Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

DNO

One Too Many
I used the tern "the sun's over the yard arm" at an event yesterday and few people knew what I meant. Sometimes I despair.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
My grandparents used many of these phrases:

"the cats meow"

"to the nines"

"the cock's walk"

"A lick and a promise"

"tit for tat"

"hustle your bustle"

"turn-a-bout is fair play"

"not jeans or Levi's they were Dungaree's"

"you paid the piper"

hot breakfast cereal was "farina"

socks were "stock'in's or stockings"

"zooty"

My mother, a repository of classic working-class New Englandisms, calls anything that's superlative "the cat's arse."

I hear (and use) that phrase quite frequently down this way.

Interesting to note, I've also heard that particular part of a dog in reference to something that's much less than superlative.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No, I mean "It", the "quality in a young woman or man of absolute attraction". As in "She's got "it"'. Kipling first used the term but it was widely popularized by Elinor Glyn in her noveland subsequent screenplay It. As Mrs Glyn said, "With 'It,' you win all men if you are a woman and all women if you are a man. 'It' can be a quality of the mind as well as a physical attraction."

See Clara Bow, widely promoted as "The "IT" Girl".

I don't know, I still hear the phrase "Use it if you've got it" by a lot of young women, but perhaps that isn't the same thing?

I'm glad to hear it. I haven't heard it used here for many years, and never by anyone outside of my grandparents generation.

It could be regional. I noticed in the supermarket the other day that one of the aisles is labeled "Breakfast food" and contains cold cereal, hot cereal, and breakfast bars.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Use it if you've got it sounds a lot like smoke em if you got em, a WW2 catch phrase.

I think it's more similar in meaning to "if you got it, flaunt it"

o
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the second is the meaning I meant. Use it if you've got it means using your "feminine wiles" to get your way, whatever that may be (get into a club, better tickets, help at the store, etc.). It is typically a mix of outright sexual provocation of the body but is also using the mind too, being flirtatious, etc.

Do people not say that anywhere else? I had a woman say that in a conversation to me last Thursday.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the second is the meaning I meant. Use it if you've got it means using your "feminine wiles" to get your way, whatever that may be (get into a club, better tickets, help at the store, etc.). It is typically a mix of outright sexual provocation of the body but is also using the mind too, being flirtatious, etc.

Do people not say that anywhere else? I had a woman say that in a conversation to me last Thursday.

Well, I cannot say as I recall anyone ever saying that to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou