Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Very similar in color but this one is actually an older vented Christys of London Bowler. I'm going to post some photos of the bagnara as well in a little bit in the side by side comparison thread. And thank you very kindly Garrett. This one fits just about perfect.

Good to see the thread get back on track.

Guitarmasta12, The maker is Hall and Hall Co., Danbury, Connecticut. Someone here might have some info. You also might try searching here or Google.

Alex, Rare find with the old Christys' Bowler. Congrats!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
These are fantastic, guys. I've been avoiding my bowlers and derbies as of late. Better break them out again!

This photo was a week or two ago, but the hat never made it out of my back yard.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1400118458702.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400118458702.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 143

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Here's my new Derby. Well it's not new but you know....it's new in my possession. This is a nice looking Chesterfield. After I took these pics I smoothed the crown from dents and cleaned the felt up to look nice black and shiny.

DSC00211_zps902d7c4d.jpg DSC00213_zps6511c715.jpg I'm changing out the sweat for a new one.

DSC00214_zpsdcaf8765.jpg DSC00227_zps6a372fa9.jpg This stamp helped me date it a little. I know its 1934 or older.

+1 on all the above. By coincidence, I saw its twin this weekend at the flea market. It had a paper medallion from a later cleaning/renovation pasted on the crown liner covering most of the original imprint. I didn't recognize the mark, but seeing yours, I am sure it was the same. It also had the UHoNA union stamp.

Enjoy it!

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
+1 on all the above. By coincidence, I saw its twin this weekend at the flea market. It had a paper medallion from a later cleaning/renovation pasted on the crown liner covering most of the original imprint. I didn't recognize the mark, but seeing yours, I am sure it was the same. It also had the UHoNA union stamp.

Enjoy it!

Thanks ;)

You could try acid free double backed tape or glue (I have used Elmer's on small patches). With the small stitches (the small holes in the leather are also most likely broken) it's not that noticeable and you might be able to save the sweatband. You will need to be careful putting it on and taking it off.

hey do u think this is an english hat?

The UHofNA union label suggests an American company.

If the reed is well attached to the hat, you might consider using Fabri-tac adhesive to glue the leather to the reed fabric. Fabri-tac is a flexible adhesive that dries very quickly and designed for textiles. It is removable with acetone, but if a replacement sweat is needed at some point, the reed and leather will be need to be removed.

The hat I mentioned previously which I believe to be from the same company was also missing its sweatband.

ps: Fabri-tac can be purchased at Joanne Fabrics and other sewing supply stores. It is a useful thing to have around.

Here is one I fixed with glue (in my case Elmer's Glue-All). On the right you can still see the stitches. It's really not noticeable. Fabri-tac is probably a better glue to use but I don't have any experience with it. I was able to easily remove residue with Elmer's so I figured I could apply more in the future if needed.

14421506633_491d0f7882_b.jpg

Last edited:

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
The UHofNA union label suggests an American company.

If the reed is well attached to the hat, you might consider using Fabri-tac adhesive to glue the leather to the reed fabric. Fabri-tac is a flexible adhesive that dries very quickly and designed for textiles. It is removable with acetone, but if a replacement sweat is needed at some point, the reed and leather will be need to be removed.

The hat I mentioned previously which I believe to be from the same company was also missing its sweatband.

ps: Fabri-tac can be purchased at Joanne Fabrics and other sewing supply stores. It is a useful thing to have around.

Yeah I just remembered. Silly me lol.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Here is one I fixed with glue (in my case Elmer's Glue-All). On the right you can still see the stitches. It's really not noticeable. Fabri-tac is probably a better glue to use but I don't have any experience with it. I was able to easily remove residue with Elmer's so I figured I could apply more in the future if needed.

14421506633_491d0f7882_b.jpg

Hmm... is the sweat able to be turned inside out?

No. That is how the small stitches popped in the first place. There is really no reason to turn the sweat inside out. You have already seen what is behind it. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart