Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Archers: Powell and Pressburger

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure I'm not the only Lounger who is a big fan of the great Michael Powell and his longtime partner Emeric Pressburger, so I thought a thread devoted to them was in order.

And to begin, I'll pass on this good news:

Turner Classic Movies is showing Powell/Pressburger movies all day on Tuesday, June 9. Here's the lineup (all times eastern):

6:00am -- I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING
7:45am -- THE EDGE OF THE WORLD
9:00am -- A CANTERBURY TALE
11:15am -- NIGHT AMBUSH (aka ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT)
1:00pm -- A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH
3:00pm -- THE TALES OF HOFFMAN
5:15pm -- THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP

I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING is one of my favorite movies, but then so are A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH and THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP.

Set those DVRs and VCRs, friends.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I've said here before, I love their movies!

A Matter of Life and Death/Stairway To Heaven is a lifelong personal fave, but Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes are right up there too. Colonel Blimp is utterly fascinating. I Know Where I'm Going! is delightful. Forty-Ninth Parallel is an oddly mixed bag, but unique in so many ways. And Tales of Hoffmann is surely the most jaw-droppingly trippy movie made in the years between Fantasia and 2001!

I taped three that I hadn't yet seen during this TCM showing. I'm saving them for the right moment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails