Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
No, I don't agree, the catalog states that. Maybe because I ask another question - or ask in a different way. If the designation - the word between the quotes - should refer to the content, I would expect some word for "rabbit", when the content is rabbit. That is not the case.

To feel confident, using the "beaver-rule" on other rodents, it should at least work on the one other rodent, where we can compare, what the catalog says - the rabbit. When it doesn't work for that, I can not consider it a rule - and I wouldn't feel safe, using it on other rodent-names.

Thanks for the discussion and examples. To my eye, the animal designations were chosen to suggest that the felt quality is associated with specialty fur content. Interesting that nutria is missing from the printed pamphlet, though rabbit is mentioned freely. Whether these furs were actually used (and to what percentage) in making the felt I expect we'll never know. I'm not sure about antelope, but I would agree with the guess that kittens were used in name only.

I wonder if the mention of gift in the brochure had more to do with customs than with present giving?

Thanks for the discussion and examples. To my eye, the animal designations were chosen to suggest that the felt quality is associated with specialty fur content. Interesting that nutria is missing from the printed pamphlet, though rabbit is mentioned freely. Whether these furs were actually used (and to what percentage) in making the felt I expect we'll never know. I'm not sure about antelope, but I would agree with the guess that kittens were used in name only.

I wonder if the mention of gift in the brochure had more to do with customs than with present giving?

I know Antelope is used by German and Austrian companies as a finish (you see it on sweats and liners). Biber is used for Beaver felt content (you see it on sweats and liners).

I am fairly positive "Castoro" is used for Beaver felt content. I have no idea about "Lontra".

Yes you are correct about the shop marking the shipment as gift to avoid custom duties. I was too fixated on the box.

The Borsalino Mysteries! :)

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Buckskin is made from a South African species of antelope. The term "antelope finish" would make sense, then, as a simile for a short-nepped suede-like finish.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Here is a beaver finished Italian made hat currently running on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221432904882?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If you are unclear on finishes Rand and Reynolds talk about them in THE COWBOY HAT BOOK, pages 26 and 27. They list a few like these:
Silk
beaver
velour
suede
sponge
scratch
Although it should go with out saying(though rarely does around here) every manufacturer/hatter has their own take on hat finishes and how to achieve them.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I started a thread years ago with that very article. I sought and was granted permission from the publisher to quote that material. They asked me send them a link after I posted it. They were very impressed with this forum. Snyder also quoted Rand and Reynolds in his book STETSON HATS. I have yet to find any book written on any subject that is without some flawed thinking(or photos). They do the best they can it the time it's written. I still find both of these books to be a wealth of knowledge, and I recommend both.

Last edited:

Kevlar

New in Town
Wearing a Borsalino Film today that I inherited from my Dad. Black, which was his favorite hat color. Size-wise it fits; style-wise it's a tad large for my face and frame.

But it was his and I will wear it.

With Borsalino it's hard to say. I don't have any (most of mine are Borsalinos made for German market) that go back prior to the 1950s maybe late 40s. Most of my pre WWII Borsalinos either don't have liners (only tip patch) or are stiff felts (Bombetta). One soft felt that does have a liner doesn't have a onion skin protector.

Last edited:
My examples are almost entirely postwar. Borsalino appears to have used a number of materials as crown liner protection from 1950 -1970 and also produced hats during this period without a protective layer. A few variations are shown below. The paper material was likely removed by some purchasers. A clear window would not be achieved by evaluating this feature alone.

newfeather3.jpg

ipersca6.jpg

cutborso3.jpg

box_borso5.jpg

Huertecilla

Banned
Thanks for the info.
Is there a Borsalino dating ´guide´ like for the Cavanagh et al?

I am courting a hat I find very attractively shaped with a distinct high straigh top and that does not conform with my perception of fifties+ for the liner cover.
It also has a 2,5 cm. ribbon.

Not that it matters as I will try buy it anyway because I líke it, but that does not stop one wonder, being interested.

BEAÚTIFULL hat box btw! Alan.

Thanks for the info.
Is there a Borsalino dating ´guide´ like for the Cavanagh et al?...

Unfortunately, no. Style and finish are not a very reliable gauge. Borsalino made a huge array of styles and the finishing and construction elements came and went and came again. The manufacturing tag behind the sweatband is probably the most useful element for ascertaining a timeline window, though there are mysteries there as well. The fact that Borsalino hats exhibited wonderful qualities (that we would associate with earlier eras) into the 1970s only adds to the confusion, but in a good way.

In the U.S., we see very few pre-war Borsalinos. Most that are identified as such are incorrectly dated. In Europe, the stock may be very different, as evidenced by the Bulgarian crop that continues to be offered on eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy