Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
How the heck do you find these rarities? When I type in the search I get a minutia of modern caps that aren't vintage.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble seeing these caps. I'm not even looking for them expressly and yet come across the auctions. Just scroll through the BS (or set your search to exclude the bulk of it).

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Finally ordered a Hat People hat in a Medium Cut. I hope it's as good as everybody tells me it is!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
How the heck do you find these rarities? When I type in the search I get a minutia of modern caps that aren't vintage.

On eBay, a lot of new caps have the word "Vintage" in their auctions' titles. Misleading, of course, and it means that you have to slog through dozens of listings in order to find a cap that's truly old. Also, you sometimes have to wait weeks before a vintage 1920s-'40s cap auction pops up. (Note that vintage caps with a leather strap and buckle at the back are from the 1950s. They show up on eBay all the time.) The good news --if you have an eagle eye-- is that sellers don't always realize that their caps are from the Golden Era, and their auction descriptions don't say so. Vintage cap auctions without the words "1920s" or "1930s" are more likely to fly under the radar of collectors ... which means that you could win a bargain.

Also, how come the Japanese and other designers of vintage repros can make great products like denim, alohas, and workwear, but not replicate a simple 1920s 30s style 8 panel "gatsby" cap?
or maybe it isn't that simple?

I don't know, but there's a local California man --the grandson of silent film actress Zasu Pitts, in fact-- who makes pretty good repros of vintage caps by hand. I've seen these caps, and I'm impressed. He's always selling them on eBay, but Fedora Loungers seem to prefer other makers. An example of his work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1930s-S...-/260768292050?pt=US_Hats&hash=item3cb7005cd2

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Photo5-1.jpg

I made myself an 8-panel with a pattern I drafted following Qirrel's blog. I think it worked pretty well.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
He posted it earlier in this thread, but I've since bought one of Viper Man's Lofgren caps. I love this thing and will buy another in the future. The sweat is wider than most sweats I've seen on vintage caps, and it's also thicker, making it very comfortable.
DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Depending upon the cap, I think it starts at $60 and goes up to $90. The only one's currently available are denim and are $90. Shipping from Japan is free. Like I said, I love mine and will be buying another when more styles and/or materials become available.

Where to buy (and I agree that Chrome's translator makes this much better) -
Ok, you can get most of it on eBay here:

http://myworld.ebay.com/shopatspeedway/

Or on the Rakuten site here:

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/speedway-shop/

I would recommend using the free Google Chrome browser as it will automatically prompt you to translate to English.

John is an easy guy to contact and will definitely help you out in any way he can.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
'Lofgren' caps are very good, and they're getting steadily better.

FWIW and IMO, the best vintage '20s-'40s newsboy caps are still a cut above Lofgrens, but that may not be the case forever.

In any event, a 'Lofgren' in one's size is an easier catch than its vintage equivalent.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They're not quite one size, but they are S,M,L,XL. The L is pretty darn big, as I typically wear a 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 hat and the L is comfy and loose (but not too loose).

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Lofgren hats..?? I picked this up when I "googled";

72462973v2_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

Not quite the cap I expected. On the other hand much less expensive.

I continue on the hunt for the afore mentioned Lofgren cap. Eric -

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I’m wondering if I can get some quick help here. I’ve been eyeing the Belfry Street Grimwig for a while. It’s a normal-looking eight-panel cap, but it comes in peached cotton, which I haven’t seen before and find appealing. I’m in a quandry, though, as I’m right on the line between L (7 3/8) and XL (7 ½) in their sizing recommendations. I’m leaning toward the XL, but if anyone has any experience with this particular cap, I’d love to hear it.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran