Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a French ebay seller with a similar style although not period materials(grosgrain sweatband etc.) for a more modest price point. They sell pants too. I have some of their products on the way.

http://stores.ebay.com/mamiebluepar...1697013&_sid=1053156423&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Yes, it's true. I was careless in my original post: I should have specified that nobody else in the U.S.A. is mass-producing these kinds of caps. It's never a good thing to imply by omission that America is the entire world.

That said, the interior of this Frenchman's caps --lining/sweatband-- is nothing special. However, since the interior isn't seen when the cap is being worn, it may not be an issue for many folks.

You can see the cap's interior here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASQUETTE-R...tements_AccessoiresHommes&hash=item2a11143798

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's true. I was careless in my original post: I should have specified that nobody else in the U.S.A. is mass-producing these kinds of caps. It's never a good thing to imply by omission that America is the entire world.

That said, the interior of this Frenchman's caps --lining/sweatband-- is nothing special. However, since the interior isn't seen when the cap is being worn, it may not be an issue for many folks.

You can see the cap's interior here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASQUETTE-R...tements_AccessoiresHommes&hash=item2a11143798

I agree that they are not comparable products in interior materials and construction, but at $65.00 they may be more accessible to many. The fabrics appear quite nice and the feedback is very positive, I'll report when I have an actual example in hand.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
... and I´m proud of my hats, too ;)

52104,braunkappe02MZQW0.jpg

New wool in herringbone, lined with dark brown cotton

Very nice work, Hepville! Will you be taking orders?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Yes, rlk, thank you also. I just bought 1. I had ordered one from The Hat People and just got it saturday, but was not too happy with it. I think I will return it unless someone here wants it. I will post on the classifieds.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Yes, rlk, thank you also. I just bought 1. I had ordered one from The Hat People and just got it saturday, but was not too happy with it. I think I will return it unless someone here wants it. I will post on the classifieds.

I ordered a newsboy from B!Wear and the quality is great for the price and I really want to love it but I just don't, too puffy and odd fitting. It was cheap so I'll hold onto it, not worth the hassle of selling it.

Not sure if I should go with another newsboy cap that is a tad more muted or just a flat cap.

Here is the Kingly Cap after stretching from 6 7/8 to 7 1/8. I used a plant mister to dampen the headband area (without leather) both inside and out and stretched on the Garvé. I did it three times over several days. It worked very well, with no strain to the fabric or stitching. If you have a Garvé and try a damp stretch of a fabric hat, make note that the rivets holding the aluminum outside shell react to water and can stain. I learned this on an earlier project. Now I cover them with transparent tape.

121311_2.jpg

mattface

Practically Family
When a fedora is not the practical choice I like a cadet cap, or a similarly styled short bill hunting cap. my new acquisition in that department is pretty much my ideal cap.

Gentlemen I give you the Filson Mackinaw wool cap. With classic good looks and 24oz mackinaw wool, diamond quilted lining, and concealed wool ear flaps, it's versatile, warm and good looking!

Filson Mackinaw cap by mattface, on Flickr
Forgive the cellphone pic it's all I've got for now

AND as an added bonus it perfectly matches the Charcoal grey Filson Yukon wool Weekender jacket I just got! The pair were a christmas gift from my folks, and together they will keep me warm and looking good through the winter. Wool love! <3

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here is the Kingly Cap after stretching from 6 7/8 to 7 1/8 ... It worked very well, with no strain to the fabric or stitching.

This is proof of what I've been saying for a while: that anyone can successfully stretch a vintage cap a full 1/4 inch without adversely affecting its appearance. If the vintage cap has a leather sweatband all around it, the worst that can happen is that the leather may split in one place ... but in my experience, even this 'worst case scenario' doesn't affect the cap's comfort, wearability, or surface appearance at all.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
This is proof of what I've been saying for a while: that anyone can successfully stretch a vintage cap a full 1/4 inch without adversely affecting its appearance. If the vintage cap has a leather sweatband all around it, the worst that can happen is that the leather may split in one place ... but in my experience, even this 'worst case scenario' doesn't affect the cap's comfort, wearability, or surface appearance at all.

My experience is nearly the opposite. Old linen and cotton caps do not stretch in most cases. Unless the hat is pristine, interior parts will easily rip and shred simply by wearing let alone stretching. Thicker, more open weave fabrics in outstanding condition have the potential for a size increase perhaps. I find I am fortunate when a cap can be maintained up to its original tagged size. I generally have to go up a tagged size to get an older flat cap to fit at all. On the other hand, I have found hats marked 2 sizes large to fit perfectly. Caution and judgement is certainly in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles