Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 24 Hour Wellington

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Very interesting. A Wellington is currently undergoing restoration (really amounting to a rebuilding) at my local RAF museum. The geodetic structure is very different from other pre-war designs. Typical Barnes Wallis innovation. It will be a great addition to the collection when finished.

My wife's late mother worked at Vickers in Broughton in WW2 - she may have worked on this same 'plane. She would never talked about her time there.

I've always liked the Wimpy. I think the old bird's contribution to WW2* is often overlooked in the literature in favour of the later 'heavies'. Just my opinion of course.

* <Added later> I refer here, of course, to the medium bomber, and not my wife's late mother...

kampkatz

Practically Family
Great story about the 24 hour Wimpy. My cousin's husband comes from Germany, and he tells a story of seeing "many" Wellingtons fall from the sky during a raid over Wilhelmshaven as a child.

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Interwebz says that LN514 went to No 19 OTU at Kinloss. The unit started to re-equip with Wellingtons in Aug 1944 so maybe it went into storage for a while. LN514 was eventually scrapped in 1948, quite possibly at the MU on the other side of Hawarden airfield from where she was built.

On BBC TV -

Wellington Bomber – a documentary built around a wartime propaganda stunt in which aircraft workers constructed a plane in under 30 hours – was more successful at conveying the intensity of those years and the poignancy of looking back at them now, mostly because the intensity of the individual voices hadn't been varnished with actorly intensity. "You couldn't call it dancing," said one old lady recalling her husband's performance on the dance floor, "it was like taking a wheelbarrow round the room." And an ex-Wellington bomber pilot called "Tiny" Cooling heartbreakingly recalled a young flyer called Naylor ("everybody liked him but nobody took the blindest bit of notice of him because he looked like he was just out of his pram") coming into his room at the base and weeping like a child because his best friend hadn't returned. Three weeks later, Cooling was clearing out Naylor's barracks room because he hadn't returned from a mission. Ways of making you feel younger than you are may be disputed. But if you want to make young men feel a hundred years old war seems to work every time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ight-bbc2-wellington-bomber-bbc4-2079273.html

Veteran recalls Wellington bomber raids
(article & video)
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardif...calls-wellington-bomber-raids-91466-27190873/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick