Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Looking 1950s Field Cap

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Functionality aside, which of the following 1950s field cap do you prefer for the looks?

Swedish M59 (Cotton)

Finnish M54 (Wool)

United States Ridgeway Field Cap (Cotton)

United States M-1951 Field Cap (Cotton)
79458a5c0.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The M1951. I wore an olive drab BDU cap as my everyday cap back in high school and early college. Very comfortable, functional item, and classic looking as well. It's a shame the modern army has gone away from it in favor of those hideous, un-American berets.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
The M1951. I wore an olive drab BDU cap as my everyday cap back in high school and early college. Very comfortable, functional item, and classic looking as well. It's a shame the modern army has gone away from it in favor of those hideous, un-American berets.

Apparently, most soldiers agreed with you. The Army has designated the patrol cap as the default headgear for the ACU uniform.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/outside-the-wire/2011/06/16/bye-bye-beret/

Yeah, those berets always looked all-wrong to me as well. Thing is, most berets are okay by me, not that I wear 'em myself. (Some people can pull off the look; I ain't one of those people.) But I've yet to see anyone whose appearance was enhanced by those U.S. Army issue jobs.

I vote the M-1951.

Apparently, most soldiers agreed with you. The Army has designated the patrol cap as the default headgear for the ACU uniform.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/outside-the-wire/2011/06/16/bye-bye-beret/

Based on the pic it looks like Airborne, Rangers and Special Forces will retain the beret and perhaps the Rangers will get their black beret back. But if the beret is being phased out, what will be the headgear worn with the Service Dress? Or is the beret merely being phased out for wear with the ACU?

PRTblog0041.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Based on the pic it looks like Airborne, Rangers and Special Forces will retain the beret and perhaps the Rangers will get their black beret back. But if the beret is being phased out, what will be the headgear worn with the Service Dress? Or is the beret merely being phased out for wear with the ACU?

PRTblog0041.jpg

The beret is being retained for the Service Dress Uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda