Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Beefsteak Party: Meat for Meat's Sake

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had indeed read about this ritual in the wonderful Joseph Mitchell book you referenced, Up In The Old Hotel, a few years ago. As for the animal rights guy, what a donkey he is. Should there be NO rituals in ANY culture that are all male? (I tried to post a comment to that effect, but it wanted my blogger name, which I have forgotten.)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm not much on all-male rituals. Women these days provide more leavening than fuss. But I don't think steak is at its best when sublimated amongst a lot of side dishes. Call me an unregenerate Midwestern carnivore, I suppose.

The Eastern beefsteak may be about gluttony, but in the hands of a little more cosmopolitan crowd, it could be about abundance and sensualism.

I'd like to see it minimalist, primal, but coed, with regional and class associations effaced. Many kinds of people, happily stuffing themselves.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Beef

Nowadays these are held at Halls and catered in by the few who do cook real Beefsteak. Firemen or Cops may do there own. I have never really seen or heard of a Beefsteak at a Steakhouse.

T

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Tony, it's tenderloin that is the traditional cut, right? Is it cooked juicy or dried out? Seems like the butter sauce woudln't be necessary if the meat weren't overdone.

Lobster isn't dried out but you add butter to it.

Get away from utilitarianism for a while, surrender to the buttery goodness. :D

tonyper

Familiar Face
Juicy

Fletch, The meat is cooked to perfection, not dry at all. never had more tender steak. The butter is to make it slide down I guess ^_^. I think the butter came about as each slice of meat is served on bread and the whole thing gets nice and buttery. One can never go wrong with alot of butter !!!!!!!!

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou