Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

On the stiff felt I posted the stitches popped when I removed folded paper (was being used as a spacer) that was behind the sweatband. I tried to be very careful but they still popped.

I think it was more a case of thread dry rot. Regardless I would rather have the original sweatband. There aren't any modern sweatbands that would be a proper (only functional) replacement.

C. G. Wilke Guben made for A. Breiter München, size 55cm, probably 1930s. This one is made of wool or a fur - wool blend. Interesting black sweatband.

14260733869_3141822bca_b.jpg

14446268904_9c4554da5d_b.jpg

14424345836_465441189c_b.jpg

14261045747_7f09d90753_b.jpg

14260806849_8906dbf55b_b.jpg

14260854188_66c3c3790f_b.jpg

bombin

Familiar Face
Identifying a bowler hat?

I got a bowler hat off of ebay recently, and it's missing its sweatband and lining, but there is a remnant of a tag left - I was wondering if anyone could identify:

xwBTL24.jpg

It looks like "19..." at the top, and "Of Nor--" "REGIS-" at bottom ("REGISTERED TRADEMARK", I assume).

Maybe "Of Norfolk"?

The hat itself has a sort of odd star shape punched into the top of the crown (hard to see, but here):

FghcIam.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The only help we'll be able to give you is a rough idea on the date. The label remnant in your Derby is from the United Hatters of North America, a consolidated union of hat makers and hat finishers. The tag would date it to between 1896 and 1934. Other than that, there's no way of knowing which manufacturer made the hat without and other information. Some were union shops, and some weren't.

It's possible that there was a manufacturer known for that type of bow, as it's fairly atypical, but not completely unknown.

Brad

Last edited:

bombin

Familiar Face
Many thanks, Brad. That dating information is very interesting, even if it doesn't identify particular manufacturer, as I had really no idea about the date. Does the star shape in the crown mean anything to you?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Brad. That dating information is very interesting, even if it doesn't identify particular manufacturer, as I had really no idea about the date. Does the star shape in the crown mean anything to you?

It's just one of many different ventilation patterns that manufacturers had available to them. I don't know that it's specific to any one maker.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Two C&K Derbies

Two fairly recent additions to my Derby collection from Crofut & Knapp, the second one very special! More here in the Crofut & Knapp Tales thread.

Mid- to late-1930s house-branded for Matthess in Hollywood:
CKMatthessDerby3.jpg CKMatthessDerby4.jpg CKMatthessDerby5.jpg

1909-1914 Knapp-Felt for Dobbs & Co.:

CKDobbs242Derby2.jpg CKDobbs242Derby4.jpg
CKDobbs242Derby6.jpg CKDobbs242Derby5.jpg

Brad

bombin

Familiar Face
Here are my two bowler hats:

LGMkl8r.jpg

(an album of futher images is here)

The left is the vintage bowler I posted earlier, and the right is my wool bowler from Meyer Hats.

I'd like to change the brim of the vintage one to a deeper side curl.

It's most likely German or Austrian. I haven't come across any special felt / finishes Melone in my size. They are very rare. Where was it listed? If you have a chance please post it in the German - Austrian thread.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's fantastic, ofcoursemyhorse! I'd like to know more about the finish, too. Is it a gray heather felt, because that's what it looks like.

Brad

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Will do Mayser, I saw it listed on ebay germany. Bard, you are correct sir, it was listed a grey with special finish and a hard shell. Without a doubt one most awesome bowlers i've seen in a while. If it was anywhere near my size i'd be all over it.

I am pretty sure Robert Hanisch was the shop that sold it. The building is gone but there are some old buildings around it that survived. My guess is that was made in Germany (probably right around Berlin since there were so many factories in the general area, Guben, ect.) and it has some Wool content. I can't see any company markings but that isn't unusual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen