Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

My grandmother used both those terms as well. In fact, when I was a kid almost everyone referee to comic books as funny books

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Veronica T

Familiar Face
In fact, when I was a kid almost everyone referee to comic books as funny books.

The local afternoon newspaper printed the daily cartoons, crossword puzzle, human interest stories on green broadsheet. It was called 'The Green Sheet'.

In the Sunday morning newspaper, cartoons were printed in color in large format on white newsprint. This section of the paper was referred to as the 'funny papers'.

After March 18, 1995, the newspaper discontinued the green paper and downsized from full-size broadsheet.

We never had a "green sheet", but my little brother and I fought over the "funny papers" on many a Sunday morning. When I was a teen, I spent many hours looking for jobs and cars in the "want ads" too. I don't hear that term used as much for the classifieds these days either.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Mine, too . . .

When I was a small child my grandmother would tell me to, "Put away your play pretties", meaning my toys. They also referred to a comic book as a "funny book".

My grandmother has always used that term, except it sounds more like "play purties" when she says it. She also pronounces Chicago as "Shi-car-go."
Growing up on a farm in rural Mississippi in the 1940's and 50's 'll do that to ya.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My grandmother has always used that term, except it sounds more like "play purties" when she says it. She also pronounces Chicago as "Shi-car-go."
Growing up on a farm in rural Mississippi in the 1940's and 50's 'll do that to ya.

A lot more accurate than a manifestation often heard in the city itself: Chi-CAA-go. Some of my family butcher it accordingly, although I prefer Chi-caw-go. (Hit the "caw" too hard, and you sound like a kid from Brooklyn exiled here to finish law school.)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of city names, you never hear the hard-G pronunciation of "Los Ang-less" anymore, a pronunciation required of announcers at station KHJ in the thirties. Their rivals at KFI and KNX pronounced it "Los Anj-less."

With regards to city names & TV announcers...

The local TV announcers refer to them as " the Spurs " .

But from other parts of the country...the announcers
will say " the San Antonio Spurs"...

Is this a policy ?

A lot more accurate than a manifestation often heard in the city itself: Chi-CAA-go. Some of my family butcher it accordingly, although I prefer Chi-caw-go. (Hit the "caw" too hard, and you sound like a kid from Brooklyn exiled here to finish law school.)
My mother-in-law and father-in-law were both born and raised in Italy, and immigrated separately to the U.S. before the age of 20. They eventually settled in the Chicago area, which is where they met, fell in love, and married. They both pronounced it Chi-ca-go, with the "ch" in first syllable pronounced the same as most people pronounce the "ch" in the word "chicken".

Speaking of city names, you never hear the hard-G pronunciation of "Los Ang-less" anymore, a pronunciation required of announcers at station KHJ in the thirties. Their rivals at KFI and KNX pronounced it "Los Anj-less."
I'm fine with either pronunciation, but hearing it pronounced "Los Ang-guh-leeze" is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

With regards to city names & TV announcers...

The local TV announcers refer to them as "the Spurs". But from other parts of the country...the announcers will say "the San Antonio Spurs". Is this a policy?
It might be policy, but I think the local announcers simply operate on the presumption that anyone who lives in San Antonio (to use your example) would know who the Spurs are and which city they're associated with, so there's no need to repeat it every time they say the team's name.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I had a friend born and raised in Cripple Crick, Colorado. :D

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many

I often note two actors in the same old television show or movie (1950's for TV, 1950's and earlier for movies) pronounce the city's name differently. A third variant I recall is Los Angle-ese. If I recall correctly, Perry Mason (Raymond Burr) and Hamilton Burger (William Tallman) use different variants.

buelligan

One of the Regulars
My mother-in-law and father-in-law were both born and raised in Italy, and immigrated separately to the U.S. before the age of 20. They eventually settled in the Chicago area, which is where they met, fell in love, and married. They both pronounced it Chi-ca-go, with the "ch" in first syllable pronounced the same as most people pronounce the "ch" in the word "chicken".

Thats funny, I was born in Chicago but my parents moved back to Ohio after dad was laid off from the airlines when I was under 2 years old and that's how I find myself pronouncing it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Then there was Ken Curtis, who played Festus on Gunsmoke, and always said he was born in Lamar, Coloray-do!

Heard a little Hendrix this morning and it got me thinking. The term "foxy" was obviously well in use by the late 60s as an adjective for an attractive woman, and I can remember it still being well in use in the 80s, but you seem to hear it less these days..........but I can remember my dad, who was from a much earlier generation, using the term to describe being drunk. That would lend a whole different interpretation to Hendrix's lyric. I wonder about when this term evolved from one meaning to another?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Before that it had an even earlier meaning -- to call someone foxy meant they were sly or clever, and had nothing whatever to do with appearance. A popular comic strip around 1905 was "Foxy Grandpa," dealing with an unpredictable senior citizen, and for many years after a "foxy grandpa" was an older man who was always up to something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou