Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
When my dad was an active duty firefighter in Chicago, each rank and file fireman was occasionally called upon- on a rotating basis- to drive the chief around to the various firehouses in his battalion and elsewhere. This duty was known as "driving the buggy," and obviously was a throwback to the days of the horse and buggy. No idea whether the term is still employed: Dad retired in 1980.

wallypop

New in Town
Has anyone ever heard the term"talk like a fish?" (My Dad's favorite for people saying stupid things!)

"Redhead-syndrome".

Learned the term first in the last days. :D

The phrase "treated like a redheaded stepchild," which I use myself occasionally, means to be regarded as a not entirely welcome presence -- to be tolerated more than embraced. It doesn't require a great imagination to figure out its origins.

I happen to know a literal redheaded stepchild. I count her as a friend.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've always loved this phrase, dunno why.

IMG_7827.JPG

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The talk about red light cameras brings to mind the image of a motorcycle policeman hiding behind a billboard or bushes, ready to leap out and run down the speeders and scofflaws. Or in other words, a speed trap.
Rex Stout once had his character, private eye Archie Goodwin, describe a motorcycle cop as a "bicycle Cossack."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR