Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Mystic

Practically Family
Really a NICE one, Alan.

Alan's Derby is a tough act to follow. But, here goes......Kinda been looking for a brown derby for a while. Don't see many in my size except from the UK with high shipping cost.

Came across this "No Name" Ventilated brown derby in my size on ebay. Pretty good older hat in better than average condition; Nice Chocolate color. Would have liked more crown height and brim width (4 3/4" crown 1 3/4 brim ) but, I'm ok with this. Nice 2" taped sweat. $2.00 Broadway Hat store price tag. 911 Washington St. Boston. United Hatters label under sweat. The weight is the same as my Black Featherweight Stetson Select Quality derby.
IMG_2108_zps3f1dfdb4.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2107_zps06201b09.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2109_zpsdedb6992.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2110_zpsc9877695.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2111_zpsc651dfac.jpg
[/IMG]

fedoracentric

Banned
I've been looking for a brown derby for a while. Brown ones are much farther and fewer between than the regular black ones. I just haven't found one in my size that was made before the 50s like I want. That one sure is clean, too. Too bad it is so tiny.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I was very excited to find this Stetson Bowler today at an estate sale, it's my EXACT hat size and fit perfect! :D It had a couple dents in the crown and a bent brim but was easily restored with some heat and steam. Because I bought it at an estate sale I was able to find out who the original owner was, a neat bit of personal history to keep with the hat.
-Any idea on age? I was thinking 1920s, but don't really know for sure.

Wild Toad

New in Town
Picked up a Resistol Bowler hat today at an estate sale. It cost $10.00. The name is "The Bicknell" Looks early 1930s or 40s.
Pics to follow.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Thanks fellas for the comments on the bowler.

I was doing some research on the hat's original owner, his name was George Hubert and he lived from 1882 - 1952. He moved to the United States from Germany in 1904 and eventually started a transportation and storage company in the 1920s called 'Hubert Transfer and Storage'. It's pretty neat knowing who actually bought and owned the hat when new; adds a personal touch to the hat's history.

Great that you were able to find historical bio info on the owner. During my searchers I have come across newspaper advertisements for Kauffmann's. For example this 1937 advertisement for Hückel Velour hats.

4800172576_2ee127fd9d_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael