Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Yeah. That's wierd.

Nix that comment about Aussie brim curl.
It's just that, if the brim wouldn't snap so much up front and curl so much in back, I could wear it at less of an angle.

But I don't care, cause I love this hat. I'm definitely going to get another one. I like the look of the FedIV, but not the dimensional brim. My Square face looks great with a mostly straight-sided hat with some roundness, which is exactly what my Squatter is...

It was weird, I'd get the brim right on one side and it would go lop-sided on the other. I thought it was doing it because the hat was too tight, but the leather was stitched to the inside of the crown so you'd move it one way and the other side went screwy. It's all wonderful now though.

Neo, go for it. The Squatter's a great hat. :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree completely. Now I only have to decide between Black and Fawn. I would love to have a grey one and DavidMorgans grey puggaree, and the Black looks fantastic, but considering the amount of earthtones I have, I'm probably gonna go with Fawn.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I agree completely. Now I only have to decide between Black and Fawn. I would love to have a grey one and DavidMorgans grey puggaree, and the Black looks fantastic, but considering the amount of earthtones I have, I'm probably gonna go with Fawn.

I imagine the black would garner "Amish" or "Mennonite" comments from the uneducated masses.

Randy

Neophyte

That's alright, as those same comments would garner a humorous chuckle from me.

Besides, if anyone asked, I would educate them:

"This hat right here is is made by Akubra and is styled particularly after the type of hat favored by wealthy Australian landowners. I have styled it as a fedora. It is made of rabbit fur. Here's the URL of the site at which I purchased it, as well as a particularly informative forum (TFL). Now, good day to you, as I must be on my way..."

Then again, if the comment is derogatory, then I will walk past on my merry way without the slightest change in expression, and all I will respond with is this: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28: :fing28:

theinterchange said:
I imagine the black would garner "Amish" or "Mennonite" comments from the uneducated masses. Randy

Actually, when you get a fair distance from the Amish and Mennonite areas the uneducated tend to have no clue about these religeous sects or their lifestyles. However, if you want to talk about Britney Spears or Maury "DNA Test" Povich they'll be up to speed.:eek:

Neophyte

If you can't tell, I'm smiling in my Squatter.

Years of admiring the anti-heros and baddies of movies, television, anime, and video games, and I've somewhat adopted the "smirk." I can actually tell that the muscles on the left side of my face that pull back the lip are stronger than the ones on the right. Makes for a fairly bad driver's license photo lol .

SquatterBackyard.jpg

Just pickin' some weeds in my backyard/side of mountain, using the squatter for shade and sweat control. The green of the hat, rich in person, just does not want to show itself in my photos, it comes off kinda grey...

Neophyte

Outgoing email sent to DavidMorgan requesting pics of their Mid-Fawn Squatter (I'm wary whenever the word "Fawn" is involved). Depending on their response, I'll have either a Black or brown hat coming my way.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I've been all talk lately, so here's my Squatter on the noggin'. History unknown. I picked it up on ebay and it had an unsymmetrical bash like it had been stored improperly. So I gave it a centerdent bash with a wide pinch in the front and minimal indents on the sides. It's moonstone color, Imperial felt, salmon colored liner and no vent holes. It was my normal size (59), but a little round and slightly snug, but not too bad. I stretched the hat over my knee and now the fit is much better. I've bashed it a couple ways, but I like it better in the centerdent. I've had this Hollywood flip in the brim for awhile.

Squatter_HW_flip_2-1.jpg

IMG_3458-2.jpg

Neophyte

Very nice. Like the Hollywood treatment. I wish I wasn't so pale, or I'd snap up that Moonstone.

I wish I had a unique liner, or at least not the standard white one.

Neophyte said:
I'm smiling in my Squatter.
SquatterBackyard.jpg

The green of the hat, rich in person, just does not want to show itself in my photos, it comes off kinda grey...

On my computer it shows as a deeper grey green color and looks superb. I got the Moonstone and was very happy - until I saw this picture.

Neophyte

Thank you for the compliment. This picture is actually quite accurate to the real color, now that I look at it again.
I would say the same about your moonstone, but alas, bright grey just doesn't look good on me.

In the future, I think I'll have:
1 willow green Squatter
1 Mid-Fawn Squatter
1 Carbon Grey Squatter
1 Black Squatter

As a cold, logical, and eccentric utilitarian 19yr.od. college student, I must find something stylish, comfortable, and protective against the elements. The Akubra Squatter, with it's very slight taper and somewhat bulbous crown, suits my needs perfectly, to the point that I honestly can't really see myself in any fedora with a brim under 2.75". Plus, with all that brim and crown, the possibilities for modification are numerous.

Neophyte

Classified00 said:
I declare you're new nickname to be "Dances with Squatters" ;)

Hold onto that, it's a good one.

But I've only the green Squatter as of now, so I'm not qualified for any kind of title yet.

Neophyte

Neophyte said:
The Akubra Squatter, with it's very slight taper and somewhat bulbous crown, suits my needs perfectly, to the point that I honestly can't really see myself in any fedora with a brim under 2.75". Plus, with all that brim and crown, the possibilities for modification are numerous.

I honestly can't believe I said this...soon after I trimmed the brim to around 2.375"...guess I actually could see myself in a smaller brim.

I purchased an Akubra Campdraft, which will replace the Squatter as my designated cold/rain/sunshine weather hat. The Squatter has taken the FedIV and Fedora's place as my designated daily go-to hat.

The Squatter is still my favorite hat right now. The round crown, little taper, and beautiful color make it truly an awesome hat. Now that I've trimmed it, it's become a bonafide fedora. I think my next hat after the Campdraft will be either a Black or Carbon Grey Squatter.

daddydg

New in Town
Squatter v Campdraft

Has anyone trimmed the brim of a Campdraft? How does the shape of the Squatter's crown compare to the crown of a Campdraft (according to EA they are the same height)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland