Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

I think it's from about the same time as the other but just another Borsalino label quirk (possibly reworked by Borsalino?). They both are interesting production wise. Is there any mention of Borsalino on the sweatbands?
Steve, thanks. There is. Couldn't post that many pictures at the same time so left them out. Here they are. Left one is the Averla and the other one the Stibina. No difference there.

borsalino averla assab_08.jpg
borsalino stibina 58_11.jpg

They seem to be almost the same hat apart from the crown patch. The felt is very similar too, but certainly not the best Borsalino has ever produced. Still, they have a nice shape and are well made. Can't have a winner every time I guess. Speaking of which: I have not posted this one before:

Borsalino suprema in Dattero colour. Size 4 but I know has been modified somwhere along the way, because it no longer has its original sweatband. It now has a sweatband by Hut Müller, who probably did the change (and very well too). Triple stitched brim at 6,5 cm and crown at 10,5 cm. Very simple ribbon. Incredible thin felt and probably the lightest hat I have at 75 grams. A masterpiece.

borsalino suprema dattero_1.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_2.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_3.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_4.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_5.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_6.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_7.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_8.jpg
borsalino suprema dattero_9.jpg

KarlCrow

One Too Many
They seem to be almost the same hat apart from the crown patch. The felt is very similar too, but certainly not the best Borsalino has ever produced. Still, they have a nice shape and are well made. Can't have a winner every time I guess. Speaking of which: I have not posted this one before:

Borsalino suprema in Dattero colour. Size 4 but I know has been modified somwhere along the way, because it no longer has its original sweatband. It now has a sweatband by Hut Müller, who probably did the change (and very well too). Triple stitched brim at 6,5 cm and crown at 10,5 cm. Very simple ribbon. Incredible thin felt and probably the lightest hat I have at 75 grams. A masterpiece.

View attachment 75683 View attachment 75684 View attachment 75685 View attachment 75686 View attachment 75687 View attachment 75688 View attachment 75689 View attachment 75690 View attachment 75691
beautiful hat

Here's something else to make you smile (besides nice sunny weather). Borsalino homburg in grey, size 56, Gulaela on the label. Brim at 6cm and crown at 10cm. Picked this one up in Rome. Bit of a funny story because while rummaging through the hats I picked up this borsalino fedora with the bound brim in a right state. Still: it was a borsalino and I could always steam it back to a presentable form again, right? After a good couple of minutes I realised I was looking at it all wrong, shaped it a little and voilá: I had this homburg in my hands. Seems like someone had been trying to force it into a fedora shape. It does have some moth nibbles here and there (and everywhere), the foil over the liner is damaged and the brim binding has some damage too, but at 20 euros it was still coming with me.

borsalino gulaela_01.jpg
borsalino gulaela_02.jpg
borsalino gulaela_03.jpg
borsalino gulaela_04.jpg
borsalino gulaela_05.jpg
borsalino gulaela_06.jpg
borsalino gulaela_07.jpg
borsalino gulaela_08.jpg
borsalino gulaela_09.jpg
borsalino gulaela_10.jpg

no you couldn't leave that there for €20. If you hadn't, the next time you paid €20 to sip a glass of Chateau Ordinary outside some overpriced café you'd feel a right idiot.
My thoughts exactly. Someone who knows what they're doing could even bring it to life again. Sanding out the moth bites and change the brim binding and ribbon and you'd have a good as new hat.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Interesting! Is it the "grey-Borsalino-Homburg-for-20€-month"?
Exactly the price I payed for the one showed above! You can not pass these deals ;)

Here's something else to make you smile (besides nice sunny weather). Borsalino homburg in grey, size 56, Gulaela on the label. Brim at 6cm and crown at 10cm. Picked this one up in Rome. Bit of a funny story because while rummaging through the hats I picked up this borsalino fedora with the bound brim in a right state. Still: it was a borsalino and I could always steam it back to a presentable form again, right? After a good couple of minutes I realised I was looking at it all wrong, shaped it a little and voilá: I had this homburg in my hands. Seems like someone had been trying to force it into a fedora shape. It does have some moth nibbles here and there (and everywhere), the foil over the liner is damaged and the brim binding has some damage too, but at 20 euros it was still coming with me.

View attachment 75792 View attachment 75793 View attachment 75794 View attachment 75795 View attachment 75796 View attachment 75797 View attachment 75798 View attachment 75799 View attachment 75800 View attachment 75801
Yummy, don't know how I missed this one from last week. I absolutely love this dress felt, perfect in every way! Will you be my personal shopper?

luxmatic

New in Town
Hello everyone, I just rescued this Fawn Borsa Alessandria from a vintage shop in Toronto the other day (on a display with another hat on top of it, very misshapen and rather dirty) and brought it home to Vancouver! I did my best to put the diamond crease I like on it, and gently steamed it to get it to retain the shape better.

Can anyone help identify it's vintage from these clues? I found 2 folded papers under the brim. One of the papers is an envelope with 4¢ postage and a 3-V-66 postage date. Of course, it's possible that spacer was added by later owner, and the hat itself could be older. I think unlikely the hat is any newer than the envelope, at any rate.

Unfortunately the brim band was removed at some point, so I am looking into having the brim restored. Beside that I don't mind it looking well worn and a bit dirty, as it will be a casual wearer, unlike my pristine early 50s Borsa which I feel I can only wear on more special occasions.

I've been hoping to find a Fawn hat for a while, and I almost ordered a Stratoliner in Fawn the last time I was in Seattle, so this is a very welcome addition for me! borsa 3 quarter copy.jpg borsa front copy.jpg borsa side copy.jpg borsa paper tag.jpg borsa marque copy.jpg borsa band stamp copy.jpg envelope copy.jpg

I
Hello everyone, I just rescued this Fawn Borsa Alessandria from a vintage shop in Toronto the other day (on a display with another hat on top of it, very misshapen and rather dirty) and brought it home to Vancouver! I did my best to put the diamond crease I like on it, and gently steamed it to get it to retain the shape better.

Can anyone help identify it's vintage from these clues? I found 2 folded papers under the brim. One of the papers is an envelope with 4¢ postage and a 3-V-66 postage date. Of course, it's possible that spacer was added by later owner, and the hat itself could be older. I think unlikely the hat is any newer than the envelope, at any rate.

Unfortunately the brim band was removed at some point, so I am looking into having the brim restored. Beside that I don't mind it looking well worn and a bit dirty, as it will be a casual wearer, unlike my pristine early 50s Borsa which I feel I can only wear on more special occasions.

I've been hoping to find a Fawn hat for a while, and I almost ordered a Stratoliner in Fawn the last time I was in Seattle, so this is a very welcome addition for me! View attachment 77142 View attachment 77143 View attachment 77144 View attachment 77145 View attachment 77146 View attachment 77147 View attachment 77148
I use mike @Northwest Hats in Eugene for refurb of my hats. Great work reaaly well priced. If you mail from Blaine it cost $7 or so to Eugene. Granville island hats will do it but are very pricey.

luxmatic

New in Town
It appears that Canada postage for one ounce went from two cents to four cents in 1951. Based on the manufacturing label, I think this is a good vintage estimate for your hat. Nice find!
You know, the postage clue is a bit confusing, because yes, one ounce postage went up from 4¢ to 5¢ in the mid 50's then stayed that rate until the late 60's, but the postage machine date marker is clearly from 1966..
However, it's I think it's very unlikely the original owner of the hat would have put spacers under the brim to size it down, so to me that indicates an original purchase prior to the date of the postage stamp.
Question: are you referring to the paper tag when you say manufacturing label? What are the indicators that suggest an early 50's manufacture?
Thanks so much for replying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21