Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Shane Fraser

New in Town
Definitely need photos (front and side view, liner logo, sweatband logo, paper label behind sweatband).
Hello I love your beaver skin bowler hat. Do you want to sell it?

So this one is a bit odd. It doesn't appear to have been converted from a top hat to bowler. But its very clearly two different colors of silk plush or beaver fur. the bottom is a dark brown, the top is more often seen black. It looks like it was repaired at some point by someone other than Dunlap.

Whats also strange is that the construction seems far more delicate than what would be needed for an equestrian derby. This would provide very little head protection.

Aside from that it's in wonderful condition considering its age. It is a small size, but after wearing it out and about I feel like this was meant to be worn on the very top of the head. I don't think i've gotten more compliments on a hat than this one.[/QUOTE]
How was I supposed to resist this?

How was I supposed to resist this?

This one belongs to ofcoursemyhorse. It's definitely Silk Plush and appears to made for some kind of equestrian purpose. I would suggest sending ofcoursemyhorse a PM.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Its incredibly small in size, unless you're a 6 5/8 it probably wouldnt fit you, beyond that its one of the highlights of my collection. Just keep your eyes peeled on ebay and another may just pop up sometime.

Shane Fraser

New in Town

Hello Love the beaver skin bowler hat. Do you want to sell it? If so how much? Kind regards Shane

So this one is a bit odd. It doesn't appear to have been converted from a top hat to bowler. But its very clearly two different colors of silk plush or beaver fur. the bottom is a dark brown, the top is more often seen black. It looks like it was repaired at some point by someone other than Dunlap.

Whats also strange is that the construction seems far more delicate than what would be needed for an equestrian derby. This would provide very little head protection.

Aside from that it's in wonderful condition considering its age. It is a small size, but after wearing it out and about I feel like this was meant to be worn on the very top of the head. I don't think i've gotten more compliments on a hat than this one.

The first, second and third rows were added since my last update on 02/15/2015.

28495675385_5baa17be36.jpg

28417761161_a954f01400.jpg

15891393494_d47b86c548_o.jpg

16513274345_c46b092dcc_o.jpg

9109917418_73c670a69d.jpg

8326762255_f991035601_o.jpg

8326762005_308da5b061_o.jpg

5878542621_6acb46c0ff_o.gif

5879104970_9a82b1526b_o.gif

5879104998_d78e677a38_o.gif
Now that is a collection of bowler and derby hats! Nice! :)

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
I have a bunch of Bowlers of different weight, height and color. Most are British brands like Lock, Tress, Dunn, Telford. I don't own any US or European examples yet, which is why I find this thread so intriguing.

I often wear them in cooler weather here in Hong Kong. Some are vintage and others brand new, including a beautiful, grey Lock & Co which I bought last year in London, fulfilling a long-held ambition. One particular favorite is a Dunn & Co Perfectus, which is super lightweight and has excellent venting all around. I will post pics of some of these.

I find the first moment I put on the Bowler each year is the only time I feel self-conscious. They are fantastic, practical hats, always look cool and never blow off the head even in a typhoon! I tend to wear them with jeans and pullovers, I don't go so much for the dandy look. And at every opportunity, I encourage other guys to wear them!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 181

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
The hat is very stiff! So it had to be conformed. They use the conformateur for every hard hat sale ie bowlers and toppers, which they still manufacture (although probably not all in uk). It's their "thing". So they go through the ritual of measuring your head and then take your chosen hat to their workroom and steam the crown. When it comes back, it's yours!

Having said this, I actually found it fitted me too perfectly, so I eventually reshaped it myself. Needs a lot of steam.

The hat is very stiff! So it had to be conformed. They use the conformateur for every hard hat sale ie bowlers and toppers, which they still manufacture (although probably not all in uk). It's their "thing". So they go through the ritual of measuring your head and then take your chosen hat to their workroom and steam the crown. When it comes back, it's yours!

Having said this, I actually found it fitted me too perfectly, so I eventually reshaped it myself. Needs a lot of steam.

Thank you for the calcification regarding the stiffness. Historically Formillion were used for Stiff Felts (and Top Hats) and not Soft Felts (because in most cases they lack the stiffness). I just received a good example of a conformed C.G. Wilke Stiff Felt that I will post shortly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy