Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Apparel Critique

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
In my fiction writing classes, the core around which the class is constructed is the critique. You can only make sense of a limited amount of theory. It's when you put it into practice that you need continuous input and, well, critiques, from your peers to get better.

I'd like to apply this to what we're trying to do here on the FL. Since the vintage-styled garments are easier to come by than the real thing in my small, midwestern existence, I'm trying to get something that gets close to the golden era look, but with garments of more modern manufacture. (Besides, it's not hard to get a Golden Era look with garments that were actually made during the Golden Era ;)) I'd like your critique of today's ensemble:

DSC_0979.jpg

Except for the hat and short-sleeved shirt, all are thrift store acquisitions. In the store, the Italian windowpane jacket seemed to have a more classic look than their other offerings. The pants are high-waisted and pleated (alas, no suspender buttons, but those are going on soon).

If anyone else is willing to let the Golden Era experts have a go, please put up your own attempts at Golden Era style with pieces of more modern manufacture so I don't feel all by myself in front of everyone. ;)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The main thing I'd critique is the jacket fit. Looks to me like the chest or shoulders are a bit too small, perhaps not broad enough across the back. I'd guess that's why the lapels are bulging outwards from your chest. Also, the gorge and button stance are quite low.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
Agreed. I'd also wonder if the sleeves on the jacket could be taken up a bit more. If you were wearing a long-sleeved shirt, I doubt there'd be enough cuff showing based on this photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany