Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
43097c9f8d1c67f4318eeab494af55b5.jpg

5048e9f16d1a7367f86c9b327312d959.jpg

Just. I don't know, one of those nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys! I like the derbies, haha.
Strapped-- that one you cited is an old Bailey, believe it or not. As for the straws, I tend to wear the lighter panama in the back more often: a taller but entry level brisa weave by Texas hatters,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain X

New in Town
What would be a reasonable price for a felt bowler hat? What would be paying too much for one?

In a few weeks, I'm going to be at a convention and a couple of the vendors sells hats. Mostly they've been modified for the steam**** crowd, but there are a few unmodified ones, so I'm actually contemplating getting one, depending on the price, anyway.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Soft wool felt, hard wool felt, soft fur felt, hard fur felt, reinforced hard fur felt, padded reinforced hard fur felt, what brand, and current or vintage?
Browse Etsy and Ebay to see what sellers are asking for most of the above, and "follow" some hats to see what they actually sell for, (if they sell at all).
You should find a fairly plentiful supply of most types on Etsy and Ebay. (In most any shade of black that you may want. :) )

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Captain, size is a key factor here as well. If you're a size 7 there is a lot more vintage bowlers to choose from. If you're a size 7 5/8 they are fewer and further between and command higher prices.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
And if you wear a size 6-7/8 or 6-3/4 regular oval, you'll find yourself smack dab in the middle of vintage hat heaven.
Hats in those sizes often sit around unsold at bargain prices for lengthy periods of time.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Don't ever buy a modern Derby. For the most part, No manufacturer can make a good D'Orsay curl or blind stitch the brim binding anymore, the felt is not the same, especially if you're looking for the lightweight hats, and so they look like crap. Go vintage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran