Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

I wondered about that myself. Unfortunately the detail photos don't show an adjuster, so... :shrug:
Ha! That's the first thing I looked for too. In one photo it looks like there might be a section of elastic material attached to the sweatband in the back to allow for a little stretch/re-sizing, but in my experience "one size fits all" means it won't fit me.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm trying to find a cap similar to the one Martin Mull wears on the TV show, The Cool Kids. It's similar to this one I saw in yesterday's newspaper, worn by someone else:

SAC_JENSEN_JV_011719158.jpeg

I'm trying to find a cap similar to the one Martin Mull wears on the TV show, The Cool Kids. It's similar to this one I saw in yesterday's newspaper, worn by someone else:

View attachment 154742
We don't watch the show, but after viewing some stills and publicity photos it seems Mr. Mull wears a dark gray Tweed Ivy cap...

njiu6qV.jpg

...similar to this one sold by Village Hat Shop, but it seems rather common and you could probably find one for a better price elsewhere.

Thank you, Zombie, I just thought it looked like a thicker tweed.
He probably wears different caps in different scenes/episodes, but the one in the photo I posted (color, pattern, style) seemed to show up most often. First, it's common practice for television and movie productions to have multiple copies of wardrobe items available in case they get damaged or go missing so they can grab the next one and continue filming, especially when it's something that's so prominently seen like a cap or hat. But as we all know you can buy five of the "same" cap, and there will still be minor differences. Second, I don't know too many people who wear caps or hats regularly who have only one, so it's reasonable to assume a fictional television character would own more than one cap. Based on the photos I saw Mr. Mull seems to have an affinity for flat caps in real life, so you may have seen him wearing a different cap on the show than the one in the photo I posted.

ScottyD

Familiar Face
Finally getting to contribute to this thread. New to forum, not to hats. Went thru first 100 pages and realized because of photobucket and internally most photos are missing. So got frustrated and skipped to last 100 or so pages where pictures for the most part show up. I have to say like most of you I'm totally enamored with the custom made 1920s / 1800s style caps.

So I'm not new to flat caps. I have been wearing mostly Ivys for about 10-15 years maybe even longer. Every few years I'd add a new one to the collection. When I first started buying them I don't think you could really find them online (or I didn't know where to go) and I had never really even thought about going to a hat shop. It wasn't even on my radar. So I just picked 'em up every few years at one of these discount style department stores like Century 21 or Daffys. It wasn't even until this forum that I connected the dots and realized what I was really missing - the custom made bespoke 8 panel cap and/or the 1920s style flat cap. I don't think I ever really saw an 8 panel for sale in one of these dept. stores.

So now here we are about a month or two ago and I'm watching the youtube and I see a video come up about choosing a flat cap made by Goorin Bros. They show the styles and options and I see they're having a winter sale. I grab a few models - Old Town and Fortunato Liberati. Get 'em and realize the Old Town just looks weird on my head (sent it back) and Fortunato Liberati fits nice and looks nice, but I'm looking for something more. Then I find the JJ Hat Center videos made by Kevin and that's where I figure out the possibilities of the flat cap. Hanna, Jonathan Richard, etc. I'm like... I'm a full cut 8 panel kinda guy. The cheese cutters just ain't cutting it anymore... I mean I like my patch work Ivy's from Brooks Brothers. I like my Kangols. You get the idea. But custom 8 panel / one piece crowns are where it's at.

Other things I've learned... I wish I would have skipped right over Goorin Bros. and found this forum first. I like the quality, but find that they are priced for Chinese made. I wish I would have found 8 panel caps sooner. I think they fit me better than the Ivy style. Maybe they're a little too conservative for me. The 8 panel just has more attitude and pizzazz.

So here we are and now I'm going on a binge... started with a nice blue tweed gatsby from B! Wear. Love it and at the price point you can't beat it. Then had to try out a full cut black and white herringbone from the Hat People (haven't received yet). Found this thread and now I've commissioned a work wear 8 panel in blue twill cotton from Barry Simonds. While I was at it... just bought "The Dart" from Monsivais in a cool looking diamond twill weave. I think I'll cut myself off with a 8 dart cap from Cordova. I'd love to go with a cap from The Well Dressed Head, but I just can't justify the price right now.

Pictures of all this stuff to come... just need to figure out how to make my ugly mug look good. ;)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Finally getting to contribute to this thread. New to forum, not to hats. Went thru first 100 pages and realized because of photobucket and internally most photos are missing. So got frustrated and skipped to last 100 or so pages where pictures for the most part show up. I have to say like most of you I'm totally enamored with the custom made 1920s / 1800s style caps.

So I'm not new to flat caps. I have been wearing mostly Ivys for about 10-15 years maybe even longer. Every few years I'd add a new one to the collection. When I first started buying them I don't think you could really find them online (or I didn't know where to go) and I had never really even thought about going to a hat shop. It wasn't even on my radar. So I just picked 'em up every few years at one of these discount style department stores like Century 21 or Daffys. It wasn't even until this forum that I connected the dots and realized what I was really missing - the custom made bespoke 8 panel cap and/or the 1920s style flat cap. I don't think I ever really saw an 8 panel for sale in one of these dept. stores.

So now here we are about a month or two ago and I'm watching the youtube and I see a video come up about choosing a flat cap made by Goorin Bros. They show the styles and options and I see they're having a winter sale. I grab a few models - Old Town and Fortunato Liberati. Get 'em and realize the Old Town just looks weird on my head (sent it back) and Fortunato Liberati fits nice and looks nice, but I'm looking for something more. Then I find the JJ Hat Center videos made by Kevin and that's where I figure out the possibilities of the flat cap. Hanna, Jonathan Richard, etc. I'm like... I'm a full cut 8 panel kinda guy. The cheese cutters just ain't cutting it anymore... I mean I like my patch work Ivy's from Brooks Brothers. I like my Kangols. You get the idea. But custom 8 panel / one piece crowns are where it's at.

Other things I've learned... I wish I would have skipped right over Goorin Bros. and found this forum first. I like the quality, but find that they are priced for Chinese made. I wish I would have found 8 panel caps sooner. I think they fit me better than the Ivy style. Maybe they're a little too conservative for me. The 8 panel just has more attitude and pizzazz.

So here we are and now I'm going on a binge... started with a nice blue tweed gatsby from B! Wear. Love it and at the price point you can't beat it. Then had to try out a full cut black and white herringbone from the Hat People (haven't received yet). Found this thread and now I've commissioned a work wear 8 panel in blue twill cotton from Barry Simonds. While I was at it... just bought "The Dart" from Monsivais in a cool looking diamond twill weave. I think I'll cut myself off with a 8 dart cap from Cordova. I'd love to go with a cap from The Well Dressed Head, but I just can't justify the price right now.

Pictures of all this stuff to come... just need to figure out how to make my ugly mug look good. ;)
Welcome to the Lounge, Scotty.
I have a whole bunch of fedoras, but I've only bought one cap, from Jonathan Cordova (speaks Spanish, so I liked him right away), but I haven't received it yet.
I didn't really like them, until I saw a couple of Alan's (@alanfgag), and decided I should have at least one for my collection.
I know nothing about caps. I ordered an 8/4 in silk, because I live in Mexico City, and besides I dislike the feel of wool. I know what an 8/4 looks like, but why is it called an 8/4? I know it has 8 panels, but where does the 4 cone from?
I will also post this in the Ask a Question thread.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I am a fan of AmiCharnel caps. I have 3 of his with two more on the way. They are a fuller cut than the average Newsboy, great material and workmanship and you can specify the trim you want. I think they offer great value for the money.

I’ll second the vote of confidence for AmiCharnel. They are a good value for money. They have their own thread here if you want more information. As they are custom made, you may be able to specified some tweaks to get the style you want if you don’t see it in his stock offerings.
https://www.amicharnel.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ScottyD

Familiar Face
Welcome to the Lounge, Scotty.
I have a whole bunch of fedoras, but I've only bought one cap, from Jonathan Cordova (speaks Spanish, so I liked him right away), but I haven't received it yet.
I didn't really like them, until I saw a couple of Alan's (@alanfgag), and decided I should have at least one for my collection.
I know nothing about caps. I ordered an 8/4 in silk, because I live in Mexico City, and besides I dislike the feel of wool. I know what an 8/4 looks like, but why is it called an 8/4? I know it has 8 panels, but where does the 4 cone from?
I will also post this in the Ask a Question thread.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Yup, looks to me that Cordova has some of the best in this category. I like that he has a ton of options in fabrics. I think his pricing is fair. Based on first impressions via pictures only, I will say that The Well Dressed Head seems to be one notch above in terms of detailing. An example would be his 8 dart caps seem to be more pronounced. But this is just splitting hairs.

8/4 - I think is a misnomer. 8x 1/4s? It seems to me that there are 8x 1/8s. I'm not sure why people started calling it that, but it seems they weren't good at math. ;)

I am a fan of AmiCharnel caps. I have 3 of his with two more on the way. They are a fuller cut than the average Newsboy, great material and workmanship and you can specify the trim you want. I think they offer great value for the money.

I also looked at AmiCharnel. Based on pics it seemed that they weren't a full cut or even extra full. I could be wrong because there is the option to buy full cut on the site. I will consider them for a future purchase.

I’ll second the vote of confidence for AmiCharnel. They are a good value for money. They have their own thread here if you want more information. As they are custom made, you may be able to specified some tweaks to get the style you want if you don’t see it in his stock offerings.
https://www.amicharnel.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll have to find the thread. Maybe someone has posted pics of what their full cut looks like.

On another note:
My impressions thus far of dealing with Monsivais and Co...
Sent an email inquiring about fabrics, sizing, etc. and got a response within 24 hours. I responded... twice... never heard back in about 3 days. Taking a long weekend? Out of impatience and impulse, bought a cap anyways thinking it should fit. But I'm confused about their sizing. They list 7 3/8, 58cm, 23 5/8". I thought 7 3/8 should be 59cm and around 23 1/4". I do like their pricing a lot and think it's very fair for a bespoke cap. I also think they are on the same level as Cordova in terms of reproduction value. I'm just curious to see how this experience turns out.

Another possible Etsy vendor...
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HatsWithAPast?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I've exchanged a few messages. They were prompt. We went back and forth a few times and I'm not sure if they lost interest. I inquired about them doing a extra full cut similar to what the Hat People do and never heard back. I will say... they do seem to have a nice look to their 8/4 hats.

ScottyD

Familiar Face
Thanks @Blackthorn

Related to dealing with vendors:
Am I being too impatient for not wanting to wait 3 days to speak to a vendor? I must say working with Simonds has been a pleasure. With this kind of stuff being custom, you'd want to have as much communication as possible. These items are not right off the shelf.

...Based on first impressions via pictures only, I will say that The Well Dressed Head seems to be one notch above in terms of detailing. An example would be his 8 dart caps seem to be more pronounced...
The man behind The Well Dressed Head is Keith LoBue, who uses the name Stuffsmith here on The Lounge. I can't say I know him well, and I don't own any of his caps, but he seems to have a passion for the older style caps (i.e., from the early- to mid-1900s). Here, and on his Facebook page, he has mentioned seeking out authentic patterns so he can replicate them faithfully, and he always seems to be searching for vintage and/or interesting materials for the production of his caps.

...Related to dealing with vendors:
Am I being too impatient for not wanting to wait 3 days to speak to a vendor? I must say working with Simonds has been a pleasure. With this kind of stuff being custom, you'd want to have as much communication as possible. These items are not right off the shelf.
It can be difficult to wait for responses from...well, anyone really...but you have to remember these vendors are people too, people who have lives apart from their chosen careers; they aren't working 24 hours every day. And you're probably not their only customer. Speaking from personal experience, communicating with customers can be time consuming, and if that's all they did all day they'd never have time to actually make the hats/caps. Patience and understanding are important traits that aren't easy to master for some people, but if you relax and let the process happen both you and the vendor will be happier in the end.

Last edited:

ScottyD

Familiar Face
Yeah Keith's work is something else from what I can see. Eventually, I'll have to pick one up. I can basically get two Cordova or Monsivais for the price of one WDH. So I'll stick to that for now...

Next up... I'm going to try and figure out how to take semi decent selfies of me wearing a few select hats... otherwise I'll have to strike a pose for the wifey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner