Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is a new arrival. Aside from the size and the 2” wide brim, this is a glorious hat.
Yes it is a glorious hat :)
It came from the thirties and it is a Misto
The not so good ribbon is common in that lot of Borsalino. I have a very similar one (also Misto) with the same color ribbon which has the same defects
Brent complimenti, un gran bel cappello!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
My first submission to the Borsalino Brotherhood is one some of you have seen on other threads this last week. I’m still sorting out the best method for displaying hats on threads beyond “WHAYWT.” I need better lighting, but this will suffice for my first attempt.

Boasting a 2-7/16 inch brim (not counting the curl) and 5-1/2 inch open crown, this model is called ‘Mulasca’ and the color is ‘amiata’.

Six-point crease.

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_9972.jpeg

My first submission to the Borsalino Brotherhood is one some of you have seen on other threads this last week. I’m still sorting out the best method for displaying hats on threads beyond “WHAYWT.” I need better lighting, but this will suffice for my first attempt.

Boasting a 2-7/16 inch brim (not counting the curl) and 5-1/2 inch open crown, this model is called ‘Mulasca’ and the color is ‘amiata’.

Six-point crease.

View attachment 584628
View attachment 584629
View attachment 584630
View attachment 584631
View attachment 584632
View attachment 584636
May there be many more!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Borsalino travel hat with a 2-5/8 inch brim and 5-1/2 inch crown.

The recent conversation here about the rollable Borsas has inspired me to post this and report on my experience with it.

I bought this beautiful hat back in 2018 and took him on a trip with me around the world in 2019. I took him in the coffin box and the hat was unrolled and rerolled tens of times, easily - I’d estimate maybe close to thirty times (I was gone for 1.5 years on that trip).

The hat showed ZERO signs of degradation from the rolling. In fact, the sweatband, felt and even the coffin box today are almost in exactly the same condition as when I purchased it (I say almost because it suffered some slight damage on the last leg of the trip that caused me to retire him; however, that’s a different story and has nothing to do with the quality of the hat).

What I think is important and anyone who has one of these hats knows: the hat is made not only to “roll” but literally to fold in half. Both the felt and the sweatband have creases where it gets folded the same place every time and then rolled up - the creases are prominent in the photos (I actually circled the sweatband crease in one photo).

@DonR, looking at the photos of your Borsa that came with the coffin box, I don’t see a crease in the felt of your hat. In other words, judging only from the photos, I’d say your hat is not meant to roll.

Anyway, this hat is amazing. He pops out of the box and is ready to wear in probably one minute. The felt is super unique and does anything I want without needing steam (steam definitely helps but isn’t necessary - the photos are of an unsteamed hat). I’d honestly say he’s one of the best hats in my collection as well as being one of the most comfortable. And to be clear, this is a substantial felt: I would not wear him in the winter months in North Dakota, but he worked very well for me in the wintertime in Melbourne, Australia (with evening temps consistently hovering just above freezing). As for sky juice, I have never had him out in anything more than a slight sprinkle, so I can’t say about that.

Importantly, he got a lot of compliments underway from people who had no idea that he rolls up. Strangers literally stopped me and complimented the hat. In other words, he’s quite attractive and far from just gimmicky.

I have a second one of these but it’s in storage and not as impressive as a hat - though the mechanics are just as terrific. I’ll try to post it in the next few days.

Thanks for reading. Sorry to write a novel but I feel it’s worth reporting how exceptional and durable this hat is precisely as a travel companion that can be rolled and unrolled over and over and over again. Like I say, I literally did exactly that for a year and a half straight. If you travel often and ever get a chance to purchase one of these, I’d jump on it. I paid $125 for mine in 2018 and feel like that price was more than fair.

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0136.jpeg

IMG_9864.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

The recent conversation here about the rollable Borsas has inspired me to post this and report on my experience with it.

I bought this beautiful hat back in 2018 and took him on a trip with me around the world in 2019. I took him in the coffin box and the hat was unrolled and rerolled tens of times, easily - I’d estimate maybe close to thirty times (I was gone for 1.5 years on that trip).

The hat showed ZERO signs of degradation from the rolling. In fact, the sweatband, felt and even the coffin box today are almost in exactly the same condition as when I purchased it (I say almost because it suffered some slight damage on the last leg of the trip that caused me to retire him; however, that’s a different story and has nothing to do with the quality of the hat).

What I think is important and anyone who has one of these hats knows: the hat is made not only to “roll” but literally to fold in half. Both the felt and the sweatband have creases where it gets folded the same place every time and then rolled up - the creases are prominent in the photos (I actually circled the sweatband crease in one photo).

@DonR, looking at the photos of your Borsa that came with the coffin box, I don’t see a crease in the felt of your hat. In other words, judging only from the photos, I’d say your hat is not meant to roll.

Anyway, this hat is amazing. He pops out of the box and is ready to wear in probably one minute. The felt is super unique and does anything I want without needing steam (steam definitely helps but isn’t necessary - the photos are of an unsteamed hat). I’d honestly say he’s one of the best hats in my collection as well as being one of the most comfortable. And to be clear, this is a substantial felt: I would not wear him in the winter months in North Dakota, but he worked very well for me in the wintertime in Melbourne, Australia (with evening temps consistently hovering just above freezing). As for sky juice, I have never had him out in anything more than a slight sprinkle, so I can’t say about that.

Importantly, he got a lot of compliments underway from people who had no idea that he rolls up. Strangers literally stopped me and complimented the hat. In other words, he’s quite attractive and far from just gimmicky.

I have a second one of these but it’s in storage and not as impressive as a hat - though the mechanics are just as terrific. I’ll try to post it in the next few days.

Thanks for reading. Sorry to write a novel but I feel it’s worth reporting how exceptional and durable this hat is precisely as a travel companion that can be rolled and unrolled over and over and over again. Like I say, I literally did exactly that for a year and a half straight. If you travel often and ever get a chance to purchase one of these, I’d jump on it. I paid $125 for mine in 2018 and feel like that price was more than fair.

View attachment 584896
View attachment 584897
View attachment 584898
View attachment 584899
View attachment 584900
View attachment 584901
View attachment 584902
View attachment 584903
View attachment 584904
View attachment 584905
Great photos, story, and explanation of a true roll-up, Nathan. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 584896
View attachment 584897
View attachment 584898
View attachment 584899
View attachment 584900
View attachment 584901
View attachment 584902
View attachment 584903
View attachment 584904
View attachment 584905
Good write up, Nathan. It is a testimony for the quality of the hat that you can actually do this. I still stand by my assessment though that they were not meant for that kind of use. Great model and colour.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Good write up, Nathan. It is a testimony for the quality of the hat that you can actually do this. I still stand by my assessment though that they were not meant for that kind of use. Great model and colour.
Thanks Stefan!

You are definitely an expert in all things Borsa, so maybe this was just beginners luck for me (my first vintage Borsa). But I admit that I was surprised to read your opinion that these weren’t meant to be rolled over and over again.

I hope one day to acquire another great example to test out on a road trip.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve! Sorry to not convert measurements to metric. For some reason I have always had trouble with centimeters. I still can’t remember how tall I am outside of the US, let alone brim sizes!
No worries, Nathan. I'm the other way round.

Despite being English, and having spent the first half of my life in England, I still have trouble with inches, but can just about work them out. But don't talk to me about Fahrenheit. What's that all about? :)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, Nathan. Seeing it on your head, it is hard to imagine it ever lived in a box!

View attachment 584896
View attachment 584897
View attachment 584898
View attachment 584899
View attachment 584900
View attachment 584901
View attachment 584902
View attachment 584903
View attachment 584904
View attachment 584905

Forum statistics

Threads