation about Victorian language, at least in sporting circles in the United States.

Everyone has a hard time imagining their grandparents behaving the same way as they do.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Everyone has a hard time imagining their grandparents behaving the same way as they do.

When I was going thru my grandfather's stuff after he died I found a mimeographed "joke" letter about a farmer who experienced a series of hilariously obscene misfortunes -- it's nothing I could ever post here, being offensive on every possible level to every possible type of person, but it was par for the course for the sort of nudge-snicker humor that was common in his generation.

Another item I found among his stuff summed up his sense of humor -- a little glass bottle, likely dating from the 1930s, labeled "OLD CHIEF SITTING-SORE's CURE FOR PILES." When you removed the cap, a rubber thumb on a spring extended from the bottle.

A german term, nearly disappeared, but I would bet, that this term is still known at the european US-east coast:

The term for a naked person = "Nackedei" (nudie).

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
My grandfathers all died before I was born but I probably behave pretty much the way my father behaved, language-wise, at least. In other ways, not so much. He did not indulge in blue humor. In fact, neither he nor most of the other fathers in the neighborhood were particularly humorous or light-hearted, all of them having lived through the depression and the war. That would be WWII. "The War" means something else in some places.

I am aware that the old term for nudists in Germany (club-wise, that is) was "naked culture." But an acquaintence of some years past, who was German-born, said the "politically correct" current term was "free body culture (FKK). It is an interesting distinction. Along the same lines, according to some writers, nudist and "naturist" do not mean exactly the same thing. But I doubt there are any of either here.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In my family it was my grandmother who was not especially humorous, but she was the perfect "straight-woman" to my grandfather. He'd tease her mercilessly, fart out loud at the table and joke about it, sing bawdy songs like "Put On Your Old Gray Panties," and she'd just steam until she'd snap "CLIFFORD! THAT'S ENOUGH." And then he'd look at us kids and wiggle his eyebrows Groucho style, and we'd run off snickering.

My grandmother did have a few childhood sayings c. 1916 that she'd repeat when in the mood. "I'm a kid and you're a goat! You stink and I don't!"

I am aware that the old term for nudists in Germany (club-wise, that is) was "naked culture." But an acquaintence of some years past, who was German-born, said the "politically correct" current term was "free body culture (FKK). It is an interesting distinction. Along the same lines, according to some writers, nudist and "naturist" do not mean exactly the same thing. But I doubt there are any of either here.

Right. "Naturist" means a whole lifestyle and "nudist" is a punctual thing. But "Nackedei" is an old-fashion funny term.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
In a manner of speaking, all nudists were naturists but not all naturists were nudists. All those hiking clubs (Wandervogel), scouts and what have you were naturists in the sense I use the term. They're all going strong, I understand, more or less.

Oddly enough, there was a Hollywood tailor who produced fancy stage outfits for performers in Hollywood and Nashville. He was from Kiev and used the name "Nudie Cohn." It's just odd that someone named "Nudie" made clothing for a living.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Is a banana and mayo sandwich really a thing? I've never heard of it and, therefore, have never tried it, but it doesn't seem like two things that go together in any way. I'll need to be sold harder before I try that one. However, bananas and peanut butter - now we're talkin'.

This combination goes back to
when my folks were young.

My father would enjoy a slice of
white bread with butter & sugar.
Something that carried over and
I saw him do it at the table.

Like you, I probably would need to
be sold harder before trying.

But on the other hand, I wasn't
living in those times.
You'd be surprise what you will
eat when you are hungry and
there is not much selection
in the food pantry.

Some eating habits for some folks
never go away.

I had an uncle who mostly ate
with his hands, talked with
food in his mouth and made noises when eating.

Last edited:
This combination goes back to
when my folks were young.

My father would enjoy a slice of
white bread with butter & sugar.
Something that carried over and
I saw him do it at the table.

Like you, I probably would need to
be sold harder before trying.

But on the other hand, I wasn't
living in those times.
You'd be surprise what you will
eat when you are hungry and
there is not much selection
in the food pantry.

Some eating habits for some folks
never go away.

I had an uncle who mostly ate
with his hands, talked with
food in his mouth and made noises when eating.

White bread with butter and sugar sounds good to me. Not that far from cinnamon toast which I still eat.

Both my parent's were depression kids where having enough food was a palpable concern. My Dad seemed to move away from those foods as an adult, and, just me guessing, saw eating better as an achievement he was proud of (to himself, he didn't talk about this to others - but did tell me in his declarative manner that I should be very grateful for the food we had).

My mom, on the other hand, as an adult and to this day, eats bread and butter, cheese sandwiches, apples, Wheatena and other similar foods just like she did as a kid. And while she's been bird sized her entire life (5'1" - claimed 5'3" - +/- 100lbs), she enjoys a dessert as a treat just like it was when she was a kid. But even with desserts, it is simple food - a slice of pound cake, a cookie, vanilla ice-cream.

Funny, my dad and mom responded oppositely to growing up in the depression in that he wanted a new diet and she stayed with most of the foods from that time taking comfort (my guess) in being able to afford them now (but never really comfortable that she will always be able to).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner