Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texas Fires

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Any members have this going on around them?
I have a FIL who's mother lost her house, in Linden, and another relative being evacuated in Crockett.
Really scary.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez, they sure do everything big in Texas. I personally and with all serious respect, hope they will have those fires under control soon. Seems like we have had enough of things happen this year as it is.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Thanks for your concern guys, the fire that is West of Austin is about 60 mles East of me. So far......everyone around here has been sensible and well behaved, and we have had no fires close by, but I do feel like I've been holding my breath for 4 months, trusting that our good fortune continues and the house doesn't burn and the well doesn't run dry.

MP

Renault

One Too Many
I'm a fifth generation Bastrop County Texas resident. Currently where the big fire is.... I've posted some stuff down in the Temp in you live thread. It's pretty bad here. Worst I've seen here ,,,, ever..... Sis in law lost everything, along with 475 other households....... Very surreal.

I made the comment earlier........ I was in Gulfport Ms D+5 after Katrina. In New Orleans that January. Rita here. Some for volunteer work and some as I was working emergency operations with the state. I had hoped I would never have to see this kind of thing ever again..... When you get older, this stuff affects you differently ...........

Thanks to you all for your concern and thoughts!!!!!!

Renault

Last edited:

rue

Thanks for your concern guys, the fire that is West of Austin is about 60 mles East of me. So far......everyone around here has been sensible and well behaved, and we have had no fires close by, but I do feel like I've been holding my breath for 4 months, trusting that our good fortune continues and the house doesn't burn and the well doesn't run dry.

MP

Glad you're okay Mike!

I couldn't remember who all lived in Texas, so thank you Gregg for starting this thread :)
So sorry to hear about your family member's loses......

MikePotts

Practically Family
Glad you checked in Bob (Renault), keep us informed. The wind has abated here tonight so I trust the Fire Departments (God Bless 'em) will be able to get some sort of control before morning.

Rue, at the risk of being accused of ...................I dunno what..........this site, and your additions in particular have proven to be a much needed and appreciated distraction from what Mother Nature may have in store for us before the rains finally arrive. Thank You.

MP

Justin B

One Too Many
Hate that this is my first post back but my roomers sister lost her house and cars along with her place of business. We are planning on going down tomorrow and seeing if anything can be salvaged.

rue

Rue, at the risk of being accused of ...................I dunno what..........this site, and your additions in particular have proven to be a much needed and appreciated distraction from what Mother Nature may have in store for us before the rains finally arrive. Thank You.

MP

Gosh... I don't know what to say except that I'm glad that I (and the lounge) could help get your mind off the horrible things going on down there for at least for a minute or two.
I'm just going to accuse you of being a sweet guy :)
Stay safe!

Hate that this is my first post back but my roomers sister lost her house and cars along with her place of business. We are planning on going down tomorrow and seeing if anything can be salvaged.
I'm so very sorry for your friend's loss Justin....

MikePotts

Practically Family

Very Sorry to hear that Justin, I hope all turns out as well as possible.

jkingrph

Practically Family
None that I know of really close. There was one NW of Frankston and a bigger one SW of Longview Sunday. The news reported a lot of highways closed and were hoping that they could stop it at one of the highways, but it jumped across. Late yesterday afternoon the sky just to the east of us was filled with smoke.

I heard on the news that a young woman and her baby lost their lives when they were trapped in a mobile home, somewhere near Gladewater.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All that sounds really, really tragic. I'm sorry to everyone who lost property or knows someone who did. Stay strong and i hope they will get put out soon and not hurt anyone else.

The mother and the baby is beyond tragic. That must have been terrifying.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering about you & Steph, Renault... definitely keeping you guys in my thoughts.

We're in the DFW area, so nothing too close to us. I have friends & relatives west of here (Parker & Palo Pinto counties), so I always keep a close watch when things flare up in PK area.

It is difficult to see our state going up in flames like this, but even more difficult to see/hear the public reactions from other parts of the country. I can't even read the articles on CNN anymore because of all the rude comments, people wishing our whole state would just burn up and how everyone would be better off. It is very nice to read this thread and know that not everyone in the US thinks that way.

Unrelated, but last night we went to check out a lake not far from our house, currently down over 19 feet. We walked down the closed marina boat ramp & far out past all the buoys sitting on the ground, lost anchors, fish carcasses, old bottles, etc. We were under the spillway and normally, we'd have been under 30+ feet of water. Bone dry and still receding. Very eerie.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is difficult to see our state going up in flames like this, but even more difficult to see/hear the public reactions from other parts of the country. I can't even read the articles on CNN anymore because of all the rude comments, people wishing our whole state would just burn up and how everyone would be better off. It is very nice to read this thread and know that not everyone in the US thinks that way.

That's disgusting.... I can't think of anything to say beyond that. Those people lack any shred of humanity.

Renault

One Too Many
^My ancestors landed there after leaving Germany, so I have a special place in my heart for the state :)

I imagine they arrived thru Indianola! The town no longer exists as it was destroyed by a hurricane. Galveston then became th big port of entry.

Today was a rough day. I just kept on and on learning of close friends who lost everything. Very depressing....

Renault

MikePotts

Practically Family
Me too Bob,
Today was 'BNO' - Boys' Night Out............OK Boys' Happy Hour:eek:.......... and we learned that the daughter of one of our 'posse' had lost her all near Bastrop - rough day indeed.
One of our 'crew' has a trailer that he's lending to her until she can rebuild, but I'm sure that there are many who have no support.

As to all those sophmoric children who cackle at the plight of those Texas folk............your day will come, and Texas will be there stronger and mightier to assist you.

MP

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I read where the Czechs settled near Caldwell TX, where my inlaws are.
Hence the Bretheren Churches, and the Kolachi festivals.
I wondered why they had that in a town of 3000, and now I know. LOL
Very scary indeed.

Renault

One Too Many
I read where the Czechs settled near Caldwell TX, where my inlaws are.
Hence the Bretheren Churches, and the Kolachi festivals.
I wondered why they had that in a town of 3000, and now I know. LOL
Very scary indeed.

Gregg, we are just down the road from Caldwell. Matter of fact the oldest son drives thru there every morning on the way to work. He married a Wendish girl from Lexington. Wends are German speaking Slavs for the most part.

Regardless of what is said about 'em, most Texans are pretty forgiving folks, and will be there to help when you need it! I remember my grand maw. Never finished the 3rd grade. Born on the blackland prairie. Raised all her siblings as she was the oldest of 13. Then had her own family, and still picked cotton. All she knew was hard work and Bible verses. She was always there for any and all..... Never knew a stranger, all were her friends. Never wore a pair of slacks or took a drink in her life. Never drove a car. Died at 92 back in '86.

Sorry for waxing nostalgia..

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy