Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, all the talk on another post about black hats and this thread about the Squatter has gotten me to order my second one, this time in Black !! I especially liked the new pic that is on David Morgans site for the black Squatter ( I've included it here) showing a different crease style sealed it for me. I am going to do my best to duplicate it when I get it. Sent my money off today so will probaly have by this time next week!! The joys of ordering from the U.S. :)

1610blk-bashed_lg61-1.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That pinched telescope crease looks really smart! One day I'll get myself a black Squatter (inspired by CRH's "barb wire shield"). Can't wait to see what you do with it, Monbla!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to try and give it THAT crease :) Get away from my usual center dent/front pinch style I usually do !! BTW, my next Akubra after this one will be a Fawn Cattleman for my typical "Dinkum Aussie" style hat :) ( w/ one of DM's braided Kangaroo bands of course :) )

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeps that Squatter looks good. You do well to wear the wide brim. You could do western easy and look great! John

Thanks. I do like the wide brim. I would like a little bit more crown to balance it, but it is a great hat.

I would like to have a western, but I can't justify it very well at the moment, as a) I am broke, and b: I live in the city, so it would be very out of place.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
You make a good point, Monbla256. It looks good that way....now I have to do some thinking. I was going to get my brim trimmed.

Duper

Practically Family
Sizing on Squatters?

Hi guys, so say I wanted to branch out a bit from my collection of Camp Drafts, Fed IVs and Banjo Patersons, how does the Squatter size out? The Banjo in a 58 I need a of bit foam behind the sweat (I think the taper makes them smaller) , the CDs even more (no taper) and the Feds next to nothing (slightly smaller original block). My Traveller and Casual at 58 fit smack perfect but they are a fabric sweat, so a totally different fit. I always prefer to go a bit large rather then snug. If they are really generous made maybe I could get by with a 57?

Also does anyone own a steel grey Akubra that they can post some got sample shots.

Much appreciated.

Neophyte

Hi guys, so say I wanted to branch out a bit from my collection of Camp Drafts, Fed IVs and Banjo Patersons, how does the Squatter size out? The Banjo in a 58 I need a of bit foam behind the sweat (I think the taper makes them smaller) , the CDs even more (no taper) and the Feds next to nothing (slightly smaller original block). My Traveller and Casual at 58 fit smack perfect but they are a fabric sweat, so a totally different fit. I always prefer to go a bit large rather then snug. If they are really generous made maybe I could get by with a 57?

Also does anyone own a steel grey Akubra that they can post some got sample shots.

Much appreciated.

TheInterchange has a steel/carbon grey Squatter lying around somewhere.

My experience with the Squatter was that it was true to size. HOWEVER, the crown on the Squatter seems to be much more circular/rounder than that of the FedIVs and Campdrafts. Mine turned out to be not so good a fit, being that I'm a Long Oval lol.

theinterchange

One Too Many
TheInterchange has a steel/carbon grey Squatter lying around somewhere.

I sold it a few months ago. The carbon grey is very "blue" so much so that most of the time it didn't look grey at all. I'll dig up a photo of the hat so you can see what I mean.

Randy

Here are a few... on head and then with other Akubras that I own/have owned.

4232037385_dbc5e1f8fc.jpg

4311629553_24b17d4d90.jpg

I fiddled with the colors on the first photo after taking it to get an accurate representation of the felt color. It was very much a dusty navy blue.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I currently have one Squatter with another on the way and three other Akubra's and I ordered ALL in my exact head size ( except my latest Bushman which I ordered one size larger based on my experience with my 30yo one .) and have had NO problems at all with fit. Just wear 'em in a couple of good rains and get 'em good and soaked and then wear 'm dry and get on with it !!! I'm lucky in that I'm NOT a LO so that helps :)

Last edited:

Neophyte

I sold it a few months ago. The carbon grey is very "blue" so much so that most of the time it didn't look grey at all. I'll dig up a photo of the hat so you can see what I mean.

Randy

Correction: Theinterchange has a picture of a steel/carbon grey Squatter lying around somewhere. lol

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks guys.

Dusty navy blue,,that I think is exactly what I am looking for. Now, are carbon and steel grey two different shades of grey? I have a carbon Casual and the Akubra website lists out the Squatter in Steel Grey and the Casual in carbon. I was hoping for a bit more of a bluish grey.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks guys.

Dusty navy blue,,that I think is exactly what I am looking for. Now, are carbon and steel grey two different shades of grey? I have a carbon Casual and the Akubra website lists out the Squatter in Steel Grey and the Casual in carbon. I was hoping for a bit more of a bluish grey.

That is a REALLY good question, Duper. I see what you mean on the Steel Squatter, Carbon Casual thing. You know... I think Hats Direct have the color name wrong as other sources cite it as "Steel Grey". Everything Australian say it's Steel, and sure as anything Akubra's own site should know what the color is. Hmmm interesting discrepancy.

Randy

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks Interchange, I like the colour in your posted pics. I'm going to go with it carbon and steel being two different shades. Now to sort out a few other details. Much appreciated all!

Neophyte

Thanks Interchange, I like the colour in your posted pics. I'm going to go with it carbon and steel being two different shades. Now to sort out a few other details. Much appreciated all!

Actually, Duper, I'm fairly sure they are the same shade. HatsDirect's Squatter in grey looks exactly like the color on my carbon grey Fedora/Sydney. Plus, they appear on the same color swatch on Akubra's color chart: http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra-colour-swatch-card.pdf.

You ought to still take caution, but this may be something to look into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis