Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
May I ask why everyone is so enamoured with leather sweatbands? I think they are a necessary evil in felt hats, but I don't understand the charm in a cap - I'm not a big fan of that horrible, greasy slick feeling if it gets warm and you start to sweat. They are prone to shrinking if you leave them in the sun. How do you clean a cap with a leather sweatband - dry cleaning? Maybe they give the cap some shape, but on the other hand, like a felt hat you may have to be careful how you sit them down. Is it just a case that a leather sweatband is seen as more authentic, or is there some practical benefit that I don't understand?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
For me the feel of a leather sweatband is way more comformable on my head. The coth bands are just there you may feel the roughness of the cloth. The leather sweatband is just a smooth feeling on the old cue ball.:)

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Yeah, I guess some cloth bands can be a bit roughish. I have a black akubra with a satin lining and boy is that fella hot - I'm gunna rip out the lining - but I don't find the feeling of your skin sticking to the leather that comfortable... so I haven't really searched for a leather band in a cap. Just ordered this Zasu cap - it looks well done. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250954719787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 Gunna be interesting to examine that crown - seems to be an octagonal kind of pattern at the apex instead of the usual triangle eight panel, perhaps to lengthen the crown? Eight panel lining is a good idea, I reckon - will shape the same way as the crown.

For me the feel of a leather sweatband is way more comformable on my head. The coth bands are just there you may feel the roughness of the cloth. The leather sweatband is just a smooth feeling on the old cue ball.:)

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I could be swayed on the leather hatband business, but there is no way anyone can convince me that polyester satin linings are a good thing. What is the point of having a breathable fabric like wool that is comfortable in changing temperatures, then sticking non breathable, perspiration inducing, stinky piece of crappy polyester inside of it?

Interestingly, 8-panel caps are almost (though not completely) unheard of in British vintage hats. The 'flat front' hats are pretty much all one finds, with a smattering of 8-darted models in amongst 'em.

bk

Thanks. Pre-1940s flat front caps (as opposed to eight-panel caps and eight-dart caps) are very difficult to find these days, especially in the U.S.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Just ordered this Zasu cap - it looks well done. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250954719787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 Gunna be interesting to examine that crown - seems to be an octagonal kind of pattern at the apex instead of the usual triangle eight panel, perhaps to lengthen the crown? Eight panel lining is a good idea, I reckon - will shape the same way as the crown.

Yes, let us know how this cap is I value your thoughts on caps. Might take a few days to get to Woop Woop Australia. :D

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Interestingly, 8-panel caps are almost (though not completely) unheard of in British vintage hats. The 'flat front' hats are pretty much all one finds, with a smattering of 8-darted models in amongst 'em.

bk

Is there anyone making vintage pattern flat panel caps? Marc has some great ones and I have seen some of the older English ones posted.But I haven't seen anyone doing a repo of the flat panel caps from the 20's and 30's.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another beauty from Adjustable Costume:

P1070046.JPG

Razzman

One Too Many
I looked at the Zasu Caps. They look well made, however they don't appear to have any interior hatband at all! The sizes are listed as about 7 1/4 or about 7 3/8. Looking forward to your thoughts after you receive it.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I looked at the Zasu Caps. They look well made, however they don't appear to have any interior hatband at all! The sizes are listed as about 7 1/4 or about 7 3/8. Looking forward to your thoughts after you receive it.
No they don't seem to, do they. There are a few things about them that don't seem convential, but they seem to have a bit of dimension about them. Oh well, there's only one way to find out what they are like. The one I ordered is 7 1/2, which is apparently 61cm, so it might be a little big.
Ralf Reynolds, the fella who makes them, is the guy playing the washboard in this. The caps those girls are wearing certainly aren't stingey in the brim department -
[video=youtube;8OeeNNVsMQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OeeNNVsMQw[/video]

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
I've just bought two caps:
the first one is a Stetson hatteras , it is an newsboy hat; the second one is an inexpensive basque made in Italy 100%wool.
I like very much both, they are so warm and they wear very well. I think I'll go to repeat this experience.
God bless You.

Razzman

One Too Many
Great looking caps gentlemen! Flat-top, that one is a beauty. I've never come across a vintage newsboy. The Town in which I reside has a couple of vintage shops and a Salvation Army store.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Lovely textured fabric in that cap, Bowlerman. Good look.... but smoking is bad for you :p

Thanks Adnamira. I think the look only really works with my hair tied back (or cut off, I suppose). If you looks carefully, you can see a small part of my pipe collection on the shelf in the background... ;) Honestly I hardly use them anymore, but they're difficult to get rid of.

Interestingly, the day I wore that cap out in town, I'm sure I saw two dozen people or more, of all ages, wearing flat caps too.

A new one from France in a grey gabardine material. Tous Les Sports. 8 darted single piece of fabric top. Could be from any time 50s and back. But probably 50s.

TousLesSports1.jpg

This is a great liner!

TousLesSports2.jpg

The "Chevalier" shot.

TousLesSports3.jpg

A non-functional, purely for show strap across the back of the bill.

TousLesSports4.jpg

bk

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Folks, I got perhaps a niave question. I went back thru a bunch of the pages on this thread and could not find the answer. So here goes; What is the reason for the snap on the front bill of the cap? Origination? Curious about this feature.

Thanks in advance, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara