Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Breakfast Martini

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Got to wondering...what do you think Mencken is having with his morning brew? Slice of pound cake, perhaps?
3859940197_91a205af14.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate to stick my nose into this stimulating discussion but the description reads:

"H.L. Mencken sits at the breakfast table reading the newspaper and dining on toast and a goblet of beer. He autographed the photograph with "Breakfast in the Free State!" and his signature."

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi...rch_type=basic&keyword1=Mencken&submit=SEARCH

Why do I feel like I am going to regret this????:eusa_doh:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Toast! Hmph. Not that I don't enjoy a burnt slice myself, but beer and toast - well, it lacks something. I at least hope he had some liverwurst, or a bit of mild cheese. (Starting the day with cold cuts is a peculiarly German practice, but very filling.)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Toast! Hmph. Not that I don't enjoy a burnt slice myself, but beer and toast - well, it lacks something. I at least hope he had some liverwurst, or a bit of mild cheese. (Starting the day with cold cuts is a peculiarly German practice, but very filling.)

Sorry I got involved Fletch...Please don't beat me up....:eek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Mr Mencken has just sat down for breakfast. Only just.

He is reading the newspaper, first page.

Cutlery untouched.

Goblet of beer full.

The man just got there. Give him time to settle down.

He will have liverwurst,bacon, bagels.... the works ok? he will have a very filling breakfast. Food is very important for Mr Menckenn so there is no way he will only have a dry toast.

OK. :D

Now you can continue talking about martini. :p

A.Blighty

New in Town
Warbaby said:
I awoke this morning in a somewhat grumpy mood which was not enhanced by my discovery that I was out of coffee. Being a resourceful sort of gentleman and one who is not unwilling to adapt to a less than ideal situation, I decided that I needed a bit of mood adjustment and mixed myself a martini.

I must say that it improved my outlook on the day considerably and I highly recommend it to all those blessed with an adventuresome spirit...:D

I immediately thought of Bertram Wooster when I read this.

Blighty approves! :eusa_clap

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Another Morning Eye Opener in New Orleans.

Absinthe or Herbsaint Suissesse

1-1/2 ounces absinthe (Or Herbsaint as a substitute)

1/2 ounce Orgeat

White of 1 egg (or 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg white product)

1 ounce half-and-half (or 1/2 ounce each whole milk and heavy cream)

4 ounces crushed ice

Combine ingredients in a blender, whizz for 5 seconds and pour into a chilled goblet or rocks glass.

Uff Da

New in Town
BinkieBaumont said:
"Sunday Morning, I rather naughtily polished orf two flutes of Champagne Cocktails, left over from Saturday nights soirée"

3337694252_b609f5b194.jpg

Looks like a fun time!!! :D

PoohBang

Suspended
I can't see a martini, but sure could a good beer. And not a can of bud, but real ale.

The Germans make a breakfast beer. and actually it's pretty much a liquid piece of toast anyway... right?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
Another Morning Eye Opener in New Orleans.

Absinthe or Herbsaint Suissesse

1-1/2 ounces absinthe (Or Herbsaint as a substitute)

1/2 ounce Orgeat

White of 1 egg (or 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg white product)

1 ounce half-and-half (or 1/2 ounce each whole milk and heavy cream)

4 ounces crushed ice

Combine ingredients in a blender, whizz for 5 seconds and pour into a chilled goblet or rocks glass.

If one were interested in trying this concoction for with breakfast, but lacked the majority of ingredients, perhaps just a measure of Meadow of Love, cold water and ice?.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn