Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Any paticular reason for this price structure, such as raw material or finishing cost, that you are aware of?

Splendid and scarce Derby that looks great on you, by the way.

Thanks, delectans.

That's funny, I was just posting something about this in another thread. You have to remember that in the '30s, most felt hats didn't cost anywhere near $20. Most Derbies (those few being sold, anyway) probably went for $10 or less. With Cavanagh, you're paying for the name. John Cavanagh liked to joke that the LTD in John Cavanagh, Ltd. stood for "Lay Twenty Down," which pretty much explains his pricing structure. The final cost of the Derby has no relation to the cost of the materials or labor, though Cavanagh hand-picked the best employees for the Cavanagh division, so they probably earned more than their counterparts elsewhere in the company, but that's only my guess. I think it's just that the Derby was a signature hat for Cavanagh, so there was really only one price level. The men that bought his Derbies didn't really care about the price.

In the soft hats, though, he even offered some as low as $15, reflecting, perhaps, that this was the current style favored by men around the world, and would become the best-selling of all the Cavanagh hats. Thus, they would have a pricing structure that better reflected real-world trends.

My best conjecture. :)

Brad

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you as always, Brad, for the light you shed on this remarkable era of American hat manufacture. :eusa_clap

Every anecdote or additional piece of information adds to our collective knowledge as well as the enjoyment and pleasure we derive from our vintage lids.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Chocolate Cavanagh wide brim

5422675864_ea77d2bd84_b.jpg
5422072151_41b18e5b42_b.jpg

5422916122_7b4535c785_b.jpg
5419306279_fc907a73ca_z.jpg
5422075309_4a23090aaa_z.jpg
5422060387_8c9aec0fc1_z.jpg
5419908140_1a44d006f5_z.jpg

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a beaut! A rare wide brim, and even more rare tip protector! Fantastic color, too. I'm envious.:)

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I recently checked under the sweatband of my Cavanagh 20ies/30ies Homburg. There are metal buttons right and left under the sweatband. Did anyone spot such a thing, too? What was the purpose?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I recently checked under the sweatband of my Cavanagh 20ies/30ies Homburg. There are metal buttons right and left under the sweatband. Did anyone spot such a thing, too? What was the purpose?

How's it going?

Sounds like a Carter Sweatband. It made the sweatband easily replaceable, as well as minimizing sweat traveling through to the felt. I don't think they lasted much beyond the '30s.

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hello Brad, thank you for the information! Interesting how inventive they were in the times.

I am fine apart from a bad cold that I cought last weekend in Athens :smow:

Dreispitz

One Too Many
It looks pretty much like in the link, Brad posted. I will see to maneuver the camera around the band the next days.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
'30s-'40s Homburg

I often wonder about the previous owners of our vintage lids, and most often they are known to us only by their initials. Once in a while, however, a hat comes along with provenance and history, and a name and face all of a sudden reaches across the decades to the here, and now.

Arthur I. Appleton was a Chicago industrialist, scion of the Appleton family whose patriarch originally immigrated to the United States from Sweden, and who started the family electrical company in Chicago in 1903. The younger Appleton eventually took over the reins to the company in 1947, eventually selling it to Emerson Electric in 1982.

Mr. Appleton married the Hollywood actress Martha O'Driscoll in 1947, and later went on to become one of America's most successful thoroughbred race horse breeders and owners, as well as donating his entire art collection to found the Appleton Museum Of Art in Ocala, Florida.

In 2008, Mr. Appleton passed away at the age of 92, and this hat remained in the possession of the family, who recently gave it to a family friend, and from whom I acquired it, via the 'Bay. I will be obtaining more history specifically pertaining to the hat in the near future.

The hat is a very dark, ink blue, and exquisitely made of lovely felt. I have left the hat creased as Mr. Appleton left it.

Delectans, That is a real beauty! Also a very unique / rare color combo (felt / ribbon & binding) for a Homburg. Super!

Brad, Belated Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo