Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank God for Ralph Lauren

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, once at a local flea market, a buyer was loudly haggling with a vendor back and forth. Finally the vendor said "I know you work for Ralph Lauren and you can afford it!"

The buyer didn't say anything, he just opened his wallet and forked over the cash.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Similar to this? I don't know. It's from ebay and didn't arrive yet. I was looking for the knitted waistcoat thingies and liked this because it is rather different and somewhat "deco"

FFF, I found this RL one last week:
$T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFKGVBRQ2M-TcJw~~60_1.JPG

It's perfect!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
:)

But don't get me wrong, I love their clothes! I recently counted the number of RL and RL Chaps items are in my own closet, I was surprised at how many.

Yeah, once at a local flea market, a buyer was loudly haggling with a vendor back and forth. Finally the vendor said "I know you work for Ralph Lauren and you can afford it!"

The buyer didn't say anything, he just opened his wallet and forked over the cash.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I just wish he made more of the classic stuff up to the standards of the Purple Label line (Saint Andrews?).

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I just wish he made more of the classic stuff up to the standards of the Purple Label line (Saint Andrews?).

Speaking of Purple Label, here is a prize find from last fall I've not had much of a chance to wear yet. Cream linen Purple Lapel DB belted back sport coat. Great quality on the construction and materials, and wonderful fit on those high arms holes! Also RL POW check trousers.

406479823.jpg

406479821.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

FFF, I found this RL one last week:
$T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFKGVBRQ2M-TcJw~~60_1.JPG

It's perfect!
Cool. You can really make bargains with the "normal" RL lines. I think this could easily be RRL but then it would be more expensive.

Great linen jacket, Chasseur. RL makes a cool rounded chest pocket imo. How is the rise on the trousers?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great linen jacket, Chasseur. RL makes a cool rounded chest pocket imo. How is the rise on the trousers?

Danke Flo! The trouser rise is pretty high for modern trousers (say belly button height) some RL trousers do have a decent rise its just a matter of trial and error and finding the lines that you like.

406479822.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

And inward facing pleats too. Great. I could need some new trousers too. Even though I just got some custom trousers from janet. I don't want to wear them out to quickly.

Do the RL trousers have a name of the model on them?

DamianM

Vendor
Speaking of Purple Label, here is a prize find from last fall I've not had much of a chance to wear yet. Cream linen Purple Lapel DB belted back sport coat. Great quality on the construction and materials, and wonderful fit on those high arms holes! Also RL POW check trousers.

406479823.jpg

406479821.jpg

I have been looking for a linen DB, specially by RL. Since Ill probably never find an original 30s-40s.
I came across the womans version DB with all the bells and whistles. Belted pleated action back with vented pockets aswell. With the Guaranteed to wrinkle label.

No luck for a 42 linen DB jacket.

Flat Foot Floey

There are some on german ebay but with a high buy it now price. Well cheaper than new. I think 150€. Should I send you a link?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted

406479823.jpg

406479821.jpg
Perfect!

cookie

I'll Lock Up

406479823.jpg

406479821.jpg

Love to see some more close up shots of that jacket mate!

DamianM

Vendor
although its way to small and was probably made for woman since its says size 8, I picked it up for reference. Maybe get a copy made down the line.

documentname113.jpg

documentname17.jpg

documentname15.jpg

documentname18.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i spoke to Doug Bihlmaier yesterday at an RRL evening at the London Store, Mount Street. Doug is the 'vice president vintage and antiques buyer' - an enviable job.

he basically finds vintage clothes and shoes which go back to the design team for inspiration. he also finds objects / fittings for the stores. he was instrumental in the 'concept' behind RRL and helped define the look of the adverts and stores (apparently Ralph's first idea for the interiors was very modern but it wasn't working). this is him:

doug_zps150fa62d.jpg

more here:

http://www.teakandtides.com/2012/01/industry-icon-doug-bihlmaier.html

i asked him about the low rise on most (all) of RRL's trousers and said it was a sticking point for a lot of vintage enthusiasts. the first thing he said was "well Ralph's a small guy and he likes to wear the jeans".
i pressed him further and asked if it was a conscious decision to keep in line with the modern 'look'. he agreed, and also said Ralph liked to hang out in a certain place (i forget where) just to see what the young people are wearing and to be inspired by it.

Doug isn't really the right person to ask about this since he's not one of the actual designers, but i thought i'd try to get his take on it anyway.
he's a very sweet, humble man.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks for sharing the story-
Ah, I recognise the guy, he has been photographed by the sartorialist I think.
I had saved a few photos of him in the past, like his outfits.

Feraud

Bartender
i spoke to Doug Bihlmaier yesterday at an RRL evening at the London Store, Mount Street. Doug is the 'vice president vintage and antiques buyer' - an enviable job.

Thanks HBK, appreciate you posting Bihlmaier's comments. It's good to know someone in the company is aware of the concerns from a segment of their market.
With this in mind RL may one day be inspired(bad pun intended..) to do a line of high-waisted trousers and see how the market reacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran