Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The $100,000 hat

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
Might not be getting the joke here and apologize if that's the case But, in this case, the advertisement is paid by me: I saw it, I tell it how it is.
PS
I hope that my earlier comment does not initiate a political fight here. Not the intention. I respect everyone's believes.

oh no
smack.gif
lol lol lol

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I was expecting you'd add a picture of a bald dictator this time CB!
I'm still hysterical from that other post of yours!:D :p

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Sad. This sort of thing reminds me of the United Fruit Company.

What no bananas...or no big bananas?lol [huh]

Black says. "So I pay the weavers higher prices than anyone else in the world. Plus I pay the artists commissions when their art is sold. Simón Espinal is the highest paid weaver in history. He only weaves 3 or 4 hats per year, and they're priced between $10,000 and $30,000 apiece."

How much is Simon's end...I wonder?

Akubra

Familiar Face
CRH said:
I'd let my dog drink out of it.

:eusa_clap lol lol

HELL YEAH !!!

A comedian (I don't remember who) said that cocaine was one of Gods ways of letting you know that you had too much money. Perhaps a hat for 100K that was made by some poor Ecuadorian that made maybe $2500 that YEAR is also Gods way of saying you not only have too much money but you also have an incurable disease....BEING AN ******!

One last thing, I have a hand made one of a kind tooth brush made with a Waterford crystal handle and the bristles are gold wire (extra hard for stained teeth) only 3 are made a year. YOURS for only $15,000

ANY TAKERS ??????????

Dixon Cannon

Here's what BBB says about compensation...

" http://brentblack.com/pages/best_05.html
Here's an excerpt:

Before we began to work together, he could not earn enough from weaving to support his family. He worked on a fishing boat. He, his wife, and their three children, all lived with Simón’s parents. Lived in one room with a dirt floor. In an interview with World Vision Network, Simón said they often didn’t have enough to eat.

Now Simón weaves full time. His dependable, guaranteed weaving income is in the top 30% of all incomes in his country. The cash price he now receives for each hat makes him the highest paid weaver in history. He also receives an artist’s commission when one of his works of art is purchased.

When he received his artist’s commissions from the sale of his first two hats, it was more than he used to earn in three years of weaving, before El Gringo Loco came a knockin’ on his door. Jorge and Diego helped him open his first bank account. I stayed out of the way. But I was there and I felt good about it. Simón looked like he felt pretty good about it too.

Simón has received a commission from a single hat that was about equal to what he used to earn in five years. And he has received more than one such commission
."

That's from BBB's website regarding the compensation for Simon.

-dixon cannon

Garrett

CB, I'd be more inclined to buy a nice panama based on your photos and posts in the panama canal thread before I'd buy one simply because Pierce Brosnan has the same one :eek: :D

Carlisle Blues

Garrett said:
CB, I'd be more inclined to buy a nice panama based on your photos and posts in the panama canal thread before I'd buy one simply because Pierce Brosnan has the same one :eek: :D

No argument from me. I, ummmmmmm, do not want to pay for PR work or any nonsense associated with junkets to Ecuador, really beautiful websites set up by professionals or costs associated with courting celebs to let me use their name. :)

BTW thanks for the compliment. ;)

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Dixon Cannon said:
" http://brentblack.com/pages/best_05.html
Here's an excerpt:

Before we began to work together, he could not earn enough from weaving to support his family. He worked on a fishing boat. He, his wife, and their three children, all lived with Simón’s parents. Lived in one room with a dirt floor. In an interview with World Vision Network, Simón said they often didn’t have enough to eat.

Now Simón weaves full time. His dependable, guaranteed weaving income is in the top 30% of all incomes in his country. The cash price he now receives for each hat makes him the highest paid weaver in history. He also receives an artist’s commission when one of his works of art is purchased.

When he received his artist’s commissions from the sale of his first two hats, it was more than he used to earn in three years of weaving, before El Gringo Loco came a knockin’ on his door. Jorge and Diego helped him open his first bank account. I stayed out of the way. But I was there and I felt good about it. Simón looked like he felt pretty good about it too.

Simón has received a commission from a single hat that was about equal to what he used to earn in five years. And he has received more than one such commission
."

That's from BBB's website regarding the compensation for Simon.

-dixon cannon

Well here is a youtube documentary about the Panama hat which shows how Simon Espinal and his family really live - very, very poorly. At the end of the first video and at the beginning of the second video, they visit the Espinal family and talk to Simon Espinal PLEASE SEE FOR YOURSELF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp8bg451EQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZ4DoIdSwA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVm_ZbKVnTk&feature=related

You can see under which poor conditions they live there - the house dark and shabby, the whole town of Pile looks awful...

When Simon is asked whether it's hard to give away the hat, he has worked on for so long he replies that of course it's hard, and it would be nice to keep a hat as a memento and to feel proud of his work but he says sadly he can't because otherwise they wouldn't have enough to live.
They even talk about how much money he earns... watch it yourself.

The videos were added on Dec 23 /24 2007. hence, I assume they are not too old.

To me, this is clear evidence that Simon Espinal does not earn 40% of the selling price. In the documentary they say 10 % or less...

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Does the truth differ from "what is stated" ? We'd all benefit from what you know, so help us out, huh.

Esquire, I'm hoping things have changed. Keep listening to stories. I'm hoping that they're true now. I used to talk to Brent Black often, just about every week for a while there. I was impressed. A visit to Pile changed my mind. I found one building in town that was donated, though drummed up on one website as a medical center, it was just a simple building, but clearly paid for by Orlando Palacios and associate...not the person that was flaunting it. There's lots more, but this isn't the place for it, TES. I'd gladly take you down there, TES, but nothing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo