Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The B-3 appreciation society …

H.Johnson

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
And an Eastman D-1, just for variety

DSCN3837.jpg

Nice. Coincidentally, I am making a D-1 in 'red-skin' sheepskin at the moment (a '37 pattern). It's stalled in the late stages at the moment as I have run out of sheepskin.

I hope it turns out half as nice as that one. It will sure be cheaper! So far the zippers (from Mash) are the only real expense (a friend who makes dog collars donated the collar strap).

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
RMNZ Monotone 44R

Here's my RMNZ which I bought from John Lever late last year. Sadly it is a true 44R and I'm a 46/48 and as I've have been unable to remove the necessary weight to get this to fit properly, it's going on Ebay later this week.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Tis true, they are a beautiful jacket. It is a clone of an original.

b-3a.jpg

b-3b.jpg

b-3c.jpg

Dave

H.Johnson

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
Nice. Coincidentally, I am making a D-1 in 'red-skin' sheepskin at the moment (a '37 pattern). It's stalled in the late stages at the moment as I have run out of sheepskin.

I hope it turns out half as nice as that one. It will sure be cheaper! So far the zippers (from Mash) are the only real expense (a friend who makes dog collars donated the collar strap).

Fishmeok,

Would you do me a favour, please?

As mentioned above I am in the final stages of making a 'redskin' D-1 from scratch and I'm having difficulty with the collar points. Could you have a look at your ELC D-1 collar and tell me how the points are formed? I made a B-3 some time ago and had no problem, but the D-1 collar is more acute and I can't get the edges to fold and meet properly. Does it look to you as if the points are pinched and hand-stitched before the edges are machined?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ELC REDSKIN B-3

Here are some pictures of my mint size 42 ELC RW "redskin" B-3 which is currently for sale. It has the new ELC Crown zipper.

001-19.jpg

003-24.jpg

005-22.jpg

006-24.jpg

008-27.jpg

009-29.jpg

010-27.jpg

012-27.jpg

013-30.jpg

surdanis

New in Town
I'll let you know...

I finally took the plunge and ordered the Eastman USAAF Type B-3 (the original one with the dark brown leather). I've read nothing but rave reviews about their Irvings, and I thought I'd see how they did on the American counterpart.

When it arrives, I'll be happy to post pics and a "review" for anyone interested... Will go well with some turtlenecks I've got lying around. And a pair of aviators.

fraazierjo

New in Town
B3"s

All of the above - nicely made, shiny repros - but why? As long as genuine vintage B3's off the backs of the guys who actually flew in them and wore them to perfection, I prefer the really "broken in" real ones! Glad you all like them though.

surdanis

New in Town
NO word yet...

So I ordered a B-3 from ELC and they haven't sent me a confirmation of shipping or anything. I tried calling, but haven't been able to reach anyone yet. I have sent several emails already. They haven't even charged my account yet. Anyone ever had this problem before?

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
It took about 4 weeks for Eastman to ship my B-3 jacket from the time I ordered it. It did take a while for Gary or Rob to respond to e-mails but they did reply to my e-mails within a few days.

Don't throw in the towel yet...

Noel

stillwell

New in Town
I'm looking at replacing the cuffs on an original B-3 I own and I was wondering whether the leather is curved or straight?

also, does anyone know how to soften the leather? it's a bit stiff

surdanis

New in Town
Just got my ELC, and it's an awesome piece. Perfect size. Breaking it in as we speak. Can't wait for the colder weather! I can post pics if anyone wants to see.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
stillwell said:
I'm looking at replacing the cuffs on an original B-3 I own and I was wondering whether the leather is curved or straight?

also, does anyone know how to soften the leather? it's a bit stiff

I have replaced the cuffs on several B-3s. The original leather is a straight rectangular strip. So if you copy it you should be ok.

surdanis

New in Town
kampkatz said:
Photos are always welcomed here. Please post.

elc1.jpg
elc4.jpg
elc2.jpg
elc3.jpg

Preface: I am a U.S. Marine. I am not an expert on B-3's, and this is my first.

Decent pics taken from my Droid. Not sure if the white edge in the material is authentic repro detailing or not. Looks unfinished, but I am not too worried. Note the density of the fleece.

And about the fleece... Now, I've test driven the jacket wearing The Submariner jumper by North Sea Clothing (which is one of the best quality sweaters I've ever owned) with a thermal shirt underneath. (Not recommended by obese individuals, due to its slim fit) The fit with all layers is perfect, despite the obvious thickness of the sweater. However, I did note that the fleece did shed a bit onto the sweater, which is acceptable, but makes me concerned about how long the lining will last. I have a shearling coat (similar to the one worn by Matthew McConnaughey in "U-571") which seems to have a better quality fleece. Temps were 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit. It's on the upper edge of "cold", and I did not sweat with all this on.

The sleeves of the jacket still need to be broken in, as they are a bit stiff when I roll around town in the Pontiac. The look is complete with deerskin driving cap by Orvis. Sharp.

I am particularly taken by all the fine level of detailing in the garment. The use of several types of leather is actually great eye candy while being functional in its own right. I especially like the collar snaps, which allow it be buttoned down into place. Neat feature that. I actually chose this over the Irvin because of the collar (though I do prefer the Irvin's notched one), which has two long throat latches. Love it!

Now, the only qualms I have... First, the white, plastic-looking edge that is visible in the cuff, on the waist, and along the zipper edge. As stated, it looks unfinished. Can anyone confirm having this on their ELC? Is this authentic? Also, the zipper, while Crown, feels somewhat flimsy. It seems to buckle a bit too much, but zips up fine--though not as smooth or robust as I might like. Then there is the left cuff, which, as noted in the pic, folds inward at the seam. Here the material actually digs into the inside of my wrist. Mildly annoying.

Reminds me of a pair of Danners I had, which are generally great for forced marches. The right boot's heel dug into my foot after several miles. I kept the boots, but wore thick socks to minimize damage. I wound up with a red and bleeding sore after each march! I still have them. Stubborn like that.

Overall, great buy. Seems worth the wait and the expense--even for import in the States. The package came in a large cardboard box with ELC branding. The jacket comes complete with a DVD and a "vintage" item tag (which I am keeping!). Haven't looked at the DVD contents, but it appears it's titled "The Airman's Guide to World War II Flight Jackets" and is produced by ELC. I will provide more info on the DVD if anyone is interested. It says "RESTRICTED". Very amused.

NOTE: Jacket is 42. I am 67 inches with 40 inch chest.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You know, I really like the look of the B-3, but I have several questions about it before considering a potential purchase in my future.

Is it sturdy in the cold weather elements, such as heavy snow and rain? Is it warm in conditions below 20 degrees? Or for that matter, can it be worn in weather between 40 to 60 degrees comfortably, or will it be excessively... warm? Overall, would you recommend one for a southern Californian like me, or should I just stick with a G-1?

Thank you, gentlemen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24