Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the big 46 , is that all there is. 59lark

59Lark

Practically Family
i have lamented my share of passings and special days here before, here my 46 birthday has come and is ending. the biggest thing my 85 year old mother said is you know your dad died at about your age. you have gotta start taking better care of your self. i have come to a kind of crossroad in my life and i find my self not entirely happy with the results so far. not to say that i dont love my wife that love has matured and become second nature, not to say that i dont love my children, they are my whole life and the reason for doing the twelve hours a day and putting up with baloney. i have decided that i need to walk more, ie burn off the fat, i need to be more aggrasive with the business, and really start to fire up more irons in the fire. all of us have a tendency to take the easy road and coast, the older and tired more the more one wants to coast. i need to clean my basement, two hundred sewing machines take up a lot of room, i need to clean my cutting table off, and i need to fix my walking foot commercial sewing machine and i need to clean my hat cleaning table and equipment up and i need to start making or doing something with all that equipment . yes i need a extreme makeover but ty is not expected. please all you nice people forgive me for this rant, but the ocassion of my 46 birthday has this result for me. for all you people who have a nice stress free life well organized and efficent. you dont have kids do you 59lark:eek:fftopic:

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Make it a happy birthday before you go to bed....

Dear 59L: Congratulations! For our birthday is the day we celebrate ourselves, and thank the good Lord, if we're that sort of person, for the very gift of life itself. Before you go to bed tonight, I hope you'll take stock not only of the things you'd like to change, but the things you are grateful for and happy about in your life.

All of the things you mention as things you would like to change in your life seem like good ones! Good for you. Now to go about doing them: one at a time. Choose one: try your best. When you finish it...if it's something finite, like...clean the basement...be happy with what you've done, choose another goal, and do it.

Every stage of life has its troubles and its joys. There will never be a time when we are exactly where we'd like to be...if we are truthful with ourselves, and you seem to be. The trick is to be aware of what might be improved, without becoming discouraged, and to be happy and grateful for what we have achieved, without becoming complacent.

Be grateful for every day you are given....and especially for your birthday. There is no one else in the world who is exactly who you are; and, if you're that kind of a person--I am--I believe there is a purpose for you're being here, a job that only you can do, and it was planned long before you were born, 46 years ago.

You'll be in my prayers as you start your 47th year...and the mere fact that you are beginning that 47th year already answers your question: No, that's NOT all there is!

Sincerely,
"Skeet"

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Happy birthday to you, 59Lark! And congratulations for setting goals for yourself.

It sounds to me like you've achieved quite a lot in a short time. You have wonderful children, a life's companion, and (hopefully) your health! It's never too late to make improvements, though, and there are always more to be made. Skeet McD is right, tackle one at a time, and feel satisfied with your progress. The more you accomplish, the more you will want to do - and the more optimistic you will be.

Your dad's death at your age is what is setting your perspective, isn't it? I'm sorry he passed away at such a young age. But there's a bright side: Your mum is 85, and there is no reason why you shouldn't live to her age - or beyond!

I'm not religious, so I'll leave you with some wisdom from Red Green:
"I'm a man
And I can change
If I have to
I guess."

And of course, as he always said, "Keep your stick on the ice." :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24