Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The beard

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Matt, you've made a good start IMHO. You do need a good month to grow your beard. By then you can make up your mind if you like it. It should also give you time to get past the "itch" factor. Wearing a beard is, in a way, like wearing a fedora or glasses. It changes your look and it takes some time to get used to it. IMHO beards always go well with fedoras. Beards are OK in any season. Warm in winter and cool in summer.
Disclaimer: As a long time full-bearded guy, :D I'm partial to wearing a beard!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I am not sure about beards and fedoras. I think beards go best with hats associated with time periods in which beards were worn. I like wearing a homburg or tweed flat cap with a beard. Boaters also look spectacular with beards.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
Boaters also look spectacular with beards.

Hmmm....

beardcopy.jpg

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Rafter said:
Matt are you aware of the "4 week rule"?

You've got to give it at least four weeks before you decide to put the blade to your face. No trimming at all for 4 weeks. None. Not a hair. You have to let it grow out on it's own, get fuller and shape itself before taking a blade to something you don't understand quite yet. Only then will you know for sure if if it's a look that you want to keep for a while.

Don't allow yourself or others to pass judgment on your beard until the 4 weeks are over. It's going to be tough. But hang in there.

That is what I did and my beard looked pretty much like Matt's does after the first week. 3 weeks later and I was a different person.

+professional beard trimmings at a good barber is just fun.

I got this thickness after maybe 6 weeks:
ties6.jpg

So, basically, Matt, you can't really make any decisions until that month is passed.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Why don't you try first?

If you're into photoshopping, you might isolate the pics from their white backgrounds and paste them on a frontal cleanshaven picture of yours. (If you do, please post the results to further our edification, willya? :) Poll?)

Teacher

Familiar Face
Baron Kurtz said:
50s Shuron Ronsir.

Still in production. $100 or so for the frames through your local optician.

bk

Excellent. I'm about due for another pair, and (despite my wife's strong misgivings) I'm very, very tempted to go that route. I do likes me them frames!

moustache

Practically Family
Doran said:
Keep it until you get bored, then goatee it for a 24-hour period, then shave it off unless you decide otherwise. If you get truly inspired, grow the moustache long and wax and curl it ... I don't see enough people doing that here, and that's a damn shame as looks brilliant.

Ahh yes.More facial hair needed in the Lounge!!!Men grow hair on their faces for a reason!!Because they can :-})

But then i'm a bit biased.And my wife loves it so not all ladies dislike the fuzzy faces :p :p

JD

moustache

Practically Family
chucklehead said:
as someone who has had a beard for 14 years, I would say keep it. :cool2:

And your beard looks great Cliff!!!Keep a growing!
Men DID have facial hair from 1925 to 1945!!!
Not all faces were scraped baby bottom smooth.

Good for you!

JD

I'd say give the 4-6 weeks at least, actually more time maybe. Figure September and you can make a reasonable assesment.

Give us a weekly pictoral update.

Don't forget you can make it fill in and grow faster by looking in the bathroom mirror and gritting your teeth hard.

moustache

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
I'd say give the 4-6 weeks at least, actually more time maybe. Figure September and you can make a reasonable assesment.

Give us a weekly pictoral update.

Don't forget you can make it fill in and grow faster by looking in the bathroom mirror and gritting your teeth hard.

And by taking multi vitamin B!!!
Helps hair growth and folicle strength.Worked for me lol :p

JD

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Me, I have a problem with keeping those "little tiny hairs growin' out my face" at bay. But it makes it easier to trim it up into any shape I think of. Even if it's a little Depp job.
IM000030.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

coble

A-List Customer
i say keep it up, its looking good. I'm growing my beard like tsar Nicholas 2 of Russia. Beards have been connected with hats for a long long time, and do what makes you happy, its nice to have a change. Keep it up.

Edward

Bartender
Looking good!

Just a thought:
How come that every time a man grows a beard/moustache his face becomes public area. Everybody - especially women - feels like commenting on it.
Would you - as a man - do the same to a woman colleague if she - let's say - had a new hairstyle ora new haircolor?
"Hey I liked you better with the old hairstyle!"
Or
"Hey I dont like red hair...!!!"
:eek:

Ha, fair point.... I can only assume it's because facial hair is comparatively rare nowadays.

I've long suspected that if you compared the incidence of beards against advances in shaving technology, you'd notice a certain relationship appearing. I've never been inclined to have a beard (My dad always has had one all my life, and I suspect on some subconscious level I'm asserting my own identity by not going down the facial hair route, much as he probably did in his day by growing one), but if the only alternative was a straight razor shave....

50s Shuron Ronsir.

Still in production. $100 or so for the frames through your local optician.

bk

That's what I wear - the modern production Ronsir. Highly recommend them.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
287101_10152089140255077_724282531_o.jpg

I sometimes keep a beard, but not usually this full. I've been growing this for a couple months now in preparation for a role in an upcoming short film currently in production. The above photo is from wardrobe tests we shot for the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland