Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't remember if I joined this illustrious group, but I'm not going through 283 pages to find out! So, for better or worse, here I am (again)! My two qualifying Borsalino's with which I am most happily, a Borsalino Brother.

DixonCannon2.jpg
3.jpg

-dixon 'Borsalino' cannon

Josie67

New in Town
May I join the brotherhood? Just picked up this beautiful Borsalino Trionfo on FL. Can someone help me to decipher the tag under the sweet? The left word is Rutinio, which is the color, the middle word has an initial, plus the word Nero (Italian for Black), which I assume represents the color of the ribbon, and I can't make out the word on the right. Size is hard to make out in the picture but is Punti 5 1/2 with a 2 1/2" brim. Original sweat was replaced with a new stock borsalino. Onion skin still looks pretty good.....complete with a little tear in the middle. Any help on the initial in the middle word and the word on the right would be appreciated.

16e2b6c2498253474582046cbab15ede.jpg

8d287d56db3432d44b678d7fc8924739.jpg

80682e6ad07dc2053afa7caf7c2611f1.jpg

Last edited:

RobStC

A-List Customer
Any help on the initial in the middle word and the word on the right would be appreciated.

Probably the middle letter is just 'c.', short for 'con' (as in 'with'), and the model name is just what it looks like, i.e. Borsalino model name jibberish.....!

Nice looking hat, congrats.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Nice one, Dixon! Looks good with the jacket, which somehow looks great with the tie.

Josie, what RobStC alluded to is Borsalino's practice of coming up with fantasy model names. They sound great, but often have no meaning. It's up to you to assign a definition! :) That's a handsome lid.

Monte

A-List Customer
Great hat, Dixon. I like the coat too. I recently rescued an old wool coat w/a fur collar from the thrift store. Just needed to let the sleeves out a bit. I also picked up a Walton fedora. I'm not sure where they were made. Not sure if it was in England or if the crest inside is meant to look British.

tridentine

Suspended
I just received the Borsalino, and it is made of wool.
Not good looking and impossible to shape.
I will be returning it.
Serves me right for buying off of ebay.

Flatland2D

New in Town
Here is my submission to this thread. This is my first post here and hopefully the start of something fun. In my recent years I've developed an appreciation for old fashioned things. It started with taking up fountain pens several years ago, then I took up straight razor shaving. Now I'm getting into "classic" hats. Although I still love technology and smartphones, I feel like I could have lived in the 20's and 30's.

This is my new-to-me Borsalino Via Veneto stingy. I bought it from a forum member here. I know stingies are not everyone's favorite, but I'm really liking this one even if it's just a gateway hat into wider brims. It was listed as from the 50's, but the previous owner was relying on information from the owner before him. I'd like to get some opinions on the hat and see if it possibly fits in that decade.

IMG_9641.jpg

The hat seems to be in great condition for its age. It came with a slightly off center center dent with dimples that came out easy with steam and I reformed it with the same style. The hat also has these three small feathers. I'm not a huge fan of feathers in fedoras but these are small and kind of understated and I think they work with the hat. I plan on keeping them for now. Could these be original, or from the same time period? Were these hats sold back in the day with feathers?

Here is the liner. There is some slight discoloration in some areas but it doesn't show up well in sunlight.

IMG_9633.jpg

Leather band with Grand-Prix 1900.

IMG_9634.jpg

The right side of the hat says "Imported by Danbury flushing".

IMG_9637.jpg

The front of the hat says "Via Veneto" which I assume is the model name. There is some separation of the leather band in this area. The original owner's initials are silk screened on the band. Was this common to have your initials added at the time you bought the hat? Or added later?

IMG_9635.jpg

Here is the thin strip of corrugated material at the front.

IMG_9642.jpg

This is the only other tag I saw under the liner. The numbers are 3724 and 22916. "Nero" I was told represented the hat's color (black).

IMG_9644.jpg

Here's the noggin shot. It took my wife about two seconds to tell me she didn't like the hat. She said it looked too tall. I know some of that takes some getting used to, but the crown did seem a but tall for a stingy.

IMG_9627.jpg

I decided to try a teardrop in order to lower the crown height some. It looks more in proportion with the rest of the hat.

IMG_9651.jpg

Side profile of teardrop crease.

IMG_9652.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's just a tad snug so I've been wearing it a lot trying to conform it to its new owner. So far it seems to be working. I definitely plan on going wider with my next hat. I'd really like to pick up an Akubra Stylermaster in moonstone grey since it seems to be compatible with lots of clothing and styles.

Any help confirming the date of the hat would be greatly appreciated! Any other comments/suggestions welcome, too!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Flatland 2D! That's a thorough first post with some nice pictures. If you wind up preferring stingy brims, that's a good one to own. Honestly, though, I think your wife has a good eye.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Best,
Randall

Flatland2D

New in Town
Looks newer than 50s to me...

Mind if I ask why you think this? Is it the style or the liner? Just curious. I'm not married to the idea of it being from the 50's, but I'm hoping it's still somewhat vintage.

Welcome, Flatland 2D! That's a thorough first post with some nice pictures. If you wind up preferring stingy brims, that's a good one to own. Honestly, though, I think your wife has a good eye.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Best,
Randall

Thanks. I wanted to have at least one stingy brim in my rotation because they seem a little easier to pull off with various types of clothing for a beginner. I'm liking the tear drop bash more and also am preferring the look of it pushed back just a little bit instead of being right over my eyes, about an inch lower than my hairline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy