Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Simonds

Vendor
Good job! Phebus, nice alignment too. One warning though, every piece of fabric that you see will now bring the question to mind, "umm I wonder what that would like in cap form"?

Last edited:

phebus

One of the Regulars
I see where you're coming from Ed, but I'm just not brave enough to sport a fuller cap! That's part of the reason I decided to make my own - I ordered one blindly from Ebay and it was GIGANTIC!

Thanks for the compliment Barry, that means a lot coming from you, I'm a big fan of your work! I spent a good deal of time making sure the alignment was as close as possible. And yes, I'm looking at everything wondering how it would look as a cap!

This was my first time using a sewing machine (at least since 7th grade Home Ec class) so it could be a lot better, but I had fun and I like the way it turned out.

HatsWV

New in Town
Don't be afraid to try a fuller cap I have a narrow face and still find that I prefer caps with generous proportions they have a more vintage look then what's commonly sold today and in my view they represent more value for the money (more fabric, larger hat.)

I see where you're coming from Ed, but I'm just not brave enough to sport a fuller cap! That's part of the reason I decided to make my own - I ordered one blindly from Ebay and it was GIGANTIC!

Thanks for the compliment Barry, that means a lot coming from you, I'm a big fan of your work! I spent a good deal of time making sure the alignment was as close as possible. And yes, I'm looking at everything wondering how it would look as a cap!

This was my first time using a sewing machine (at least since 7th grade Home Ec class) so it could be a lot better, but I had fun and I like the way it turned out.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Should show some pics of me wearing it.
(was afraid I'd break my good camera so I used the phone for these, haha)

Phebus, good job on your first cap! But I have to agree with Ed on the size. Looks very small on you, like if you got a size 6 3/4 cap and stretched it up to a 7 1/2.
How wide is your cap? Depending on your size, I think at least a 10 inch width on the cap would be good for you. I wear a size 7 3/8 and so does Ed and we like 11 inch width so that way you can cock it to one side, if you like. But mostly everyone here on the lounge like that larger vintage look; thats what makes them special. And not just the size, but the right cut on the crown and the bill too.
Since now you can make a cap, you can experiment with different sizes.
Enjoy!!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I went into a bakers shop near my home. The man working there was Turkish. He immediately commented on how nice my cap was (an eight-dart cap made by Johnny J)and said 'Eight points - just like the caps we make in Turkey'.

My question is this: Does anyone here have any experience of Turkish made caps and know of any good suppliers?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

It is a preciption thing when one first wears a larger size cap or Fedora it takes a while to get to enjoy the larger size. You have to get use to the size and not be self aware that you are wearing a larger size cap or Fedora. After you get over the nervous feeling and just "Wear" the hat you will come to a point where the smaller caps and fedora's of today will look funny too you.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a preciption thing when one first wears a larger size cap or Fedora it takes a while to get to enjoy the larger size. You have to get use to the size and not be self aware that you are wearing a larger size cap or Fedora. After you get over the nervous feeling and just "Wear" the hat you will come to a point where the smaller caps and fedora's of today will look funny too you.

I have to agree 100%. All my older, smaller caps just look wrong on me now.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went into a bakers shop near my home. The man working there was Turkish. He immediately commented on how nice my cap was (an eight-dart cap made by Johnny J)and said 'Eight points - just like the caps we make in Turkey'.

My question is this: Does anyone here have any experience of Turkish made caps and know of any good suppliers?
No knowledge about suppliers but I am sure I have seen some eight dart caps on the heads of elderly turkish men in germany. I didn't ask where they got them...maybe I should have. I thought it was a coincidence.

+1 on the smaller caps. I have several too because they were cheap and they were a good start...but I don't wear them anymore.

howardeye

Practically Family
Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll go ahead and tweak my pattern, making it a LITTLE larger. Baby steps!

I myself like the smaller diameter caps without a leather sweatband and prefer fedoras with brims 2 inches in width or less. My favorite beret is also in the 10 inch range.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
No knowledge about suppliers but I am sure I have seen some eight dart caps on the heads of elderly turkish men in germany. I didn't ask where they got them...maybe I should have. I thought it was a coincidence.

Time to start shopping in Turkish shops. I'm sure someone must sell them her in the UK and in Germany.

howardeye

Practically Family
Spending time with my brother in his new Simonds 8 Panel Workwear Cap. He lives in southern Florida in a beautiful private owned home that cares for disabled vets. The white Cordova 8 Dart Cap I am wearing worked well in the 89 degree heat.

A527F998-3C75-4471-BAE2-1448B0AB0DD8-634-000000EE15398E4F_zps5a62d1ac.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Bert
You both took great.
I am waiting for Johnny J to make a cap similar to yours
Looks sharp.

Your brothers cap is killer .

Simonds made me a similar cap to his & it is pure perfection.
I got to post pics up it is sweet like your brothers cap !
che

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy