Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Staredge

One of the Regulars
I'd like to be joining this happy bunch, if I might. Bought a flat cap at the Bass outlet this past weekend for $8 on sale & thought I did ok. Fits decent, although it isn't as deep as I'd like. Hit up BCF today to pick up a couple of pairs of pants, and bought a Scala newboy. Really like the fit of this one, and the wife likes it better than the flat. I've been wearing ballcaps for 20+ years, & figured it was time to 'grow up'!!!!! :eusa_clap

Will post pics when I can.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
This is my cap, I don't know what kind it is, may be a newsboy? It's grey herringbone tweed. Even tho it's an inexpensive one and I don't wear it as much as I'd like to, I'm rather fond of it.

m_IMG_5022.jpg

There's a cap in the picture???? :eek:

All I can really say is :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Will

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Ditto, Dean.

Well, it's most certainly cap weather here today with 8" of snow on the ground and maybe 4 to 6 more to come.

First, my Stromy Kromer. Great hat, I recommend it to everyone:
2247043431_af23efb0f3.jpg

2247837948_c8192f920a.jpg

Second, a cap that my In-Laws brought me back from the Emerald Isle:
2247839222_803c65e049.jpg

2247042043_123c31221b.jpg

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
I saw the John Ratzenberger Made In America episode on the Stormy Kromer. Looks like a well made hat with a lot of history.

That Irish flat cap is beautiful!!! Green is my favorite color and it suits you well.

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Yes, the Stormy Kromer is made not only in the USA, but right here in good ol' Michigan. It's a very common site at the rural winter events around here. Gun Shows, Tractor Supply Co., etc. Not quite as warm as a nice stocking cap, but pretty close.

NonEntity

Suspended
2nd Request

NonEntity said:
It's about time for a new cap. I have but one, a Churchhill from its Pace Setter Collection, wool tweed of a dozen colors but basically a greenish brown, having a satin lining and sweatband, with a rust suede bill and side panels. I got it 30 years ago, so I need some help here.

Though newsboys are all the rage this year, even the less floppy ones dwarf my small head, so I'm looking for a sleeker type, but one that comes well down on my head and does not sit right up on top. As for fabric, I want 100% wool tweed, and I have no particular preference for weave--houndstooth, herringbone, etc.. Yet there are countless kinds of wool--Harris, worsted, merino, Cheviot, blends of these, etc. What's best? Naturally, I desire the highest quality.

I'm big on authenticity and so am drawn to caps made in Scotland, Ireland, and England, but are caps constructed there really any better? Perhaps a cap made of wool from one of those places but assembled elsewhere? Color? I'll know what's right when I see it, but something that goes with a wide variety of clothing shades.

I think what I want is called an ivy or driver. Is there any difference between them? If so, what? Are there other names that a cap which meets my requirements above go by?

Are there types of cap sweatbands and linings that that are considered signs of quality? If so, describe what I should look for.

I saw a couple caps in the Hartford York catalogue by Irish maker Jonathan Richard, the County and the Vintage County, that appealed to me, but those are just photos with a very brief description. Does he make a high quality cap?

Are there cap name brands that I could count on to be assured of quality, as is Akubra in the world of hats?

I really appreciate your help. Feel free to provide additional info I may not have thought to ask which would be useful to know when selecting a cap.

Any help from the fine folks here?

Feraud

Bartender
Bud-n-Texas said:
I have made the leap to a cap, it seems to be a nice alternative to my fedoras on more casual days.
The cap looks good on you Bud. I have a similar one from Hannah and just bought a second in brown tweed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic