Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
daddydg said:
Has anyone trimmed the brim of a Campdraft? How does the shape of the Squatter's crown compare to the crown of a Campdraft (according to EA they are the same height)?

The Squatter's crown is somewhat shorter than the Campdraft and Federation IV, and the brim is dimensional but only off from the Campdraft my a few millimeters. The Campdraft's crown is bigger than the Squatter and the Federation IV.

I don't think I've ever seen a trimmed down Campdraft. GTD strictly forbids it. He says the crown and brim are in great proportion. I remember someone ordering a custom Campdraft with a smaller brim, but to my memory there are no pics of that one yet.

I'm thinking that if you're not too attached to the Open Road style, and you are able to effectively shorten the crown, trimming the brim won't be too much of a problem. You'll lose the bound edge, but I suppose you could always have it rebound by a hatter.

Don't think for a second, though, that I won't massacre that hat to make it to my liking. However, I'll give it a shot, a trial month. If the OR style hasn't grown on me in that time (though I suspect it will), then :kick: .

daddydg said:
... How does the shape of the Squatter's crown compare to the crown of a Campdraft (according to EA they are the same height)?
The only way to explain those 2 crowns being the same is the measurement is taken post creasing. There is NO WAY a Campdraft in open crown state is the same height as a Squatter...
Trimming the brim of a Campdraft is blasphemy! Something HarpPlayerGene would consider.... :eek:

daddydg said:
Has anyone trimmed the brim of a Campdraft? How does the shape of the Squatter's crown compare to the crown of a Campdraft (according to EA they are the same height)?

The other thing about the Squatter crown is that it's more tapered, which is OK if you like that look. If you want a high, straight crown and don't like the size of the Campdraft brim, you may as well go with a Fed. The only difference would be in the ribbon, which could be changed, maybe more easily than a brim trim.

If it pleases the Court...

I present exhibit A...
img3468u.jpg

The defense rests...

Neophyte

gtdean48 said:
I present exhibit A...
img3468u.jpg

The defense rests...

My Campdraft should arrive tomorrow. If I can bash it as good-lookin' as that one, then you'll have proven me wrong.

...if I can't.........chop chop.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Gtdean, it pleases me that you used my hat as an example. I can understand cutting down the brim of a Squatter (that's a big brim), and I think Neophyte was justified in doing so as the results looked great. However, I look at the Campdraft and I can't imagine trimming the brim because it looks perfect the way it is. Hopefully Neophyte will see it that way when he receives his. I mean, it's his hat and he can do what he wants with it, but dear God, Neophyte, please don't do it! :eek: Or do. It ain't my hat, after all. [huh] ;) :D

And Neophyte, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. If you bash the hat and it doesn't look right, I don't see why trimming the brim will help. [huh] I do appreciate the compliment, though, so thanks very much. :D

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
Gtdean, it pleases me that you used my hat as an example. I can understand cutting down the brim of a Squatter (that's a big brim), and I think Neophyte was justified in doing so as the results looked great. However, I look at the Campdraft and I can't imagine trimming the brim because it looks perfect the way it is. Hopefully Neophyte will see it that way when he receives his. I mean, it's his hat and he can do what he wants with it, but dear God, Neophyte, please don't do it! :eek: Or do. It ain't my hat, after all. [huh] ;) :D

lol

The brim of the Squatter is dimensional, and from the front or back will look exactly the same width as the Campdraft. The difference is the height of the crown and the accompanying increase in volume, plus the lighter color and the thin ribbon.

I will definitely give it a chance, especially since I consider the Campdraft to be my new weather hat (after all, the 2.88" brim does not protect me from rain, snow and sunshine as well as the Squatter's new 2.38" brim).

At any rate, this is the Akubra Squatter thread, so let's move the Campdraft discussions and pictures to the Campdraft thread.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
My Campdraft should arrive tomorrow. If I can bash it as good-lookin' as that one, then you'll have proven me wrong.

...if I can't.........chop chop.
Neo, I haven't had much time to keep up on TFL lately. What color CD did you order?

Neophyte

Spats McGee said:
Neo, I haven't had much time to keep up on TFL lately. What color CD did you order?

After much deliberation between the Taupe Fawn, Silverbelly, Glen Grey and Bluegrass Green, here is what I determined:

---I already have the green Squatter.
---I don't have many blacks, greys, and whites, so Glen Grey is out.
---Silverbelly isn't actually silver.

Thus, while searching I found someones amazing picture of the Taupe Fawn CD with a blue denim background. It looked amazing, and since I'll probably be wearing jeans most of the time in college, I had instantly made my decision.

...A Taupe Fawn Campdraft it is...and it should arrive today!!!:D :D :D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Those are all good colors, but I think you made the right decision . . . for your first CD. ;) My CD is Taupe Fawn. Very versatile color. College, jeans, . . . come about October, it'll get plenty of noggin time, I think. Hope you're pleased with it when it arrives.

Neophyte

You and me both. I really wanted the TawnyFawn FedIV with the dark brown ribbon, but the dimensional brim is really, really annoying. The Squatter has a dimensional brim, but only a difference of 3mm.

Thank you, Spats. It took me since before I bought the Squatter and Fedora (the latter of which gets absolutely NO head time, and probably never will again, at least out of the house) to figure out what color I wanted.

Now, once again :p , let's move all this Campdraft stuff to the Campdraft thread. This here's the Squatter's turf, see:

squatter-carbongrey-large.jpg
SquatterREBORN1-1.jpg
SquatterMidFawn.jpg
SquatterBanjoPlayin1.jpg
SquatterREBORN3-1.jpg
SquatterDarkRoom.jpg
SquatterBanjoPlayin2.jpg
SquatterBanjoPlayin3.jpg
WillowGreenHat-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members